Diving June 17-21

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Diving June 17-21

Post by eliseaboo »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice. I have a friend coming out to visit me before I leave for home again (sad, as I will truly miss the diving out here!) and I wanted to come up with some sites to dive. Of course, all other divers are welcome, the more the merrier :) I was hoping to do one or two at Edmonds, one at Redondo...and other than that I'm at a loss...I don't have much experience with the area's sites. The dates also coincide with my birthday :bday: on the 19th, so I'm hoping to do something really cool that day. That also happens to be a Friday. Just sayin' is all.

I've heard the diving up north (Vancouver area) is phenomenal, and since we'll be out this far anyway to just go the extra step and dive there, but I know nothing about diving up there. Any suggestions? I was thinking of going up for a day on the 20th, but would that be excessively expensive on a Saturday? I'm not sure what time their flight is the 21st, so diving the 20th may be limited anyway.

Also, if anyone finds they are free during those dates, any time of day, let me know -- we will meet up for a dive!

Thanks much in advance :80sdance:
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Re: Diving June 17-21

Post by ldevore »

I dove Porteau Cove in North Vancouver last weekend and it was FANTASTIC!!! :partydance: They have a great set-up for divers, although you do need to be in shape for a bit of a surface swim! I didn't dive the wreck, but the folks who did, said it was a solid 20 min kick to get out to it. I did 2 dives on the artificial reef (10 min kick) and could have happily done several more without seeing everything. This was my first time there, and I am not sure how the currents play out. Our first dive was at slack, so no problem. The second dive had some ripping surface currents, but it was fine once we dropped down. As far as viz goes... the first 15-20 feet were muck, then it opened up to a beautiful 25-30 feet.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Here is some good info on Vancouver http://divevancouver.net/ I understand Whytecliff Park is supposed to be a great site. Here is the write up on it. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada ... /index.htm
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

So I think we've decided to axe the Canada idea...there is just too little time and there are two divers versus 4 non-divers that will be here, so staying closer seems to make more sense.

I kind of want to dive these three sites: Keystone, Redondo, and EUP. I know Keystone can be current sensitive, but I'm not sure how to check for that...I'm also thinking that Thursday night will have to be a definite dive night for us. If anyone is free one of these days and wants to go to one of these sites, or another site in the area, let me know! So far we don't really have any plans, it's all pretty flexible. My dive buddy and his fiance want to do dinner at the Needle one night, and perhaps I'll find something to do with my family that night as well, but other than that...the week is open!

So who wants to dive?? :boucegreen: