Where to buy a nice pocket knife?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Where to buy a nice pocket knife?

Post by Zen Diver »

Okay, I've stumbled on last minute inspiration for a Christmas present, but am not sure where to purchase it. Where can I get a nice pocket knife for someone collects such a thing?

Valerie
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Where to buy a nice pocket knife?

Post by BASSMAN »

Meet me for a dive at Redondo on Tuesday morning or Les Davis Wednesday night and I should have an assortment you can choose from new in the box :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

If the intended recipient is a collector or enthusiast I would shy away from anything at Walmart/REI/yourlocalsportinggoodsstore to avoid the equivalent of "I know you dive so I bought you this awesome [insert dive gear you dread]". As a (hobby only) custom pocketknife maker here are my suggestions (sorry, no, I don't have any inventory to offer).

An awesome book showcasing 100 rockstar custom knifemakers as they each illustrate the start-to-finish process of creating their art. This is an extremely high-quality book with stunning photography. I can't believe you can get it for this price! I paid much more for my copy.

A high-quality kit. Knifekits.com sells extremely high-quality kits that let you enjoy the fun of assembling and finishing (fitting, sanding, polishing) your own pocketknife. These kits are designed and manufactured by Darrel Ralph, one of today's premiere custom makers. With a little care these kits produce better-than-store-bought quality.

Consider a custom hand-made knife. Most experienced custom makers produce a knife of shockingly high quality that will make any store-bough knife pale by comparison. PM me if you are interested and I will try to help you find a maker in your style and price range.

-Ben

ps - Just saw Keith's post. I think he might have just solved your problem. :highfive:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm a big fan of Benchmade knives:

http://www.benchmade.com/
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm a big fan of Benchmade knives:

http://www.benchmade.com/
Another endorsement for Benchmade, I have carried one since 1993. Emerson Folding knives are good also, but spendy. Spiderco makes a good product.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:Meet me for a dive at Redondo on Tuesday morning or Les Davis Wednesday night and I should have an assortment you can choose from new in the box :smt064
Seriously?

V
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Go to a gun shop or the army navy surplus in Seattle (they have a huge selection). I really like the brand Spyderco.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

For "use" I'd also go Spyderco. For "collectable by someone who does/has knives as a hobby, stick with Ben's advice.

Hee hee... And stay away from the guy with the trench coat at Redondo!! Remember - you recently got mugged in London!! :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tacoma Scuba carries Spyderco.

I have a co-worker who makes custom knives that he sells at collector shows. They're really nice ... but they ain't cheap ($150 and up to $!!!)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tangfish wrote:Go to a gun shop or the army navy surplus in Seattle (they have a huge selection). I really like the brand Spyderco.
+1 for Federal Army and Navy. I've purchased three Benchmades from them (I keep dropping them in the water) They're loverly knives... and not just because benchmade will sharpen your blade for free for life. And they're made in Oregon too.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I prefer my Randall knife. Not quite a pocket knife and about an 18 month wait to have one made, but worth it.
:neener:
Attachments
DSC00795.JPG
DSC00796.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

If you go the store-bought route I second the endorsements of Benchmade and Spyderco. Most consumer-grade knives sacrifice edge-holding performance for corrosion resistance. I guess people would rather have a shiny knife than a sharp one. However, this is not true of both Benchmade and Syderco. They both use very high quality steels in most of their models. The upper end of the Kershaw line is pretty nice too but watch out for the junk at the bottom.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I have a couple of Ken Onion pocket folders. I am not a Knife Guy but the opening action is good and the quality of materials and construction seems good. This is what I am currently carrying:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Kershaw-K ... ek-1660DAM

The smaller "Chive" size is also a great knife.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Kershaw-K ... us-1600DAM

I think the Damascus steel looks spiffy.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Like I said, I am not a knife guy. I just know it's well built and looks swell. :)

Long ago I got to visit a true smith at an all-day open house deal. It was really interesting.

http://www.osoforge.com/

Once I really wanted to learn how to do this stuff but I have realized when it comes to crafting things, I am just all thumbs. Maybe when I retire and get to live in the sticks I'll get a forge and learn to injure myself while making crummy knives. :)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I think I deleted my post while you were editing. I deleted because it just came out wrong. Those Ken Onion designed Kershaws are very nice knives.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Another for Benchmade. Great products. A good place to get pocket knives is Army Navy on first avanue in Belltown (Downtown Seattle) Good selection. Not all Benchmade knives are the same though. I think there are 3 quality levels. Look for the blue box if its in your budget.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/produ ... ategory=50

If these are too much Spyderco or Gerber make some nice options too.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

another +++ for benchmade, i have had my infidel automatic for over 7 years and it is still in great shape.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Burntchef wrote:another +++ for benchmade, i have had my infidel automatic for over 7 years and it is still in great shape.
*sigh* I had an auto stryker someone gave me... and it was stolen from me. I'm getting a little weepy thinking about how much I loved that knife. It was like my blue blankey... my wooby.

-Eric

Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I had to look up Benchmade since it's getting all the love...

How is an automatic knife like that legal? Isn't that a switchblade?

I want one. :)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Matt S. wrote:I had to look up Benchmade since it's getting all the love...

How is an automatic knife like that legal? Isn't that a switchblade?

I want one. :)
Benchmade makes dozens of models. Only a few are autos. Even the autos can be had in neutered non-auto versions. Autos are legal in Oregon by the way. They are also legal for law enforcement because apparently police officers have their own constitution or something. Autos are also legal in California of all places (as long as the blade is 2" or less).
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Burntchef wrote:another +++ for benchmade, i have had my infidel automatic for over 7 years and it is still in great shape.
*sigh* I had an auto stryker someone gave me... and it was stolen from me. I'm getting a little weepy thinking about how much I loved that knife. It was like my blue blankey... my wooby.

-Eric
Don't feel too bad. Matt S. mentioned knifemaker Ken Onion... He lives in Hawaii (too) and a few years ago he was flying to Atlanta for a custom knifemaker convention. He had a special pouched locked case with more than a dozen customs he had made for the show. It held everything he had done for the past 6 months or more. About $50,000 worth of knives (his stuff sells for thousands a piece). He handed it over to TSA when he left Hawaii and somewhere along the way to Atlanta it followed someone else home. Nobody ever turned up anything.

-Ben
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:

-Eric
Don't feel too bad. Matt S. mentioned knifemaker Ken Onion... He lives in Hawaii (too) and a few years ago he was flying to Atlanta for a custom knifemaker convention. He had a special pouched locked case with more than a dozen customs he had made for the show. It held everything he had done for the past 6 months or more. About $50,000 worth of knives (his stuff sells for thousands a piece). He handed it over to TSA when he left Hawaii and somewhere along the way to Atlanta it followed someone else home. Nobody ever turned up anything.

-Ben
Those TSA folks know quality when they see it. Seriously, I wouldn't hand over anything that valueable to those clowns unless it was heavily insured. That's why when I go on a dive trip my carry-on weighs more than my check-in.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I'm further derailing the thread here... How does an automatic knife like the Striker--

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Mini--323

--differ from the Kershaw assisted-opening knife I referenced earlier? The Kershaw certainly springs open when you push on the right bit. I assume the Stryker works the same way.

For some reason I though "automatic" also meant "out the front" and a spring-loaded folder was to be called "assisted opening." I have bought a couple of Kershaw assisted-opening folders through the mail with no problems.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Automatic knives will open fully just by pushing a button.

Spring assist requires the user to apply force to start opening the blade some amount and a spring booster helps open the rest of the way. With spring assist you'll need to start to open the blade with your thumb before the spring gives it a kick. This is how knife manufacturers get around switchblade laws.

Here's a video I found of the stryker I used to own (except the blade was a tanto... and black. You'll see that it requires no thumb action at all:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaxdawPsLg[/youtube]

Hopefully Valerie has already head down to 1st ave to buy a knife and no longer needs this thread we've hijacked.

-Eric
Matt S. wrote:I'm further derailing the thread here... How does an automatic knife like the Striker--

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Mini--323

--differ from the Kershaw assisted-opening knife I referenced earlier? The Kershaw certainly springs open when you push on the right bit. I assume the Stryker works the same way.

For some reason I though "automatic" also meant "out the front" and a spring-loaded folder was to be called "assisted opening." I have bought a couple of Kershaw assisted-opening folders through the mail with no problems.

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

As Eric stated, the assisted openers exploit the letter of the law which states that an automatic knife opens by manner of a button or latch without the operator touching the blade. Assisted openers do require you to manipulate the blade (barely) and therefore skirt the law.

Ps- Hey Ron, nice Randal.
Last edited by airsix on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.