Open links in new windows?

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Open links in new windows?

Post by scottsax »

When I click on a link on NWDC, it opens in the same window. I normally right click and choose open in new window, because I don't like to lose my place.

Any thoughts from anyone else?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Open links in new windows?

Post by Sockmonkey »

Shift click?

Control click?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Set your browser to open new windows in a seperate tab :smt024 :computersmash: :banghead: :smt024
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

All fine suggestions. I realize there are workarounds, so maybe I'll just shut the hell up. On other websites, clicking an external link opens that link in a new window or tab. On THIS website, clicking an external link seems to open it in the same window, making me think there's some sort of javascript that makes that new window open.

It's not that big a deal, but I just thought about it and thought I'd mention it...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:All fine suggestions. I realize there are workarounds, so maybe I'll just shut the hell up. On other websites, clicking an external link opens that link in a new window or tab. On THIS website, clicking an external link seems to open it in the same window, making me think there's some sort of javascript that makes that new window open.

It's not that big a deal, but I just thought about it and thought I'd mention it...
on a static html website, adding target="_blank" to any <a> link will open it in a new window.

i can look into implementing something when i get back from vacation on the 27th.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
scottsax wrote:All fine suggestions. I realize there are workarounds, so maybe I'll just shut the hell up. On other websites, clicking an external link opens that link in a new window or tab. On THIS website, clicking an external link seems to open it in the same window, making me think there's some sort of javascript that makes that new window open.

on a static html website, adding target="_blank" to any <a> link will open it in a new window.

i can look into implementing something when i get back from vacation on the 27th.
No biggie. Not even sure it's something others want. I can shift-click.

Where are you going?

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

phpbb actually has an administrator option on whether clicking on an external link, or an internal link will open a new window, or stay in the same. Obviously they are currently set to stay in the same. This is actually a default setting.

Most sites generally set it up to open a new window if leaving the website, otherwise stay in same window if visiting links to other portions of the same website.

D(B)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

defied wrote:phpbb actually has an administrator option on whether clicking on an external link, or an internal link will open a new window, or stay in the same. Obviously they are currently set to stay in the same. This is actually a default setting.
that was phpbb2. we're running phpbb3.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Where are you going?
vancouver and victoria. no diving this trip though....
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I don't leave this to the developer. You can easily control link behavior as the user. I have Firefox set to open external links in a new tab for one. Anytime I want to open a link in a new tab (regardless of whether it is local or external) I do a middle button click which causes Firefox to open it in a new tab.

Example:
I click on "show new posts".
I scan down the list for threads I want to read.
Each thread I want to read I middle-click to open in a tab.
Read a thread, close the tab
Go to next tab, read the thread, close the tab.
Someone posts an external link I want to follow... middle click to open another tab.
Finish reading that thread and close the tab.

This way I never get pulled away from a thread by an embedded link. I'm in the thread until I close it regardless of how many links I clicked on while I was in it.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

spatman wrote:
defied wrote:phpbb actually has an administrator option on whether clicking on an external link, or an internal link will open a new window, or stay in the same. Obviously they are currently set to stay in the same. This is actually a default setting.

Ah, roger that. Still not a big change.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

+1 for firefox. super program.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

spatman wrote:

Whaaaa.....?
kat wrote: +1 for firefox. super program.
+ another 1 for firefox. That makes 2. I'm a math whiz!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Jenbowes wrote:
spatman wrote:

Whaaaa.....?
That link is in Spatmanese. No need to pay any attention to the nerd behind the curtain. :spatman:

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog