any crabbers or fish hunters? or is that a no no?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
martinhong
Getting To Know Folks

any crabbers or fish hunters? or is that a no no?

Post by martinhong »

just wondering if the people here that go diving, just dive or sometimes collect crabs or spear fish. Not that I'm for or against either activity. :bounce:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The first time I went spear fishing (it was in Hawaii) it ended in me getting chased around by a whitetip and stung in the face by a jellyfish. So, I've decided that I'll leave the killing in the ocean to the things that live there (and the fishermen who provide me with seafood at many fine restaurants).

I don't have anything against it, as long as someone eats the catch.

Now, I prefer to hunt with a lens and strobe.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I like to crab and spearfish but I do not crab or hunt at local dive sites..
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I am a huge fan of harvesting from the puget sound, BUT I don't harvest from popular dive sites and never more than legal, or out of season. Also pay attention to the type of fish you harvest. some rock fish take 50 years to get to be a huge 12 inches and weigh two pounds. so preservation and knowing what to harvest is key.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I will bring home a few crab now and then for my wife she dont dive and I dont like crab so its a trade off

other then that I buy my fish at the local fish market or my boss is the skipper on a cannery boat and when his ship is in port he always brings us Cod or Pollock

but I do a lot of hunting while diving I am always hunting for the next grate dive site does that count?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sparky, sure that counts but roomer has it you are not diving lately. lets get out and dive a new site together some time?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
scubadev
Getting To Know Folks

h20 hunting

Post by scubadev »

I enjoy hunting the beastly lingcod that ply the waters. i prefer sites with abundant life and the try and practice selective harvest. I advocate using what you take and be very giving with the spoils of the hunt.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Mmmmmm

Post by Diver_Dave »

Seafood
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
sparky
I've Got Gills

Re: Mmmmmm

Post by sparky »

Diver_Dave wrote:Seafood

his favorite word right Diver Dave?
I have missed you on icq every time i get on you not
I miss our chats

Drop me a line BRo

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Maverick wrote:Sparky, sure that counts but roomer has it you are not diving lately. lets get out and dive a new site together some time?
Actuly Mave: I am going to be comeing to the Seattle area in a week or two at most I got to get out of here for a day at least

going nuts with this remodle need a brake I am off this saturday but the wife is takeing me and my trailer to the TOY STORE ( home depo )
I dont want to miss that one

found a couple spots near Cape Disapointment that hold some promise for new dive sites, any one want to try one out with me?
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

The spot

Post by Diver_Dave »

This would be the easyest spot to get a ling. but it is closed to fishing year round they even frown on us diving there...Image
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sparky I would love to check out htat new spot with you. I am pretty sure I could get Calvin and dave in on it Too :partyman: [/quote]
Maverick

STAIRS.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Yea its a deep dive 140-160ft but its the only place in the world u will see 100s of lings gathered together and mass different fish swimming by like red snapper copper duskies quillback halabut greenlings china all the rock fish just dont loose the anchor line w/surface currents and being 20miles offshore its not a good idea....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Diver Dave just a shot in the dark, but I have a few days off in early may How long do we need to get some good dives in, and what flight am I checking prices on?
Maverick

STAIRS.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Ak trip

Post by Diver_Dave »

I have a friend that comes in on friday and stays till monday or tue...But there are others that come for a week...Weather is allways a big factor when diving off shore..Never seen a day here that I couldnt dive..We have 18ft tides and it dont bother us too much..It all depends on how much time u have I love to go explore new dive sites and when u fly in U will see what I mean...More places to go in a boat then a car here...
Go to the alaska airlines http://www.alaskaair.com Seattle to sitka and book it 3-4 weeks in advance...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Where r u Mav..

Post by Diver_Dave »

Mav.. where r u its early May and I dont see u around here yet what up???? ](*,)
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

My shop has me by the Nuts and I have no money. But I am dreaming and will hopefully make it up in the fall with calvin.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I gather crab. Then, later, I eat them with butter, sour dough bread and cold beer.

:salute: