gear theft

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: gear theft

Post by CaptnJack »

lamont wrote:i'd kind of suspect that they didn't do too much research. probably they hit the block at 2AM and went looking for stuff in cars and found it there...

they should setup honeypots for thieves like this. car with a expensive-looking camera on the front seat, but the camera has got a GPS unit and broadcasts back its location over cell towers. cops get an alert that its on the move and they go follow the perp home, judge issues a warrant to arrest them and search the house once they get home -- probably lots of stolen property recovered...
They do this with popular cars to steal already. They turn off the stolen car after a few blocks and child lock the doors, dipsheets just have to sit there until arrest.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sorry about the theft, at least your meg is safe at home right?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:
lamont wrote:i'd kind of suspect that they didn't do too much research. probably they hit the block at 2AM and went looking for stuff in cars and found it there...

they should setup honeypots for thieves like this. car with a expensive-looking camera on the front seat, but the camera has got a GPS unit and broadcasts back its location over cell towers. cops get an alert that its on the move and they go follow the perp home, judge issues a warrant to arrest them and search the house once they get home -- probably lots of stolen property recovered...
They do this with popular cars to steal already. They turn off the stolen car after a few blocks and child lock the doors, dipsheets just have to sit there until arrest.
Right, I'm saying do basically the same thing, but with the idea to catch the guy who busts out the window to steal the camera sitting in the front seat...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Grrrrrr. makes me so mad! There has been a string of bad car luck lately. Really sorry to hear about this Laura. We'll get you diving again in no time.
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

You might have Rick Stratton send out an e-mail blast to his list...
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Sorry Laura. I would recommend informing discount divers. I hear a lot of stolen gear ends up there. Easy way to get quick money for drugs.
I will put the word out on my email list.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: gear theft

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Right, I'm saying do basically the same thing, but with the idea to catch the guy who busts out the window to steal the camera sitting in the front seat...
Sounds great. But SPD is so under funded and understaffed that they can barely respond to active 911 calls. Theft is way, way down their priority list.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

do you need to borrow anything?
i got doubles, stages, lights, odd and ends
let me know and i will get it to you through dan
sorry about your loss
do not worry, karma will drown their sorry asses
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I wish I could help out by offering some of my gear for you to use, but my stuff is so far below what you do it'd be like offering you a toy phone to call 911. Best I can do is sympathize. I'm sorry I can't do more.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Sounds like you have plenty of offers for gear laura, I'll offer to break the fingers of the person/person's who did this to you :angry:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

mattwave wrote:Sorry Laura. I would recommend informing discount divers. I hear a lot of stolen gear ends up there. Easy way to get quick money for drugs.
I will put the word out on my email list.
thanks matt, i'll for sure stop in there and drop off the pictures in person.

and anyone who could pass the list on to their LDS, i'd be very very appreciative.

the heart fins will likely give the stolen kit away :( or all the bling on the reels and backup lights. or at least the glue residue from the bling.

thanks again to everyone passing the info on...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote: Sounds great. But SPD is so under funded and understaffed that they can barely respond to active 911 calls. Theft is way, way down their priority list.
I know just sayin' its not a new concept. Could be done, just not a priority as painful and theft and car prowls are.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Geek wrote:...I'll offer to break the fingers of the person/person's who did this to you :angry:
yeah, and I'll bring the bodybag and shovel... :snipersmiley: :jason:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

mz53480 wrote:
Geek wrote:...I'll offer to break the fingers of the person/person's who did this to you :angry:
I'll help you sink em in the bottom of the sound... but.. oh wait... they took my FINS! :angry:
----
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

bigsky wrote:do not worry, karma will drown their sorry asses
Karma definitely reaches those who have it coming to them. It's amazing how often it really bites the deserving in the ass.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Sorry to hear it. Theft of any kind to any one stinks.

Hope you have good car insurance or that you took the time to insure the gear itself... which serves as a good reminder for everyone to check your policies for car and home insurance. Most offer riders at fairly reasonable rates that will cover these kinds of things and given how often you might leave kits, etc, in cars or in fairly easy-to-enter garages/storage areas, you want to be sure you are covered.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

ljjames wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
I'll help you sink em in the bottom of the sound... but.. oh wait... they took my FINS! :angry:
That, I can help you with. They're split fins, but they should be sufficient for this task!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I've got one XL jet fin she can borrow, and a tusa splitfin to go on the other foot...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

you guys are the bestest... :)
----
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
yeah, and I'll bring the bodybag and shovel... :snipersmiley:
Speaking of which, I have a pair of turtles you're more than welcome to borrow indefinitely. Don't laugh, but they just might fit you.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
lamont wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Sounds great. But SPD is so under funded and understaffed that they can barely respond to active 911 calls. Theft is way, way down their priority list.
Here's my 200 psi: Even if SPD is understaffed and out of money, they have a computer system that the serial numbers and basic descriptors can be entered into. Thus if any officers come across something out of place at a crime scene, like say, expensive dive gear in the home of a druggy, they can run the serial numbers through the system and see if they get a hit. And keep in mind that since the value is greater than $500 it's likely a felony(In AK anyway.). I think it's worth calling SPD to see what they say. At the very least offer some serial numbers if you have them.

Also, give them the description of the person you saw earlier in the day. You would be amazed at how many people call law enforcement with something they think is nothing, and then it generates a whole new set of leads.

How well do you know your neighbors? Maybe ask them if they know who's been hangin round that looks out of place.

And BTW, I trolled E-Bay, but didn't see any matches - I'll keep looking over the weekend.

Sorry for the loss, hopefully it doesn't keep you out of the water too long.

EDIT: Looked up the WA statute - RCW 9A.56.040 Theft II is a class C felony if the value is greater than $250.00. I'm certain you gear is worth at least that..... I'd be callin the po po's yo!!!!
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

oh yes, filed the whole police report, etc... over $1500 its automatic police interview. Need it for the insurance claim anyway. Serial numbers, description, photos, whole 9 yards. I've seen things come back before after thefts (the best was a DAN O2 kit) tanks often show up at dive shops sooner or later.
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Anyone put up at "looking for doubles" add on craigslist yet to see who responds? :)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hey laura

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can search all of craigslist by googling the following:

site:craigslist.org enter-your-search-term-here

ie: site:craigslist.org halcyon wing

it takes google a day or two to catalog the listings, and may not be perfect, but it is a way to see if maybe the stolen gear is listed in a market most of us wouldn't normally be looking at.