Make location mandatory profile information

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Make location mandatory profile information

Post by renoun »

It seems like many new people don't fill out the location information in their profile which would be displayed below their avatar every time they post. People's location is central to advice about shops and instructors plus key to finding regular dive buddies. Can phpBB be configured to make including a location a required aspect of registering a new user without being a pain for existing users? Ideally a brief explanation would be included saying that it doesn't have to be specific and a city or county would be sufficient.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Make location mandatory profile information

Post by spatman »

If a user request info about shops and such, they can then specify where. Making the field mandatory in no way guarantees that they either provide their true location or really any location at all. "Location: ugcurjgcvfg"' e.g.

Some people want their privacy, as well. We shouldn't be asking for that info if they don't want to give it out in the first place, imvho.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I don't think asking for a city is unreasonable at all. If a person does not wish to give at least this small bit of info, about which they could lie anyway I believe that their reason for joining is suspect and they are probably spammers or trolls anyway. Like the Russian dude just yesterday :rjack:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dusty2 wrote:I don't think asking for a city is unreasonable at all. If a person does not wish to give at least this small bit of info, about which they could lie anyway I believe that their reason for joining is suspect and they are probably spammers or trolls anyway. Like the Russian dude just yesterday :rjack:
There's really no way to enforce the requirement to put a city in that field without monitoring every single user on the site. The Russian "dude" is actually a bot that managed to get through our spam blocker. Adding another field for their program to fill out is no sweat for them and won't prevent spammers from getting through.

Outside of NWDC and a couple other places on the web, I am very guarded about what information I give out online. If a website I was just starting to check out demanded I provide my location, even if it is just a city, I probably would not register.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Not to mention, some of us just don't want you knowing our location. You could go to the trouble of asking.

btw:

The value of “Max Depth Reached” is too large, a maximum value of 999 is allowed.

wtf?

D
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

defied wrote:Not to mention, some of us just don't want you knowing our location. You could go to the trouble of asking.

btw:

The value of “Max Depth Reached” is too large, a maximum value of 999 is allowed.

wtf?

D
Well, we have members who have claimed to have been deeper than that.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Joshua Smith wrote:
defied wrote:Not to mention, some of us just don't want you knowing our location. You could go to the trouble of asking.

btw:

wtf?

D
They must have special training, probably ex-NAVY SEALs.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bric Martin wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

btw:

wtf?

D
They must have special training, probably ex-NAVY SEALs.
I'm not at liberty to disclose any details.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

You know those submarine rescue suits can go to 2000ft... Just saying...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Now that I can breathe....

Saturation divers would be offended if they could only list 999fsw. 0]

D
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

defied wrote:Now that I can breathe....

Saturation divers would be offended if they could only list 999fsw. 0]

D
Right! Ron at Hoodsport n Dive tells the story of being the first USN Diver to do an open ocean bell excursion dive to 1,000 ft. It is a great story. :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:Not to mention, some of us just don't want you knowing our location.
Where's my tin foil hat anyway?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

CaptnJack wrote:
defied wrote:Not to mention, some of us just don't want you knowing our location.
Where's my tin foil hat anyway?
The gummint doesn't want you wearing anything to block their signals.

That's why they put fluoride in the water...to rot your brains, make you forget.

As long as the sheeple keep watching the teevee, eating GMO corn...the Bilderburgs will be laughing.

Or so I've heard. That's why I've been stockpiling gold and ammo in my backyard underground bunker.