instead of diving one weekend

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sparky
I've Got Gills

instead of diving one weekend

Post by sparky »

I would like to propose that instead of getting to gether for a dive. one weekend in the near future
I thinkk it would be a good idea if we could all get to gether at say Wallie's dive shop and invite Janna Nicholes up to give us her Reef Fish Id class I dont know how much it would be but I think it would be grate fun as I know every diver I know seeks her input when iding a critter they dont know and it would be a good way for us as a club to to something to suport a grate thing like Reef

if any one else would be intrested I would contact Wally and Janna both to see if we could set it up and how much she would charge for a club class I would think she would not charge that much
I know she ( Janna ) does both a Fish and a Invertabrit class would we want to take one or the other or both maybe over a couple weekends or spread out

this is something I had been wanting to do for some time is to take her classes.

just a thought.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Sounds great to me...and you know what? After the class you get to do a dive and go ID Critters...
Set it up! :)
K
"Let's go diving!"
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Good idea Spark' I think if it is something we do pursue it should be scheduled around diving not instead of. Lets start with getting a idea of just who would be interested in attending before we take any other steps...if all interested would respond to this thread that will be a good indication of if and how to proceed.. Good suggestion Spark' let's see how it pans out.
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave wrote:Good idea Spark' I think if it is something we do pursue it should be scheduled around diving not instead of. Lets start with getting a idea of just who would be interested in attending before we take any other steps...if all interested would respond to this thread that will be a good indication of if and how to proceed.. Good suggestion Spark' let's see how it pans out.
Well Dave I waqs thinking there might be some class work she teaches as well and did not know how much time she would need but Ill email her and se if I can get some info from her better yet im going to ask her to log in and post on here her self.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I visited the web sight of Janna AKA northwestscubamom
and this is what I found I thought I would post the link here for you guys to look over let me know what you think and I also invited janna to visit our site and if she was so inclined to join out Pod

please visit her site and check out what her course offers
http://www.pnwscuba.com/classes/inverts.htm

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

sparky wrote:I visited the web sight of Janna AKA northwestscubamom
and this is what I found I thought I would post the link here for you guys to look over let me know what you think and I also invited janna to visit our site and if she was so inclined to join out Pod

please visit her site and check out what her course offers
http://www.pnwscuba.com/classes/inverts.htm

Sparky
Hey Spark,,, Yep I already visit her site on a regular basis it is a nice resource for dive site reviews and has a lot of neat information. If we can get a group that wants to do the class that would be super. I know that this month I am already taking my rescue cert. class so I couldn't do anything else to soon but I for one am interested in continuing my dive related education. So again , if anyone is interested please respond to Spark's thread here.
Thanks Guys.
=D>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sounds like an interesting idea. Then we don't have to say "man, did you see all the orange/yellow squigglies last dive, they were AWESOME!!!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Spark,
What have you found out about the class?
K
"Let's go diving!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi guys!

I never knew this place existed!

Anyway, is it Fish ID you're wanting? Or Invertebrate ID? PADI specialty or not? Associated dives or just classroom?

Each class takes a good 4 -5 hours of classroom work, and then if you'd like to do dives afterwards, we'd have to work that in too.

Cost will depend on how many people, PADI specialty or not, dives or not, and if you want it at a dive shop, usually the dive shop needs some compensation as well for their time and the classroom.

Keep me posted!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm sure we can find a place to do it other than a dive shop, that's free. Is it a possibility for some to do it as a PADI specialty and not others? I'd be happy to do the dives along with the class, to reinforce what we learn. What about materials, do we need books? :book:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The PADI specialty requires two dives to complete, plus for Fish, there is an extra amount of classwork that needs to be done, regarding PADI Project AWARE. That usually takes an additional half hour.

So, it works best if everyone either does it as a specialty, or doesn't.

I've taught at many dive shops who chose to do the classroom stuff in the morning, than break for lunch and meet up for one dive. That tends to work a lot better than trying to squeeze two dives in after a very full morning of brainwork and lunch.

And since I don't live in the area, it would be really nice if we could work it out so I wouldn't have to make it into an overnight stay if possible...(about a 3 hour drive for me up to seattle area)

Another thought you might want to consider, if you're interested in a free class - without dives though - would be the class that SeaDoc Society is sponsoring in Olympia on April 29th, and then again at the Seattle Aquarium on June 10th. Both fish and invertebrates are covered on those days, and they are indeed FREE.

And I do offer an option for those attending the free classes, to add an add'l $75 for the addition of doing the two certification dives on another day to turn it into the PADI specialty class.

Just some thoughts - knock it around a bit!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Janna thanks for popping in

I am with Calvin I would like to go for the Cert and the dives as well
what better way to improve your Critter spotting skills then diving with a expert like Janna?

how about the rest of you guys what do we think

And once againe thanks to Janna aka Noertwestscubamom

for posting here this will make our life much easer trying to work it all out

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

That's some good information Janna and welcome to the site! We need to get our heads together and figure out what everyone wants to do so that it works out for everyone,,,thanks for the information and we will get our act together shortly. I agree with Spark and Calvin and would want to do it as a complete specialty.

:partyman:
bet63
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bet63 »

Tacoma Scuba would be glad to provide a free space and air for a REEF class. Let us know when and we will help set it up.

Brian
bet63
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bet63 »

Hey All,
I have arranged for Janna to teach this class on Friday evening April 7th 6pm -10pm and then dive on Saturday morning at Titlow.

tacoma scuba will provide the classroom space and free air for the dives at Titlow.

Please let me know who is interested.

Brian
http://www.info@tacomascuba.net
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

"Free" is a good thing!
I might be joining ya' all once I know the total cost.
I need special Authorization on the $$ part of my Scuba hobby right now. ](*,)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

OK, so it sounds like you guys want the PADI specialty class, which includes the classroom part (4-5 hours worth), two dives, and the specialty card.

Price is normally $125 but Brian has graciously offered his classroom for use, so the price will drop to $100.

Might be fun to have a BBQ or something? Or potluck munchies?

I'm concerned that if we start at 6pm, we'll run too late since we have an additional 30 min we have to add in the Fish ID class to cover the Project AWARE specialty part.

Text is recommended, but not required - Brian, you might want to stock a few of these in your shop - just an idea...

More details about the class here:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/classes/fishid.htm

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm in for the class for $100 and the two dives the next day. Brian, thank you so much for offering the classroom and air to us \:D/

scubamom, are you coming from Vancouver WA or BC?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Well, I am not concerned if we run a bit later than 10PM, or could we do the half hour before diving at Titlow the next day? As for some munchies or BBQ, I am sure we can figure something out.
Sign me up, and I think I might bring a couple of dive buddys along.
I will let you know and Thanks Sparky, and all for setting this up.
Kirsten
PS. Is anyone interested in a tides/currents class? PM Me.
"Let's go diving!"
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Count me in
:partyman:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

can you gess whats comeing?

yep you got it I cant make it that weekend I am up to my well you get the idea in home home repaires we had to have a new roof put on the place and now I get to fix water dammage to the celing lucky me

I tried and tried to talk the wife in to giveing me a weekend of but no dice.

I was hopeing we were going to take a little bit longer to set this up
I would have to come up woith the fee and a hotel for the weekend

OH well at least you guys will benafit from at least one good idea I had

I am starting to think I will never dive againe
let alone get my wing and dry suite :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

any one got some chese to go with this wine.

Maybe next time

I might be able to sneak out for the dive on that saturday though.

I am going to get a dive in next month if I have to run a way from home to do it

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Spark' don't make us come down there and dump a bucket of salt water on you just to see you wet!!!!! Just joking, that's a bummer :pale:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Dave wrote:Spark' don't make us come down there and dump a bucket of salt water on you just to see you wet!!!!! Just joking, that's a bummer :pale:
at this rate Bro I would let you
I think my wet suite is starting to think its a dry suite by now

I might come up for the day on Saturday to at least make the dive with you guys. if they dont want me to work that saturday im not going to offer

I can sneak out for the dive at least before the wife notices im gone
I hope.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I wouls also like to take the course as a specialty padi. so count me in aswell.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Spark,
Ask Janna if you can't do some of the class online or something...or at least do the dive and fill out the survey and do some home study for the specialty class I am sure she can work around it.
K
"Let's go diving!"