Drag the boat to Neah Bay or go 4 Wheeling?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Drag the boat to Neah Bay or go 4 Wheeling?

Post by pensacoladiver »

I just remembered Monday is a holiday and our CO is giving us Friday off! 4 day weekend for me. Unfortunately, wife has work Friday and kiddo has school, but Monday is off for everyone.

I would like to go 4 wheeling at Moses Lake this weekend, BUT I could very easily have my arm twisted to take the boat over to Neah Bay on either the last ferry Friday night on the first one Saturday morning. Dive all day Saturday, Sunday, and either come home Sunday night or sometime Monday. Probably stay at Snow Creek Cabins or anywhere that will have me.

I don't want to dive by myself though, so anyone want to twist me arm a little?

If not, look out Moses lake!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Drag the boat to Neah Bay or go 4 Wheeling?

Post by LCF »

Moses Lake will be a zoo this weekend. It's the worst weekend of the year. I know, because I work in the ER there, and handle the MASH unit that it becomes on Memorial Day weekend. Hope you can find some dive buddies. I'll be working . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh crap, the WHOLE weekend? Yeah I wish I could, that sounds like a great time Chad. Good Luck!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I have also not ruled out the possibility of doing some Halibut fishing here locally if nothing else comes together. Of course, I have no idea what kind of setup I need to catch a Halibut. I know there has to be someone out there that can send me a few pointers on rod and reel setup... line size, leader size, weights, hook size, bait, trolling speed? drifting?, etc... Could you just catch it and fillet it for me too? :-)
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Chad,

Wish I could be there. I will have my dive gear up at our cabin at Eliza Island. My big dive will be to set the mooring line for the season. Woo Hoo :partydance: . The following weekend I will be camping in the islands with my youngest son. Really need to get some good dives in.

Scott
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Scuba Scott wrote:Chad,

Wish I could be there. I will have my dive gear up at our cabin at Eliza Island. My big dive will be to set the mooring line for the season. Woo Hoo :partydance: . The following weekend I will be camping in the islands with my youngest son. Really need to get some good dives in.

Scott
Well, if it works out good, I will probably go back again later this summer. I would love to have you come along.

I assume you got your water pump problem fixed on your boat?
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Yes,

Great story. Towed the boat to LaConner and had the heat exchanger welded by a Harley shop. Only game in town that had the tools to do it. Back on the water and limited out in shrimp.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Wow, did you accomplish all of that on Saturday?
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Yes,

And back to the Anacortes House for garlic shrimp and ribs.

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I have a fairly stout halibut rod I could bring up for you on Thursday. It is wound with 40lb Test but perhaps I could pick up 80lb cheap at the Joe's liquidation. I don't have much tackle beyond large lead head jigs.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:I have also not ruled out the possibility of doing some Halibut fishing here locally if nothing else comes together. Of course, I have no idea what kind of setup I need to catch a Halibut. I know there has to be someone out there that can send me a few pointers on rod and reel setup... line size, leader size, weights, hook size, bait, trolling speed? drifting?, etc... Could you just catch it and fillet it for me too? :-)
I did quite a bit of halibut fishing in Alaska........we used 80# dacron line, large lead weights, & LARGE white rubber jigs.......then just drop it to the bottom, bring it up a couple of feet, and start bouncing it along the bottom (the boat is anchored in deep water). Enventually something would bite, and you haul it up. The biggest one I ever caught was 180# (we would shoot them before bringing them on board). i don't know if the gear is any different if you're fishing for smaller halibut, or for that matter, how big they get around here. Mmmmmm, I love halibut!!
Thanks. I found a website that says pretty much the exact same you did. Talking to locals though, they say you need live bait here or are wasting your time. Guess I need to break out the Sabiki rig.

I saw a guy at PT Townsend last weekend cleaning one that I would guess was around 40 pounds. He said he caught it right near PT Townsend. That piqued my curiosity.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

renoun wrote:I have a fairly stout halibut rod I could bring up for you on Thursday. It is wound with 40lb Test but perhaps I could pick up 80lb cheap at the Joe's liquidation. I don't have much tackle beyond large lead head jigs.
Thanks. I already have 2 rods and reels that will fit the bill nicely. It sounds like the setup is pretty much the same as for large grouper and snapper fishing in the warm warm warm waters of Florida. Did I mention I like warm water by any chance? :laugh:

Halibut fishing is going to have to wait another week anyways. I am heading to Neah Bay this weekend. \:D/
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

pensacolaracer wrote:I have also not ruled out the possibility of doing some Halibut fishing here locally if nothing else comes together. Of course, I have no idea what kind of setup I need to catch a Halibut. I know there has to be someone out there that can send me a few pointers on rod and reel setup... line size, leader size, weights, hook size, bait, trolling speed? drifting?, etc... Could you just catch it and fillet it for me too? :-)

Drift the current. I can set you up with the complete package if you want to borrow it. Rod, Reel, lures, hooks I think. 80# test. Times 2 if you need extra for a buddy.
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

billandwende wrote:
Drift the current.
I like the sound of that advice. Any recommendations on areas around Whidbey. I have heard the "pinnacle" just southeast of Keystone is good. I managed to find it on a chart and marked it on my GPS.

What depth of water are you usually in?

Are you using live bait or jigs all the time?

Someone told me perch is a great bait to use. BUT, the only place around Whidbey I see perch is Langley and I sure don't want to drive all the way down there just to catch a few perch. lol

Anyone had any luck catching bait around the Keystone area?
Sorry in advance if I am turning this thread into a "fishing forum. :threadjacked:
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

pensacolaracer wrote:
billandwende wrote:
Drift the current.
I like the sound of that advice. Any recommendations on areas around Whidbey. I have heard the "pinnacle" just southeast of Keystone is good. I managed to find it on a chart and marked it on my GPS.
Sorry I only have fished Port Angeles. I just know your looking for flat sandy bottoms.
pensacolaracer wrote:What depth of water are you usually in?
100 to 150
pensacolaracer wrote:Are you using live bait or jigs all the time?
Jigs only but no success
pensacolaracer wrote:Someone told me perch is a great bait to use. BUT, the only place around Whidbey I see perch is Langley and I sure don't want to drive all the way down there just to catch a few perch. lol

Anyone had any luck catching bait around the Keystone area?
Sorry in advance if I am turning this thread into a "fishing forum. :threadjacked:
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

Ill be in Quilcene on Sunday. You still planning on going out west?
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Stu wrote:Ill be in Quilcene on Sunday. You still planning on going out west?
Yep. Will be leaving tomorrow night after wife gets off work. Cabins out there are booked full, so we will be camping/tenting. There are currently 3 other divers going. I could squeeze one more in if interested. We might very well end up with 2 boats out there also. That is still in the works.
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

pensacolaracer wrote:
Stu wrote:Ill be in Quilcene on Sunday. You still planning on going out west?
Yep. Will be leaving tomorrow night after wife gets off work. Cabins out there are booked full, so we will be camping/tenting. There are currently 3 other divers going. I could squeeze one more in if interested. We might very well end up with 2 boats out there also. That is still in the works.
Thanks for the invite. If you don't here from me by 1500 today I can not make it.