I'm a cyber diver now

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
renoun
I've Got Gills

I'm a cyber diver now

Post by renoun »

Thursday was my big day and I got a cadaver cornea transplanted into my left eye. Day surgery, been home for a couple of days now and I'm finally out and about some. Today has been the first day I could read or use a computer for any amount of time but improvement has been rapid. I haven't talked to DAN yet my my surgeon thinks I should plan on being dry for at least three months.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: I'm a cyber diver now

Post by LCF »

Well, it's sad to be dry for a while, but I'll bet it's good to see! Glad the transplant went well, and the water will still be there when you're ready for it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You go Ross! Get well soon
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Hope to see you back in the water soon Ross!!

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery, Ross.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

That is fantastic! I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nothing so presious as sight! Listen to the doc. The fishies will be waiting in three months too
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Congratulations!

Many of us have been grounded for good reason. The water was still there when we went back and it didn't take long for the fun to return. In the meantime who knows what kind of interesting things you will find, eh?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Very cool! (The eyesight getting better, not the cyberdiving.) Just think of all the great stuff you'll see when you return in 3 months.
Kelly
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I'm glad you got the operation Ross. Here's to a swift and uncomplicated recovery!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

So there I was making breakfast this morning. Close right eye, squint a little, and ...

I can read the clock on the microwave!!!
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Awesome, Ross.

Glad to hear you're making quick progress
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

renoun wrote:So there I was making breakfast this morning. Close right eye, squint a little, and ...

I can read the clock on the microwave!!!
Still blinks 12:00 just like always...yayyyy
Fixed that for you :joshsmith:

Glad the recovery is showing Ross, hang in there buddy!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Was this similar to laser eye surgery. I had prk surgery and I don't regret any moment of the wait. Hope to see you diving again soon Ross
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dashrynn wrote:Was this similar to laser eye surgery.
Not really, they cut out part of my eye and stitched in a replacement from a deceased doner as illustrated below while I was under general anesthesia.
More detailed information about corneal transplant surgery.

I'm fortunate to have received a donated organ. While I'm not aware of a shortage of corneas for transplant there are many other organs and tissues that are in short supply. Please take the time to talk with your family if you would consider being an organ doner in the event of your untimely demise and if you are a Washington resident please use the official online donor registry at donatelifetoday.com/
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

renoun wrote:I'm fortunate to have received a donated organ. While I'm not aware of a shortage of corneas for transplant there are many other organs and tissues that are in short supply. Please take the time to talk with your family if you would consider being an organ doner in the event of your untimely demise and if you are a Washington resident please use the official online donor registry at donatelifetoday.com/

+++++++1

Organ donation is a far, far underutilized process which can give so much good amongst a bad event.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Blaiz wrote:
renoun wrote:I'm fortunate to have received a donated organ. While I'm not aware of a shortage of corneas for transplant there are many other organs and tissues that are in short supply. Please take the time to talk with your family if you would consider being an organ doner in the event of your untimely demise and if you are a Washington resident please use the official online donor registry at donatelifetoday.com/

+++++++1

Organ donation is a far, far underutilized process which can give so much good amongst a bad event.

+++1 from me too. I've never understood why someone wouldn't donate--it's not like you're going to need your organs after you die!!
Kelly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ktb wrote:
Blaiz wrote:
+++++++1

+++1 from me too. I've never understood why someone wouldn't donate--it's not like you're going to need your organs after you die!!
In addition to donating organs you don't need, why not agree to donate tissues which are replaceable?

Bone marrow or stem cells are completely renewable in a healthy person. But for someone with cancer or some other diseases a bone marrow or stem cell transplant is often their only hope of survival. And many (particularly mixed race) people die waiting for a suitable match. You can request a kit by mail and send them a cheek swab to register your basic tissue type. They will call you for further testing if you are a tentative match.
http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html?src=tabjoin
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i always wondered about the marrow/tissue donation, would you have to pay out of pocket if you are uninsured? or does the other persons insurance cover you?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kat wrote:i always wondered about the marrow/tissue donation, would you have to pay out of pocket if you are uninsured? or does the other persons insurance cover you?
actually there are places that will pay you to donate marrow. a friend down in oakland helped pay his way through a couple of semesters of school by donating marrow every couple of months.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

spatman wrote:
kat wrote:i always wondered about the marrow/tissue donation, would you have to pay out of pocket if you are uninsured? or does the other persons insurance cover you?
actually there are places that will pay you to donate marrow. a friend down in oakland helped pay his way through a couple of semesters of school by donating marrow every couple of months.
Isn't donating marrow quite painful?
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

I'm a cyber diver now

Post by spatman »

ktb wrote:
spatman wrote:
Isn't donating marrow quite painful?
He said he was sore for a few days afterward, but I don't think the process was too bad.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Finally cleared to dive

Post by renoun »

I saw my surgeon this afternoon. He removed a stitch from the graft for the fist time. Many stitches remain but this one was loose so he gave me a couple of eye drops to numb my eye and snipped it out free hand looking through a microscope. I'm on a few days of antibiotic drops but once I'm done with them he said that I'm free to resume diving and other rigorous activities. Some time next week I'll be able to end my nearly five month dry spell.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Wahoo!!! Awesome news. So, so happy for you.
:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Kelly
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

That's great news!!!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!