RSS now available!

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
airsix
I've Got Gills

RSS now available!

Post by airsix »

rss.gif
rss.gif (480 Bytes) Viewed 1836 times

The purpose of this thread is to provide a quick introduction to one of the site's newest features - RSS.

RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication". It is a very useful tool that can simplify your life! If you monitor multiple websites it can be time-consuming to repeatedly visit these sites to look for new content. With RSS you can just sit back and new content comes to you!

If you have never used RSS before please watch this short video which explains the concept very well:
"RSS in plain English" (Video)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ:
Q: How do I use RSS?
A: Most sites with dynamic content provide what are called "feeds". A "feed" is a way to subscribe to the site's content so it can be delivered to you through your chosen feed-reader. To get started you just need a reader, and a feed to subscribe to. You can find feeds by looking for this image in webpages and in your browser's address-bar.

Q: What's a feed reader?
A: A feed reader, or aggregator, is a type of mailbox where all your subscriptions are delivered. Internet Explorer and Firefox have feed readers built right in. So does Outlook and several other email clients. There are also many websites which will aggregate your feed subscriptions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples of how you can set up a nwdiveclub feed:

Example #1 - (w/ video!) Subscribing to nwdiveclub.com feeds using your iGoogle home-page.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOJfLixIiBE[/youtube]

Example #2 - Subscribe using Firefox browser's "live bookmarks"
1) Open nwdiveclub.com in Firefox
2) Click on the orange RSS button in the browser address-bar and select "...All Posts"
3) With "Live Bookmark" selected, click "Subscribe Now"
4) Indicate the location within your bookmarks where you want your nwdiveclub folder and click "add".
5) Going to your bookmarks you will now find a dynamically updating folder of links to the most recent threads on nwdiveclub.

Example #3 - Subscribe using Google Reader
1) Open nwdiveclub.com in your browser
2) Click on the orange RSS button in the browser address-bar and select "...All Posts"
3) Copy the URL in the address-bar
1) Log into your google account
2) Follow the link "more" and select "Reader"
3) Click "Add a subscription"
4) Paste the URL and click "Add"
Last edited by airsix on Sat May 09, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: RSS now available!

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:Example #1 - (w/ video!) Subscribing to nwdiveclub.com feeds using your iGoogle home-page.
VIDEO TUTORIAL!!!!
"Conspicuously absent are any links to Northwest DIve Club, which is THE most important dive website there is. So we need to remedy that."

:laughing3:

great tutorial, ben!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: RSS now available!

Post by spatman »

ok, so who's using the RSS feeds, and what do you view them with?

i'm using Safari, and i've noticed that i've been getting logged out occasionally even though i have it set to automatically log me in. anyone else having similar issues?