Size (image width) limits on external photos?

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Yesterday I posted a few pic in a dive recap posting, and ran into an issue...

Photos were downsized to 1000 pixels max width, and uploaded to my albums account over on the 'pentaxforums.com' site. I posted them here using the BB code format generated from the "Img" button (which is identical format to what they use over there). When the image is displayed, however, it truncated the images on the right hand edge... :(

Example:

With "Img" link

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/memb ... e37409.jpg

With "URL" link

Soooo, do I have use the "Upload attachment", or do I have to only link to external photos that are 800 pixels or less in width, or do I have any other options to get external, reasonably-sized images to display properly?

Inquiring minds want to know! :smt064

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Size (image width) limits on external photos?

Post by airsix »

As a forum reader I have to say I think the 800pixel cutoff is a welcome feature. I've read other forums without this feature. What happens is the posting of a large image increases the page width of the entire thread requiring readers to scroll back and forth horizontally to read text which no longer fits their screen. I appreciate access to high res images. I think it is great that you are willing to share them, but I would much prefer a 300 or 400 pixel thumbnail linked to the full-res image instead of the page being stretched.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

airsix wrote:As a forum reader I have to say I think the 800pixel cutoff is a welcome feature. I've read other forums without this feature. What happens is the posting of a large image increases the page width of the entire thread requiring readers to scroll back and forth horizontally to read text which no longer fits their screen. I appreciate access to high res images. I think it is great that you are willing to share them, but I would much prefer a 300 or 400 pixel thumbnail linked to the full-res image instead of the page being stretched.
I've seen the same thing, of course. I don't really mind the cutoff (although personally I think 1000 pixels is better than 800, and that's why I downsize my web postings to that limit - it sure isn't "high res" at that size), but it sure would be nice to have either (a) automatic resizing of images to 800 width, or (b) an "imgwide" tag/button that could be added to make it just as easy for posting as the "Img" button. I already have the images in another web location, I don't want to have to upload them again here just for that resizing. The Pentaxforums site where I have the images does both. I even tried pasting in their "Imgwide" tags here just in case it was something buried in the BB code but not made into a button. No such luck, alas.

Jim
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Hi Jim

The site's content width is fixed, so users are constrained to the viewable area's dimensions when posting embedded externally hosted images.

Sorry, but it is not possible to change that without altering the structure of the site, which is not really an option.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

spatman wrote:Hi Jim

The site's content width is fixed, so users are constrained to the viewable area's dimensions when posting embedded externally hosted images.

Sorry, but it is not possible to change that without altering the structure of the site, which is not really an option.
OK, I can see sticking with a fixed-width. Makes the code easier. I guess the question then becomes, how hard is it to code a tag and display option like the [imgwide] I described, that resizes an image greater than the limit so it fits? I code database stuff in Fortran, not BB systems, so I don't know the answer. I can ask the question over on Pentaxforums and see if it's something Adam coded up or something he found. Heck, maybe he'd share :)

Jim
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

The problem with resizing images is determining what the original image's dimensions are and maintaining that aspect ratio when downsized.

Implementing something like that is a little beyond my current pay grade, so unless the site owner increases my weekly ration of gruel and whiskey, you'll just have to provide a link to the full size image or upload them to nwdc as attachments.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

spatman wrote:The problem with resizing images is determining what the original image's dimensions are and maintaining that aspect ratio when downsized.

Implementing something like that is a little beyond my current pay grade, so unless the site owner increases my weekly ration of gruel and whiskey, you'll just have to provide a link to the full size image or upload them to nwdc as attachments.
Hmm, well I reckon so. Kinda short on whiskey, definitely short on gruel, so we'll live with it.. Thanks

Jim
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RoxnDox wrote:
spatman wrote:The problem with resizing images is determining what the original image's dimensions are and maintaining that aspect ratio when downsized.

Hmm, well I reckon so. Kinda short on whiskey, definitely short on gruel, so we'll live with it.. Thanks

Jim
Sorry, but this very subject almost started a very ugly situation a few years back. We LOVE our underwater photographers, here on NWDC, but the limiting of photo sizing is actually a very important issue for a lot of folks who don't like it when they suddenly find threads to be unreadable because they have to left-right scroll, or else manipulate their screen resolution in order to see everything. Thanks for your understanding.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Joshua Smith wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:

Jim
Sorry, but this very subject almost started a very ugly situation a few years back. We LOVE our underwater photographers, here on NWDC, but the limiting of photo sizing is actually a very important issue for a lot of folks who don't like it when they suddenly find threads to be unreadable because they have to left-right scroll, or else manipulate their screen resolution in order to see everything. Thanks for your understanding.....
Like I said earlier, I don't mind the size limitations on the display of an image. What I was hoping for was the capability for the forum code to automatically resize an image to fit, rather than have the image truncated as it does now. I did poke around in the phpBB 3 forum and found a few threads discussing modifications to the base forum code that do exactly that, but I'm next to nothing in coding skillz when it comes to php and css and that web sort of stuff... So if it's not something that can be done with available resources, I can live with it. I face (and make) the exact same decisions in my work all the time. I had no intention of starting any sort of ugliness, just pursuing a technical question.

Jim
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Understood. I defer to Spatman in all these technical matters, and I hope this doesn't discourage you from sharing your work here!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Assuming you are running a windoz machine, you can resize to max 800 pixels (in either dimension) with in one click with windows live photo gallery while keeping the original aspect ratio.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Doesnt size matter ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

CaptnJack wrote:Assuming you are running a windoz machine, you can resize to max 800 pixels (in either dimension) with in one click with windows live photo gallery while keeping the original aspect ratio.
I do my post in PS Elements 6 (or Irfanview for the ones only needing minor work). Resizing is easy, and how to do it was never the issue... But thanks :)

Jim
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

H20doctor wrote:Doesnt size matter ?
Depends...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo