Not dive related at all: Found a cat yesterday

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
lizard0924
Submariner

Not dive related at all: Found a cat yesterday

Post by lizard0924 »

A co-worker of mine found a young, male Abyssinian cat (no collar or tags) yesterday morning darting in and out of traffic on 45th and Sunnyside. She brought it back to our office, and now we (temporarily) have an office cat, until his owner is located. We posted flyers in the neighborhood and put an ad on Craigslist, but so far no response. He is definitely an indoor cat...trimmed nails, shiny coat, affectionate disposition, well-fed....so we are hoping someone will come forward soon. On Monday we are going to take him to a local vet to scan for a microchip.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get the info about him out to the general Seattle public in the hopes of alerting his owner? None of us want to take him to the animal shelter, but we can't keep him as an office cat permanently (although we would like to). I'd bring him home, but we have some significant cat allergic people here, so that is a no go. Nobody else at my office can take him home either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Re: Not dive related at all: Found a cat yesterday

Post by nice-diver »

give me your address and i'll send you 6 more....yeah, didn't think so
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

My cat-girl who breeds cats says you should check...

www.cfa.org

www.tica.org

Click on the Northwest region for both of those. Breeders can help locate his owner.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

If he's purebred he is most likely microchipped, and if the owner hasn't responded yet to ads or flyers it they are most likely out of town for the weekend.

I LOVE Abyssinians and if worse comes to worse, I am only two cats away from being a crazy cat lady. I can get another. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Penopolypants wrote:If he's purebred he is most likely microchipped, and if the owner hasn't responded yet to ads or flyers it they are most likely out of town for the weekend.

I LOVE Abyssinians and if worse comes to worse, I am only two cats away from being a crazy cat lady. I can get another. :)
How many cats are required to be a crazy cat lady? I'd of thought you had more than enough.......... :neener:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Pez7378 wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:If he's purebred he is most likely microchipped, and if the owner hasn't responded yet to ads or flyers it they are most likely out of town for the weekend.

How many cats are required to be a crazy cat lady? I'd of thought you had more than enough.......... :neener:
Har de har har. :neener: Only four cats are required, but my two little shits are probably close to four in both size and attitude.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Penopolypants wrote:Har de har har. :neener: Only four cats are required, but my two little shits are probably close to four in both size and attitude.
Being a crazy cat lady is a state of mind, and has nothing to do with the number of cats. I am very close to several. I have no personal knowledge of Ppants cat craziness, but my crazy cat lady detector is definitely going off! :geek:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Crazy cat lady math is easy.
For each cat over two, the crazy factor increases by 50%.
Thus, with 2 cats, PPants is perfectly normal.
With three cats, she would be 50% crazier than your average person.
That being said, she lives in Seattle, so the crazy factor is skewed in her favor.
Plus she hangs out with people in this club, so crazy starts on a whole different scale.
:penelope: is doing just fine. By my rough math, she can get at least another 2 cats before she even begins to rival the crazy quotient of most Seattleites (and most members of NWDC).
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Kalatin wrote:Crazy cat lady math is easy.
For each cat over two, the crazy factor increases by 50%.
Thus, with 2 cats, PPants is perfectly normal.
With three cats, she would be 50% crazier than your average person.
That being said, she lives in Seattle, so the crazy factor is skewed in her favor.
Plus she hangs out with people in this club, so crazy starts on a whole different scale.
:penelope: is doing just fine. By my rough math, she can get at least another 2 cats before she even begins to rival the crazy quotient of most Seattleites (and most members of NWDC).
:laughing3: :supz:

I like the way you think! :)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm still stuck back on "Har de har har"......

Any news on the cat situation, Lizard?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Mr. Crabby Claws (whose real name, it turns out, is Tobias) just went home with his (very relieved) owner. We took the cat to the vet this morning, they scanned him and found a microchip. We were then able to contact his owner who just picked him up. Turns out the owner was, in fact, out of town for the weekend, so the cat would have chilled someplace anyway...may have well been our office.

It was very heartwarming to see how happy both the owner and the cat were upon reuniting. Although I think I'm going to miss having an office cat. He was very sweet, despite the name we gave him.

Most importantly....Penelope escapes the crazy cat lady moniker for now.... :)
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman