Posting Window

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Posting Window

Post by Tom Nic »

Is it just me, or does the scroll on the posting window not automatically go down beyond the visual size of the window?

I don't know if I'm saying it correctly, but when a post is larger than the original window the text and writing area "jumps" and it doesn't go smoothly down and show you what you've written unless you hold the button in the scrolling column. It's a royal pain, in any case, especially when you try to highlight something in a post that is below the window - it jumps up and highlights everything above it and nothing you can do will change it.

Anyway - don't know if I've described it correctly, but it's driving me crazy! Help! :help:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Posting Window

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tom Nic wrote:Is it just me, or does the scroll on the posting window not automatically go down beyond the visual size of the window?

I don't know if I'm saying it correctly, but when a post is larger than the original window the text and writing area "jumps" and it doesn't go smoothly down and show you what you've written unless you hold the button in the scrolling column. It's a royal pain, in any case, especially when you try to highlight something in a post that is below the window - it jumps up and highlights everything above it and nothing you can do will change it.

Anyway - don't know if I've described it correctly, but it's driving me crazy! Help! :help:
Hey Tom... what version of what web browser are you using?

Do I understand you correctly... you're asking about weird scrolling behavior when you're authoring a post?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep. And it's a brand-new problem- I just noticed it for the first time a couple days ago, but forgot to have Spatman flogged as punishment for this irritating phenomenon. Thanks for the reminder, Eric!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yep. And it's a brand-new problem- I just noticed it for the first time a couple days ago, but forgot to have Spatman flogged as punishment for this irritating phenomenon. Thanks for the reminder, Eric!
Oh wow I just cranked up IE and experienced what Tom was trying to explain... I could see where that would be wicked annoying.

I'll see if I can't dig around and find anything until Kenny Floggins returns.

-Eric

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Aha!

A quick fix... but not great.

I'd suggest that Josh go ahead and edit overall_header.html but we all know what happens when he gets into that admin control panel... cats dogs living together... mass hysteria.

It is possible to for people to bypass this problem themselves. Users of IE8 can viewing nwdiveclub in IE7 compatibility mode by going to their Tools menu and choosing Compatibility View.

Or make Spitman fix it for real somehow.

Lemme know if that makes sense.

-Eric

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

THANKYOU for looking into this.

Since i'm in the annoying habit of writing book length dive reports this has been a major pain in my nether regions.

...and I am using ie8. I'll try what you suggested if I get the uncontrollable urge to get overly wordy again. :angry:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The heck with that. We all know my primary role here is to provide sarcasm, random insults, and gibberish. To keep morale up, and to provide a surreal and upsetting leadership example. Plus, I'm in charge of beatings. Spatman deals with the code-monkey stuff. And the whining.

:angelblue:

Sockmonkey wrote:Aha!

I'd suggest that Josh go ahead and edit overall_header.html but we all know what happens when he gets into that admin control panel... cats dogs living together... mass hysteria.

It is possible to for people to bypass this problem themselves. Users of IE8 can viewing nwdiveclub in IE7 compatibility mode by going to their Tools menu and choosing Compatibility View.

Or make Spitman fix it for real somehow.

Lemme know if that makes sense.

-Eric
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The best fix would be to switch to Firefox. I've never had a problem with any version of it.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:The best fix would be to switch to Firefox. I've never had a problem with any version of it.
the best fix is to author websites that are compatible with all browsers.

i'll get right on this, tom. i just can't handle yet another flogging by josh. he enjoys it too much. especially when he wears his leather captain's hat and chaps.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:Aha!

it's bad enough when JS messes with the admin, and you're suggesting he should edit the template code? fire and brimstone, the end of the internet as we know it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

this should be fixed, tom. let me know if you still have problems with this bug.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dude, love the new avatar! :naka:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tangfish wrote:Dude, love the new avatar! :naka:
NWDC represent!