Davidson Rock Help Needed

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Davidson Rock Help Needed

Post by Peter Guy »

I'm looking at doing a couple of Tech 1 Experience Dives this coming Saturday, 18 April. It has been suggested I (we) do Sares Head and Davidson Rock.

I've found GPS coordinates for Sares Head in Betty Pratt-Johnson's book (48.25.503N/122.40.347W) but I can't find any coordinates for Davidson Rock -- other than it's near Colville Island at the south end of Lopez.

Would one (or many?) of you please provide me with the GPS coordinates so that I don't do something totally stupid on Saturday?

Thanks.

Oh, and both dives will be live boat.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Davidson Rock Help Needed

Post by dsteding »

Peter--

It is charted, has a bit ole' channel marker on it. Lots of kelp too:

East of Colville Island, south of Point Colville. Drop in on the top of it, swim over edge, go down, do it when the currents work.

Would be a fun scooter dive.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There is a flashing green light on it, its Rosario Strait channel daymark number 1 as well. Go down anywhere on the SE, S, or SW sides. Its basically a pinnacle which rises to ~10ft below the surface. Depths to 200+ft on those sides. NE through NW its a bit shallower, 140ish.

From the USCG light list
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/LightLists/V6.2009.pdf
48deg 24min 47.707sec
122deg 48min 43.172sec

Current corrections (2 stations nearby) to Rosario Strait
slack before ebb = +0:17 to +0:46
slack before flood = +0:03 to +0:19

Right next to the shipping lane, so stay on the rock. The boat tender should to listen to VTS on 05a and keep clear of the large ships turning that corner.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Thank you gentlemen -- I did find the legend for the buoy on my chart.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Have fun, I'd suggest diving in the AM, sometime before noon.

Cornet Bay is (part of Deception Pass State Park) the closest + only ramp worth using. Don't even think about using Bowman Bay ramp, that only works for kayaks and really light weight dinghies and such. Be careful running back through Deception Pass at max ebb (-4.7kn, 2pm), esp. if there's a west breeze blowing.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Be sure to post a dive report when you get back! I love that dive site. If you find a dive computer down there it's mine! It's only been down there for a few years so I'm sure it's still down there and still working!

FYI-Lighthouse Diving publishes and sells a boat dives boat just for the San Juan's that you might find useful.