is it just me, or ...

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: is it just me, or ...

Post by Dashrynn »

[quote="lamont]
Dashrynn wrote: all i read was "im more nerdier than the rest of you and heres a long list to prove me right"
I believe you read it correctly then... I must establish myself as the Dominant AlphaGeek when it comes to system engineering...[/quote]

i believe you and defied and airsix will dominate but you will have to dominate each other.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

lamont wrote:NetApps are awesome, but 'spensive.

One guy on IRC commented one time that EMC shops are full of people who are broke and are constantly responding to pagers, shops with NetApps are equally as broke, but they get to sleep all night long.

They're the only piece of equipment I think I've come across that I think is really four 9's, maybe five...
I can agree to this. Great equipment, not the most profitable business.
I'd say a Netscaler 17000 instead of BigIP.
How dare you...
The Netscalers are actually really good machines, and they are our biggest competitor (Juniper was.... was...).
We have them owned in the platform market, but if I recall, their pricing is better. They are, however, heading down the same business model path of many other shops, where they lowball as much as they can and end up losing the developers who want the big bucks, because they can no longer afford raises. But, like I said. They are great competition, and are very good at what they do.
I don't know what kind of compression they're running, but at work we only get about 10:1 compression, tops, which is still only about 100Mbps peak utilization of the network to any virt host.

We're thinking of going to 4900M's or equivalent switches from Juniper and running a complete 10Gig access layer now (which i think is back in the regime of massive overkill).

Anyway, if this is a hosted service, then it really should be changed to a different hosting service... I could probably run this better out of my server at home on a DSL line based on how well its been doing lately, and i figured this was just Josh's or someone's pet project -- but if this is a pay-for service, that is kind of bad...

Actually, thing to do would probably be to just run it in EC2 and rent space from Amazon... That's also virtualized, but the servers there are not as oversubscribed and you really get a guarantee of how much RAM and CPU horsepower you get...
this I STRONGLY agree with. The cost of running this system on EC2 with their new database application would be comparable to what they are paying now for this lousy service. I too believe I could build a compression schema that would allow better performance from my home server than what Dreamhost is giving these guys now.
Yeah, clearly if you do get smacked by a worm, it isn't going to obey the kinds of courtesy in terms of hits per second that the Google webcrawlers at least attempt to...

And its Russian mafia and other criminal organizations operating outside of the reach of USA law enforcement which is responsible for a lot of the blackmailing operations and attacking people for profit...
Yeah, but they do manage to make the big bucks off of it.... sigh.... 0]
Dashrynn wrote: all i read was "im more nerdier than the rest of you and heres a long list to prove me right"
I believe you read it correctly then... I must establish myself as the Dominant AlphaGeek when it comes to system engineering...
You may have met your match my friend.... Well... I usually try not to spout off about what I know, so maybe not. And I'm more network engineering, and kernel level platform integration....

D(B)
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Dashrynn wrote:[quote="lamont]
I believe you read it correctly then... I must establish myself as the Dominant AlphaGeek when it comes to system engineering...
i believe you and defied and airsix will dominate but you will have to dominate each other.[/quote]

I bet, Lamont, Ben and I could do some nasty dirty dangerous 'cooba 'speriments that would someday rule the world, or destroy it....

D(B)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

They are copying and pasting off of

www.rantaboutnetworksserversandDBslikeyouhaveapair.com

:roll:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Norris wrote:They are copying and pasting off of

http://www.rantaboutnetworksserversandD ... eapair.com

:roll:
Silly billy, that website doesn't exist! 0]

Code: Select all

]# whois www.rantaboutnetworksserversandDBslikeyouhaveap                                                                air.com
[Querying whois.internic.net]
[whois.internic.net]

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

No match for domain "WWW.RANTABOUTNETWORKSSERVERSANDDBSLIKEYOUHAVEAPAIR.COM".
D(B)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Oh crapsticks (sorry about the language) YOU CAUGHT ME.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

defied wrote:
lamont wrote:NetApps are awesome, but 'spensive.

One guy on IRC commented one time that EMC shops are full of people who are broke and are constantly responding to pagers, shops with NetApps are equally as broke, but they get to sleep all night long.

They're the only piece of equipment I think I've come across that I think is really four 9's, maybe five...
I can agree to this. Great equipment, not the most profitable business.
Actually I think that most storage like this is about to get severely disrupted. Google, Amazon and Yahoo all built their storage based on GoogleFS-like clusters of cheap commodity servers that push the $/GB down to about 2x the cost of picking up the drives themselves at fry's (4x the cost of spindles at Fry's if you duplicate the data). EMC and NetApp can't compete with that kind of cost structure.

Its just a matter of time before everyone is either using Amazon/Google for file storage, or else everyone is "building their own cloud" with open source products like Hadoop on commodity hardware, and EMC/NetApp and other expensive storage providers become marginalized.

The only problem right now is people almost universally don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to "the cloud", the only thing is that IT managers universally know that they want it.

Just like Linux killed off all the Big Iron proprietary Unixes, Hadoop and S3 are about to at least severely punish EMC.
I'd say a Netscaler 17000 instead of BigIP.
How dare you...
The Netscalers are actually really good machines, and they are our biggest competitor (Juniper was.... was...).
We have them owned in the platform market, but if I recall, their pricing is better. They are, however, heading down the same business model path of many other shops, where they lowball as much as they can and end up losing the developers who want the big bucks, because they can no longer afford raises. But, like I said. They are great competition, and are very good at what they do.
Ah, I didn't realize that's where you worked.

If the Netscaler guys let their talent cash out and leave, they could fall behind. So far I haven't seen that. The VPX virutalized load balancer images are also really useful to play with since I can set one up on in a lab environment on a XenServer host and test things out without having to play games with our one pre-production load balancer. Being a system engineer and not a network engineer I have zero budget for pre-prod load balancers just to mess around with, but I do have a host or two running XenServer.

And that's where I think that both you and VMware may have some serious problems, since Citrix isn't a one-trick shop.
this I STRONGLY agree with. The cost of running this system on EC2 with their new database application would be comparable to what they are paying now for this lousy service. I too believe I could build a compression schema that would allow better performance from my home server than what Dreamhost is giving these guys now.
Yeah, I just responded to the Ivar's thread and its still running slow, and its just this site (well, and scubaboard, but that is always slow too).
You may have met your match my friend.... Well... I usually try not to spout off about what I know, so maybe not. And I'm more network engineering, and kernel level platform integration....
On the networking front, once you get into BGP then I'm lost. I've got a reasonably strong RFC-level knowledge of OSPF, but don't have any actual keyboard-level knowledge of that. When it comes to edge-networking of servers, I become much more of an expert -- so, I debugged things like the way that full-NAT loadbalancers violate the PAWS/TCP Timestamp RFCs and what that can do to very high TPS servers as you start reusing TIME_WAIT sockets and the RSTs that can get sent back by servers via just spelunking in the kernel code looking for where the linux stack will send a RST in response to an initial SYN. I also did most of the server-level security at Amazon since the security team there was mostly SDEs and didn't like doing SA work (I had an open invite to join them, but never did, since most of their day-to-day crap was just phishing site takedowns -- which got outsourced after I left), and did most of the global server configuration management when I was there -- which went from 400 machines when I was hired, to doing config pushes to 30,000 servers when I left. So, I've updated something like 15,000 servers running RH7.2 and old ssh 1.2.27 sshd binaries to openssh-4.0p1, along with building most of the gold standard image of what Amazon was using (patching the config management infrastructure they had when I got there to support the concept of a global image and then doing 80 out of about 100 of the commits to that global image when i left). In addition to that was just handling all the edge condition escalation for things that wouldn't happen once in 10 years at a site with 200 servers, but which happen once a month when you've got 30,000 servers.

Oh yeah, I helped port NMAP to a half dozen different platforms back after Fyodor first posted it on Phrack (An interesting project into discovering all the undocumented bullshit in different RAW socket implementations in Solaris, Digital Unix, Irix, etc), and wrote my own Digital Unix shellcode for buffer overflows back when nobody though you could buffer overflow Digital Unix (R.I.P. DEC Alpha).

What we really need to do, though, is get a bunch of us AlphaGeeks together to in a startup and make some serious DiveUnits... I just don't have any useful ideas for a business plan...