Ft. Lauderdale advice?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Ft. Lauderdale advice?

Post by Sounder »

It's still a ways out, but I found out I'm going to Ft. Lauderdale early next year for work so I think Mrs. Sounder and I are going early to do some boat dives.

Has anyone done any diving off that coast? Recommendations for sites or charters? Thanks! :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

When next year??? Water temps change a lot depending on time of year. I have seen them in the low 70s to mid 80s. Keep in mind the jet stream can make a huge difference with water in the Atlantic, verses the Caribbean.

I was there for a few weeks 3 years ago. There is some great diving but it gets overshadowed by the Keys being so close. I actually liked it better than the Keys.

People down there diving are wussys. Water temp was 78 degrees (early April) and people are decked out in 7mm suits, hoods, and gloves. They were looking at me funny...telling me I would freeze if I didn't put a hood and gloves on with my 1mm suit. I was just fine. I told them they didn't know what cold was.

Anyway, the diving is great. Lots of cool wrecks! I really liked the Ancient Mariner. Depending on where you go, there is a lot of drift diving. The conditions down there are similar to Puget Sound, only warmer and different fish. Be prepared to see a shark or 2. Make sure the Mrs is ready for the conditions. Again, depending on the time of the year, conditions on the surface can be a little rough. Almost every charter I was on, people were barfing over the side. I thought it was fine. Again, I dive here so down there was fun and warm to me.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

78 degrees in a 7mm, hood, and gloves? :angryfire: I'd die of heat exhaustion!!! :angryfire: I got hot chasing crabs in early August at Mukilteo in a 7mm with hood and ended up taking it off and unzippnig my suit!

78 degrees sounds great! How was the vis? How is it "like the Puget Sound?" Confirmed - I'm going in April, how is it that time of year? A little bonine on the boat goes a long way in the puke department. :vom:

I love sharks - in Hawaii they and the turtle's were the highlight. What kind would you expect to see?

Is there any particular charter you recommend? When the time draws closer I'll hook up with some folks over there on SB too but I want to hear from people here first!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

I have some great friends that run a shop out of Delray Beach (just a little north of Fort Lauderdale) and they can most definately give you advice on charters and suit requirements. You can get them at (561)278-7020 and ask for Lee ... she is the owner.