Sort order for Dive Site Listings forum

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

When I login and there are new posts in the Dive Site Listings forum the threads are sorted alphabetically by default. I find myself scrolling down and clicking through multiple pages to find the thread that's been updated. I fiddled with changing the sort order the other day but couldn't find a setting that would bring the latest posts to the top of the list. Now I don't see any new posts to test with and give you full details or an example, but is there a way for me to get them sorted so I can easily see what's new? Thanks.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

The listings are sorted alphabetically per calvin's request. There is no way to resort them on the fly per user.

To view new posts, I would recommend the "view new posts" or "view active topics" links in the header.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: Sort order for Dive Site Listings forum

Post by whatevah »

Ah - that explains it. "view active topics" will work just fine - thanks for your response.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

With all my Jedi experience in using the alphabet, I can't see why anyone would have a problem just finding the dive site they wanted using alphabetical order. Libraries have used it for years, and it just seems like sorting by what's new only adds unnecessary complexity to a skill that could potentially prevent you from being able to exit the library faster than you would if you just stuck to alphabetical order.

(Enter multi-quoted rebuttals here)

I just can't see how it would be safer or even make sense to change something that has worked for the library system for so long, and which has also worked for the NWDC users when looking up dive sites for years. A change like this would clearly create unnecessary risk and would delay the user from getting to what they really needed to be doing... which is obviously to be able to check out their books within 30' of the exit.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:With all my Jedi experience in using the alphabet, I can't see why anyone would have a problem just finding the dive site they wanted using alphabetical order. Libraries have used it for years, and it just seems like sorting by what's new only adds unnecessary complexity to a skill that could potentially prevent you from being able to exit the library faster than you would if you just stuck to alphabetical order.

I just can't see how it would be safer or even make sense to change something that has worked for the library system for so long, and which has also worked for the NWDC users when looking up dive sites for years. A change like this would clearly create unnecessary risk and would delay the user from getting to what they really needed to be doing... which is obviously to be able to check out their books within 30' of the exit.
Fictitious dive sites are entered alpahbetically.
Non-fictitious dive sites should be cataloged using the Dewey decimal system

Like, duh
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:With all my Jedi experience in using the alphabet, I can't see why anyone would have a problem just finding the dive site they wanted using alphabetical order. Libraries have used it for years, and it just seems like sorting by what's new only adds unnecessary complexity to a skill that could potentially prevent you from being able to exit the library faster than you would if you just stuck to alphabetical order.

Fictitious dive sites are entered alpahbetically.
Non-fictitious dive sites should be cataloged using the Dewey decimal system

Like, duh
Damn it, you're right (my retired UW Library Science professor mother would kill me if she found out). It's just the whole suggestion of something as hazardous as organizing them by current content has me questioning the Jedi-Ninja-experience I was so confident in... my ivory tower is crumbling beneath my feet.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote: It's just the whole suggestion of something as hazardous as organizing them by current content has me questioning the Jedi-Ninja-experience I was so confident in... my ivory tower is crumbling beneath my feet.
... so would those sites with variable or unpredictable current be listed first or last? :stir:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Bob,

I'm surprised you even have to take currents into consideration when choosing a site. I never waste time checking on silly tides or currents and don't think anyone should worry about them either. But perhaps my training was superior to everyone else's because I can handle anything.
Kelly
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I totally disagree, and I'm not trying to be a jerk but seriously, how could you possibly post something this absurd?
ktb wrote:Bob,

I'm surprised you even have to take currents into consideration when choosing a site.
Training perhaps, but I think it's all your experience. Once you get a feel for currents and tides, you just start to know exactly what is going to happen when. For example, I've lived with the moon in orbit for my entire life and have been roughly the same distance from it at relative points on a daily basis the whole time.
ktb wrote:I never waste time checking on silly tides or currents and don't think anyone should worry about them either.
With all this experience, it's ridiculous to think that I might have to actually check the tide and current predictions and then do the simple math to adjust for what area I'm diving. I just use The Force. It's not even really that plausible that the moon has anything to do with diving anyway. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I mean think about it. The moon is in outer-space... and divers at my level are much farther away from it than "common divers" anyway.
ktb wrote:But perhaps my training was superior to everyone else's because I can handle anything.
Training is dumb - you can learn anything you need to know by trial and error. The more time you spend doing it, the easier it is to just, well, "know." Maybe people who are new to living with the moon might need to do the adjusting calculations, but certainly not someone with my 30+ years of experience.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:Training is dumb - you can learn anything you need to know by trial and error.
I agree. I even plan on making us up some matching T-shirts. Just to make sure I wear the right one, you're Trial, right? :highfive:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:I agree.
What are you saying? Seriously, I don't understand why you would even write this.
airsix wrote:I even plan on making us up some matching T-shirts.
Why would you consider doing that? I'm genuinely curious. People have been buying t-shirts for a very long time - I don't see any point in creating your own. Just seems like a silly waste of precious time when... well, when something terrible is happening simultaneously.
airsix wrote:Just to make sure I wear the right one, you're Trial, right?
You actually expect me to respond to something where you call me "Trial?" I don't understand your hostility at all.
airsix wrote: :highfive:
Are you implying that you're going to hit me in the hand? What, is that because you're afraid I'm going to type something you disagree with?

:rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
Sounder wrote:Training is dumb - you can learn anything you need to know by trial and error.
I agree. I even plan on making us up some matching T-shirts. Just to make sure I wear the right one, you're Trial, right? :highfive:
No I'm Trial, you're the other one... :angry:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Nicely played, you two. Nicely played.

:notworthy:
Kelly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ktb wrote:Nicely played, you two. Nicely played.

:notworthy:
That's what friends are for ;)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I hate to say it but this thread really is uncomfortable to read. I feel like I am in high school and watching somone get picked on for being different. I wanted to watch for a while and see what people jumped in on this....interesting.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:
No I'm Trial, you're the other one... :angry:
I know you are, but what am I? :lalala:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

While we are on the subject....

I prefer to type long sentences to make myself appear smart but in reality I just like hearing myself ramble. I also endure long cups of coffee in the morning just so the pleasure of flexing my manly fingers at a keyboard for hours on end can be enjoyed thoroughly. Anndddd I like to sneak in secret snarky comments towards everyone because they don't understand my type of slang.

I like this game :taco:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Sort order for Dive Site Listings forum

Post by airsix »

Norris wrote: I wanted to watch for a while and see what people jumped in on this....interesting.
I know it's not much but I only insulted myself and Sounder. You know. For balance.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Sort order for Dive Site Listings forum

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:
Norris wrote: I wanted to watch for a while and see what people jumped in on this....interesting.
I know it's not much but I only insulted myself and Sounder. You know. For balance.
Yin and Yang.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
airsix wrote:
Yin and Yang.
Douche and Bag. You can guess who's who by the initials.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:
airsix wrote:
Yin and Yang.
Douche and Bag. You can guess who's who by the initials.
:queenliz: ....... :rofl:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow. Just Wow.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman