Cell Phone Help please!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Cell Phone Help please!

Post by Blaiz »

Ok, so if you were going to get a cell phone today which one would you get. Keep in mind that I don't really need a fancy phone like an iPhone. I made maybe a dozen calls a month, and have the same number of texts. Who is the best carrier and has the best service. I really don't look forward to the two-year contract but...
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Cell Phone Help please!

Post by kat »

i have been most happy with my nokia e71. stable, good call quality, good reception, well constructed. that has been my experience with nokia in general. i have at&t (nasty things about the company :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: )
their range is better than most, but i understand verizon is about equal or better at this point on coverage. i will let a verizon customer tell you if there are any angry fist shakings with them...
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
seaphilia
Avid Diver

Post by seaphilia »

Would NOT recommend a Samsung phone. The menu's will drive you crazy. And there is something screwy with the network connection. My buddy has a Motorola phone and standing next to each other with the same network provider, he will have a connection and I will not.

I have T-Mobile and the customer service is very good. Easy to talk with a real person. In the US, their network is not as extensive as Verizon, but if you travel out of country, it is better.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We're happy with Verizon, having tried several others in the past (I can PM you those if you want because I don't want to start something here). As for phone, I get whatever is the cheapest that will let me make calls, keep a contact list, and do text messages. Things like camera etc. are optional for me depending on price. But Verizon lets you upgrade your phone every year and they give some really good deals.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'm a Verizon guy, have been for the last 10 years. I think they're great, and haven't had any problems with them (my sister-in-law works for Verizon, so I'm obligated to say that!) I've had good luck with Nokia, LG, and Motorola phones, both smart and dumb.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

If you stay in King County, any of the carriers should work fine.

If you travel outside of major cities in the US, Verizon is the best hands down. I learned this first hand driving from Wisconsin to Seattle a couple of times. I kept asking lizard0924 if I could use her Verizon phone since my AT&T phone would say "NO SERVICE".
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

psundquist wrote:If you stay in King County, any of the carriers should work fine.

If you travel outside of major cities in the US, Verizon is the best hands down. I learned this first hand driving from Wisconsin to Seattle a couple of times. I kept asking lizard0924 if I could use her Verizon phone since my AT&T phone would say "NO SERVICE".
Ah yes, but now that we both worship at the temple of AT&T (stupid iPhone proprietary silliness....), whatever will we do when we drive someplace remote?! :eek:

+1 for Verizon....best and most consistent coverage across the board.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Years ago when I bought my first cell phone, we were doing the Lake Crescent searches for the Warren vehicle. Verizon was the ONLY company that had coverage out there, so that is the way that I went. Since then I have found their coverage to be superior to anything else that I've run across, only not having coverage when I've been out in the middle of literally nowhere.

I'm not in love with my phone right now, so it'll go unmentioned, but I do really like the Verizon coverage area.

- ohn
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i would say Verizon since your over on whidbey ... Air touch cellular was the first company to put up towers in the area along with Motorola... airtouch is now verizon.. I have No problems over there with my Phone, other than the dead spot at deception pass...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I like sprint, i even had 3 g at a certain bayou location back in them ner stix.

But they do roam off of verizon (without the verizon price) and its free to do so.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

Verizon. Works in Neah Bay, even if not in Deception Pass. Works on Mt Baker, too. As for the best phone, I just look for a loud ring at a low price, so I'm not qualified to comment on all the wiz-bang features.