traveling

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

traveling

Post by CaptnJack »

Discovered yesterday that the IP for the free wifi from the BC ferries Nanaimo terminal is blocked as a spammer. That's why you're not getting BC dive reports in a timely manner :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: traveling

Post by spatman »

Do you have those IPs handy?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:Do you have those IPs handy?
I will have to check the history on my laptop at home since I didn't think to take a screen shot. I could send PMs just couldn't post anything.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Since you are being so helpful, why don't you tell us the Nanaimo Duke Point terminal's IP?
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:
Since you are being so helpful, why don't you tell us the Nanaimo Duke Point terminal's IP?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+grow+a+sense+of+humor

<serious> I'll look in to it </serious>

D
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

It looks like it's maintained by Shaw, which would put it in the 204.236.128.0/17 network range.
So Matt would want to look for anything starting with 204.236.128-255 that you logged in from recently.

D
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

What I wrote was...

Doesn't work like that. If you could send PMs, the IP range isn't blocked. You can block by IP or by FQDN, if you are getting partial functionality you aren't being blocked by either. If you are able to do X, but not Y you are being filtered based on traffic type or something internal to your own machine.

And the subnets of the Duke Point terminal are irrelevant. You are connecting to that network, how the traffic is handled is done via policy. Plus the outside interface of the terminal and the inside subnets are going to be different IP ranges... If the guy(s) that built have a clue.

Can you find a different network?
Last edited by Marc on Wed May 22, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I changed a few setting that would be less restrictive to users already registered. Let me know if you still have any problems.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:It looks like it's maintained by Shaw, which would put it in the 204.236.128.0/17 network range.
So Matt would want to look for anything starting with 204.236.128-255 that you logged in from recently.

D
I was there yesterday, about 2:30pm
Its free wifi and slower than molasses. I doubt lots of spammers are paying the ferry fee to log in, but I wouldn't be surprised if lots of infected comps logged in there and hence sent emails off their IP and got it blacklisted. Would only take one or two and there are hundreds of phones and laptops using their wifi every day.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Soooooooo.... Spamhaus had been getting hit by a lot of DDoS attacks recently, and it looks like one of the lists has begin taking the brunt of it, causing a lot of false positives to occur when the API was accessed to tell whether an IP was banned or not. This would make Spamhaus think an IP was blocked, and the plugin here was doing what it's told to do. That's one of the problems. Matt would be able to attest to if there were more.

The plugin also uses "Blacklist" a little too liberally IMHO, btw. If you were on my blacklist, you wouldn't even know the IP of my site you were trying to visit existed online anymore.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote: The plugin also uses "Blacklist" a little too liberally IMHO, btw. If you were on my blacklist, you wouldn't even know the IP of my site you were trying to visit existed online anymore.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/AU0NLheu8mU[/youtube]
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uZjKUN5QI0s[/youtube]
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Interesting..... It shows a welcome mat, and says to come on in, but after everything is said and done, it's locked at the bottom... I call shens.

D
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The whole time we were on Maui, I couldn't post anything here, either. I got a message saying something about the IP being blocked.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:The whole time we were on Maui, I couldn't post anything here, either. I got a message saying something about the IP being blocked.
Please email me the message you receive if that happens again.