Thank You Josh Smith

Announcements and updates about the site
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Thank You Josh Smith

Post by Tangfish »

I would like to take this opportunity to honor and express our collective gratitude to Joshua Smith aka “Nailer99” for his many years of service as a Northwest Dive Club Moderator. Josh has just concluded his (I think) third tour of duty as a Mod, and has probably spent more time in that role, and as an Admin of this site, than anyone else has, including me.

Josh has seen this dive club grow from (what Sparky used to affectionately call it) “a little POD (Pool of Divers)” to what it is today. I can be completely honest in saying that NWDC would not be what it is today were it not for his involvement, steady hand, love for diving and compassion for his fellow divers as people; Josh has seen this little dive club through some pretty rough stretches, and always managed to step up to whatever challenge was thrown at him.

By the same token, I think I can safely say that Josh probably would not have become the diver that he is today (how many times have you been on the Governor now, dude?), were it not for NWDC. I remember him showing up at Cove 2 one Wednesday evening, fresh out of OW, with a wing that was wayyy to big for a single tank, and I think I said something along the lines of “Taco TUESDAY dude, TUESDAY!” He became fast friends with many of us here, and those friendships have and will continue to endure for many years, and in so many contexts beyond diving. Okay, I better stop with the bromance, before it becomes weird or I start crying. :partyman:

I know it won’t be his last term as a Mod, but for now he has more pressing things to attend to in life and career. I wish him the absolute best in those endeavors, and I hope that you all join me in expressing the same. Also, ask him out for a dive if you haven’t lately, or haven’t at all. He needs to get in the water.

PS, Josh - Laying down the Mod badge for a cycle or two does not give you free license to roam free and away from the board altogether, dude. We expect healthy doses of your usual snarchasm around here on a regular basis, homie.

:joshsmith: <3

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Thank You Josh Smith

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks Josh! All of you NWDC guys do a great job!!

Best of luck out there!! :)
Hope to dive with you sometime!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thank you Josh. I have made many friends, some hopefully lifelong, due to NWDC. I appreciate the part you have played in keeping this site going. Best of Luck to you!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thank you Josh.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Sniffle
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Miss him already. :crybaby:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Props Josh!! And a tip of the hat to ya for a job well done and always being fair, unbiased and laying down the hammer when needed!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

Since I now work with Josh, I promise to keep a close eye on him and will continue to nag him to go diving!
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Farewell from the Mod corner, but welcome to the party corner! :partyman: :taco:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tangfish wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to honor and express our collective gratitude to Joshua Smith aka “Nailer99” for his many years of service as a Northwest Dive Club Moderator. Josh has just concluded his (I think) third tour of duty as a Mod, and has probably spent more time in that role, and as an Admin of this site, than anyone else has, including me.

Josh has seen this dive club grow from (what Sparky used to affectionately call it) “a little POD (Pool of Divers)” to what it is today. I can be completely honest in saying that NWDC would not be what it is today were it not for his involvement, steady hand, love for diving and compassion for his fellow divers as people; Josh has seen this little dive club through some pretty rough stretches, and always managed to step up to whatever challenge was thrown at him.

By the same token, I think I can safely say that Josh probably would not have become the diver that he is today (how many times have you been on the Governor now, dude?), were it not for NWDC. I remember him showing up at Cove 2 one Wednesday evening, fresh out of OW, with a wing that was wayyy to big for a single tank, and I think I said something along the lines of “Taco TUESDAY dude, TUESDAY!” He became fast friends with many of us here, and those friendships have and will continue to endure for many years, and in so many contexts beyond diving. Okay, I better stop with the bromance, before it becomes weird or I start crying. :partyman:

I know it won’t be his last term as a Mod, but for now he has more pressing things to attend to in life and career. I wish him the absolute best in those endeavors, and I hope that you all join me in expressing the same. Also, ask him out for a dive if you haven’t lately, or haven’t at all. He needs to get in the water.

PS, Josh - Laying down the Mod badge for a cycle or two does not give you free license to roam free and away from the board altogether, dude. We expect healthy doses of your usual snarchasm around here on a regular basis, homie.

:joshsmith: <3

[img]http&#58;//i&#46;imgur&#46;com/BArzzWZ&#46;jpg[/img]
Thanks, Calvin. I'm really touched by this. I've made lifelong "help you get rid of the evidence" friends through this board. And the first one was you. I can't recall, but I think I was like the 25th-35th person to join this board. Fresh out of OW and AOW, with 11 dives logged....what an incredible ride it's been! I will be eternally grateful for the friendships and opportunities I've been blessed with, all because I joined here. And I'm not done, I'm just on a hiatus right now. But thank you for the props.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

What can I say. Josh, I will miss you. Since my first Whidbey Critters postings, you, the Nailer99 provided me with encouraging posts and although we never dived together, I considered you my diving buddy. Happy sailing on whatever voyage of life you are embarking. Thank you.
Jan
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown