PC Anti-virus software -- Which one?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

PC Anti-virus software -- Which one?

Post by Peter Guy »

The software I am using, Iolo System Mechanic, seems to be just too buggy. It stopped the use of the email programs on an XP and a Vista computer and is giving my Win7 system the Blue Screen of Death periodically (somehow messes with the registry) and I think it is causing Firefox to go TU.

So, I want/need to switch to new Anti-Virus software (and firewall? -- or should I be OK behind the firewall on my router?) -- and I'd like it to work with XP (5 computers on the home network), Vista (one) and Win7 (one) -- which means I'd like to be able to get one with multiple licenses.

Suggestions?
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Re: PC Anti-virus software -- Which one?

Post by WASP7000 »

whatever you do, stay away from Norton and Mcafee.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I have been using AVG for a while and am fairly satisfied. It works for my parents too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Microsoft has a product called security essentials I'm using on my copy of Windows 7, which works well. Yes, that is Windows 7 installed on my Macbook . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

When it comes to anti-virus software, all the major company's are essentialy the same, Nortan and Mcafee are the top dogs, I use Mcafee personaly and with my business, it's just lighter on the system than Norton. That being said, no anti-virus is going to protect you if you click "OK". Most threats now days are Malware which Anti-virus software don't stop in my exp, it might warn you before you install it but since you have so many windows pop up warning you from windows itself, most people just click "ok" for everything...... and install malware or spyware.
Safe web surfing habits are the best way to protect yourself, and knowing what is about to run when one of those pop ups ...pops up, is essential, google is your friend. Good luck :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

IMO Symmantec and McAfee have become pigs-it's like using an 18 wheel truck to get milk.

You can do your own comparisons here:
Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org - http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I've used AVG, AVAST (currently), and AVIRA (currently on a test bed-seems to work OK, has a constant nag screen). All seem to work as well with less overhead then the 'big 2'.
It's interesting how test results will vary for these products over time. The big 2 were great about 10 years ago, significantly ahead in the game. Now they are bloat monsters. One of the big problems is getting rid of them. Symmantec is extremely system invasive putting garbage all over your PC and not too neat about cleaning it up.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

+1 on Mcafee and Norton being crap. I like Eset. My opinion on the two crap ones is because I find them to be to resource needy and cumbersome.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Thanks everyone (except Nick! -- I HATE MACs!!!!). It looks like MS Essentials vs. AVG. And yes, Norton, et al seem to be bloat ware.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Peter Guy wrote:Thanks everyone (except Nick! -- I HATE MACs!!!!). It looks like MS Essentials vs. AVG. And yes, Norton, et al seem to be bloat ware.
-1 for AVG. That's a minus. M-I-N-U-S. (Nothing personal) My vote is to go with MS Essentials or Eset Nod32. I use Nod32 across my business network because it is highly customizable, it's resource light, and it's easy to administer. I use MS Essentials on my personal computers for the same reasons and it's free. AVG is free, but that is the only redeeming feature IMHO. I'll add that I've researched and used all of the major players. MSE and Nod32 are essentially the only two I don't hate. This isn't just a "I'm recommending the one thing I've used." opinion.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I use FREE AVG on one machine. I tried their paid version and the customer service was poor to say the best. On that machine and the others I also use ClamWin, Malware Bytes and Windows Defender(I'm still on XP), On the machines that don't use Free AVG I use ESET.

ESET has missed a couple of infections. ClamWin has provided a couple false positives. AVG has missed a couple of infections. As far as I know Malware Bytes has missed nothing. I run AVG, ESET and Defender as real time programs and have a schedule for the others

I used to use Norton but it didn't play well with several applications I needed to run. I dumped MacAfee years ago and havent't felt adventuresome enough to give it another try.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

+1 on Microsoft Security Essentials

It is free for consumers and is based on the same technologies as the business paid version of the software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/