Can anybody give me some computer help?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Can anybody give me some computer help?

Post by LCF »

As of three days ago, I can no longer use Windows Mail to access my e-mail. I get the following error message:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Lynne', Server: 'mail.tsandm.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
I did a Google search on the error, and came up with all kinds of pages, but none of them seem to have anything to do with Windows Mail and a Verizon server.

I didn't change anything on the computer, and this has been true with two different internet providers. The problem does not lie with the mail server, because I can use another computer's Windows Mail program to download my mail without problems. So it appears that the issue has to be something corrupted on my computer. Help?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dlh
Submariner

Re: Can anybody give me some computer help?

Post by dlh »

Is this Windows Mail that is part of Vista? It's not in Windows 7 anymore. I might suggest upgrading to Windows Live Essential, which is the latest version of the same email software.

Visit http://www.windowslive.com/Get to download just Mail or the full suite.
Dave
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Try running system restore and rolling it back to before you had the issue, if it's still there then there are a few things that can be going on, PM me if you need more help Lynne :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

I'd start with Verizon tech support, it seems like they made a change to their email server or network security based on your problem description and error number.

If you don't have patience for their tech support, I would double check your email settings. I found this online, but it may not be the service you signed up for:
http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHel ... /86782.htm

I would also look into upgrading to Windows Live Mail as well, but I would use that as a last resort after trying to get your current configuration to work.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Thanks.

She is running Vista and using Windows Mail from Vista.

The Pop3 server is NOT Verizon but from our website host and appears to work just fine with me (using Win 7) or an older XP laptop -- just not (now) with her Vista machine.

We looked at doing a restore but, for some reason, the latest restore point is AFTER the email programming stopped working.

What would be a negative of going to Windows Live Mail -- which is what I appear to have on my Win 7 laptop.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

If it's a POP3 server there are lots of other programs you can use. I like Pegasus myself, and it's free.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

Knowing that you aren't having any problems accessing the same email server, it would lead me to believe the problem in on her PC and not at the provider. With that information, I'd just upgrade to the free Windows Live Mail with the same configuration information from the working PC.

I am assuming that there were no changes to the windows firewall in the control panel or an installation of a new software based firewall on her PC. If so, this could be causing problems that the upgrade may not fix.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Peter Guy wrote:Thanks.

What would be a negative of going to Windows Live Mail -- which is what I appear to have on my Win 7 laptop.
Nothing really. It's just a newer, improved version of the same program. It can't hurt, may help. I would double check that all other internet functions are working well.
Dave
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Did you get it working?

You may need to use authentication (example smtpauth.earthlink.net). and probably change your outgoing server port to 587. That way you can access your secure mail across networks.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.