A bit of a gripe

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Alexitt
Submariner

A bit of a gripe

Post by Alexitt »

I went to the UWS Divers Fair sale today (Friday day 1of 3) with the intention of picking up a pair of well advertised and sweetly priced Hp 119's and a few other odds-n-ends, I got there after work and was informed that they were all sold by 10am to a couple of people from Oregon... ALL SOLD!!! By 10am!!! On day 1 of a 3 day sale!!! To 2 People!!! 2 Pallets worth of tanks!!! WTF!!! Granted they were more than happy to give a raincheck and order them on the next truckload, so left with no other option I had to order them and now wait for delivery in a week or two instead of diving with them on Sunday as was the original plan... Needless to say I'm not pleased by how this sale was allowed since they knew these 2 people wouldn't be the only ones wanting to purchase a fairly big ticket item... Perhaps a limit of 4 or 6 per customer might have been a better choice than to let them all go in one pickup truck so others might have a @#$%^ing chance!!!!! There, I've said my piece.
Do I feel better?
No

To the folk's who bought all those tanks and deprived the rest of us who scrimp and save for something, I hope you get flats in all your tires including your spare.

Now I feel better
:angry: :angry: :angry:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

mancub
Dive-aholic

Re: A bit of a gripe

Post by mancub »

I did not realize two people bought the place out. I too, showed up after work and was unable to buy "my" tank (HP100). Sort of annoying to wait another week or two, but I do realize they have limited storage space. The place was overflowing as it was. I like your idea of limiting the number of tanks a single person can walk off with. Maybe next year have a limit, and anything over that you have to order like the rest of us. Or....I need to skip work next time around. First come first served is great for campgrounds, but when an item is so heavily advertised you would assume inventory could get through the first day, let alone first two hours.

Either way, the prices were good and I ran into some folks I haven't seen in a bit. I suppose we should be thankful they are taking orders for those of us who chose not to skip work.

Jacob
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

how much are they selling them for ? 305.00
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Reckon they got enough tanks to start a stable.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Lonestar wrote:Reckon they got enough tanks to start a stable.
or a "divers den"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tanks always sell out early on the first day at the Diver's Fair ... my guess is that the folks who bought them are either part of a dive club who participated in a "group" buy, or they're planning to resell them at a profit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

<sarcasm>The tanks were never there, it was a ploy to secure numerous tank orders so the business didn't have to put up front money. This way rather than over/under stocking they verify demand prior to ordering. </sarcasm>
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Norris wrote:<sarcasm>The tanks were never there, it was a ploy to secure numerous tank orders so the business didn't have to put up front money. This way rather than over/under stocking they verify demand prior to ordering. </sarcasm>
Hmmmmmm, anyone ever SEE the tanks that morning? :angelblue: <sarcasm>don't believe in sarcasm</sarcasm>
Last edited by Geek on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

UWS has a history of selling out even before they open the doors! I know for a fact that one year at least they took orders for all of the tanks well before the sale and even people who were there when the doors opened didn't get tanks. I don't know that that happened this year but????? :dontknow:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Geek wrote:
Norris wrote:<sarcasm>The tanks were never there, it was a ploy to secure numerous tank orders so the business didn't have to put up front money. This way rather than over/under stocking they verify demand prior to ordering. </sarcasm>
Hmmmmmm, anyone ever SEE the tanks that morning? :angelblue: <sarcasm>don't believe in sarcasm<sarcasm>
You didnt close your <sarcasm> tag so until you do, everything you type is sarcasm

just sayin'
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I was there at noon and all they had were a few hp 80's and a bunch of al 80's........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Starmonkie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Starmonkie »

Oh well, bit of a bummer as I too wanted to do an extra dive tomorrow. Last year, I went on the second day in the afternoon and purchased my 100; perhaps a delivery came in or they intentionally set aside a bunch for each day of the sale. If I were a store employee, it wouldn't be too fun having to hear for three days worth of patrons complaining about running out of items. :angry:
I'll be there with buoys on.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The absolutely had TONS of tanks there in the days preceding the sale. I think for sure multiple pallets of each of the tanks you guys are describing. So many that it was actually hard to maneuver around them to pick up MY tanks. To say they "didn't have em" and it's "ploy" to get people to order is not correct.

it is unfortunate that someone bought up all the tanks on the first day, but bob is likely correct. Group buy for club or whatever.

They order more and more tanks every year it seems, but historically tanks are one of the things people 'wait' till divers fair for. I know i did that when i got my first tanks..

its a catch 22, if they limit y'all to say 5 tanks a piece and get stuck with a shitload of tanks at the end of the fair, it's not good for them... if someone buys all the tanks the first day some people are unhappy... you just can't please all of the people all of the time. in reality if they limit to 5 tanks each, the 'club' will just have 15 people come in and each buy 5 tanks and the result will likely be the same. at least they are giving the raincheck...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

I hit the FW store about 1130 and was in and out in about 5 minutes with what I wanted. Gotta love the prices being good at all the stores.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ljjames wrote:The absolutely had TONS of tanks there in the days preceding the sale. I think for sure multiple pallets of each of the tanks you guys are describing. So many that it was actually hard to maneuver around them to pick up MY tanks. To say they "didn't have em" and it's "ploy" to get people to order is not correct.

it is unfortunate that someone bought up all the tanks on the first day, but bob is likely correct. Group buy for club or whatever.

They order more and more tanks every year it seems, but historically tanks are one of the things people 'wait' till divers fair for. I know i did that when i got my first tanks..

its a catch 22, if they limit y'all to say 5 tanks a piece and get stuck with a shitload of tanks at the end of the fair, it's not good for them... if someone buys all the tanks the first day some people are unhappy... you just can't please all of the people all of the time. in reality if they limit to 5 tanks each, the 'club' will just have 15 people come in and each buy 5 tanks and the result will likely be the same. at least they are giving the raincheck...
<sarcasm> Thanks for clearing the "ploy thing up.</sarcasm>
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

At least they're honoring the sale price even though they were sold out.

What sucks is the $XXXX.00 for Such Widget, then "Oh sorry, we only had 5 of them at that price. Here's what one will cost you now. Bait and switch...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Keep in mind, I say this as an Anarcho-Syndicalist who has read about 2 feet worth of Chomsky books on my bookshelf and has never once *ever* voted for a Republican...

Its a Capitalist economy.

Someone beat you to it.

Suck it up.

And I don't believe the Declaration of Independence recognizes the inalienable rights of "Life, Liberty and the immediate satisfaction of consumer desires..."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

LOL!!

ah lamont, you so crack me up... But as you found out today, good things can come of wandering in to divers fair :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep. I have my gripes w/ UWS. My house is less than a mie from the seattle store. I got certified there, and did my AOW there as well. I've been to every one of these since I started diving in 2006, and I'll probably swing by tomorrow. I may, or may not, buy anything. But I can't fault them for honoring a sale price on inventory that they sold out- they could just as easily have said that the sale price was limited to stock on hand.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Oddly enough I spoke with a buddy of mine who used to work for them for some years, and before I even got to the part about the buyers he said "Wait, don't tell me... Some guys from Oregon came up and bought them all up... I worked the divers fair for the 4 yrs. that I worked for them and they used that story every year." That being said Yes it sucks and I'm suckin' it up too... Whether it was a Club buy or a buy for resale is irrelevant, if you advertise something that heavily the average consumer (myself included) generally expects it to be available. I appreciate the fact that they are honoring the sale price and not limiting to stock on hand but it certainly has to make one wonder... So starting Mon. I'll be calling every day to see if the truck's in yet... :smt064

Instant Gratification, My Aunt Fanny...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Weird, I thought most Oregon divers dove AL80's and spent the big money on spear guns.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I'm just glad to know that so many "divers" were spending big money on gear this weekend. In a year or so a bunch of that stuff will be on craigslist at significantly reduced prices - and barely used! :)
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

You know, if I wasn't lazy I would look through the thread's from last year or year before last and see if UWS story has been used before.... that story about "Divers from Oregon" buying all the tanks tickles my memory for some reason. But I am lazy and don't really care, don't shop at UWS ;)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

I did see some peeps with oregon plates at Les Davis yesterday diving brand new tanks with underwater sports stickers on them. I said to myself "Ah, thems the ones"
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Several years ago I met a friend there before they opened on Friday and walked out 10 minutes after they opened with a bunch of 119's between the two of us. It didn't even make a dent in their stock at the time but I was glad we got there when we did, they sold out later that day. They've always sold out of the larger steel tanks on the first day, as long as I've been going (5 years now?).

Their prices are excellent and they honor the sale price after they sell out, which is a pretty great deal - they don't have to do that.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!