gear theft

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

gear theft

Post by ljjames »

pleas be on lookout for full doubles kit w/halcyon gear. my truck was broken into and they stole whole kit.

list of items to follow.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
doug7377
Avid Diver

Re: gear theft

Post by doug7377 »

that suck been ther ill be looking
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

f*******k
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Bastards....may they rot. :angry:

I hope that your gear is recovered....soon, and in good condition.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

When you post the details I'll definitely be watching for them on craigslist. Hopefully the thief is dumb and tries to unload your gear locally.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
spatman
I've Got Gills

gear theft

Post by spatman »

That suuuucks! So sorry, Laura.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:angry:

Suck!

What do people do with dive gear they steal anyway? CL? EBAY? Everybody who gets robbed checks CL and EBAY to try and get it back.

Pawnshops won't give you much for it, if they'll even take it. Most dive shops won't touch a whole pile of gear from someone the don't know.

Hopefully you get it back!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man, I hate theives. Sorry, Laura! Where did the theft happen?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

on the street in front of our place. obviously cased. didnt get home till 11pm last night. took all the 'small' gear out of truck. figured with generally nice neighborhood and relative weight and complexity of getting a doubles rig out of my truck it would be okay overnight. they broke 2 windows, and took the trouble to pull the full doubles kit out the side door when they realized they couldn't get back window of truck down to open tailgate.

not like the gear isn't somewhat unique *sigh*
----
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

sucks to hear that my dear .... atleast they didnt get your scooter, and camera gear
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Man that blows. Let us know what's missing as soon as you have a list
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

i know when my gear was steal out of my car the girl was trying to sell it at ever Pawnshops from everett to mount vernon and only got 100.00 for ever thing and the pawnshops i talk to dont like taking tanks. hope you get ever thing back
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ljjames wrote:on the street in front of our place. obviously cased. didnt get home till 11pm last night. took all the 'small' gear out of truck. figured with generally nice neighborhood and relative weight and complexity of getting a doubles rig out of my truck it would be okay overnight. they broke 2 windows, and took the trouble to pull the full doubles kit out the side door when they realized they couldn't get back window of truck down to open tailgate.

not like the gear isn't somewhat unique *sigh*
That sucks. Yeah, sounds like someone knew exactly what they were going for. Sorry to hear it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Lame! I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll get it all back.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Hopefully you are able to provide us with serial #'s for the involved equipment.
Sorry to hear that Laura. I'm sure you have enogh equip to do whatever dives you have planned
But if you're short anything at all just give us a call a Capital.

That's really a shitty deal, I too hope there's a special place in hell reserved for these asshats.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Argh! :angry:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

total BS, you think maybe it was one of your tweek newbies who knew where the divers den is, and what you had, and what you unloaded, new students are usually not ready to dump money into gear. Just a thought.

sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a set of LP 98's OMS tanks banded and manifolded i would sell to you if your interested. what size were they?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

ya, i have serial numbers for regs and things.

so far here's what it's looking like:

older set of HP102 doubles, galvanized with big nitroxs sticker on them. I'll have to look at my other sets to see what name to look for on the neck. the bands are 'odd' and i think its the set with a piece of black webbing that runs from bolt to bolt on the inside.

Evolve 40' wing
Aluminum backplate with Cinch harness (light retaining system on right side, d-ring assembly on left)
scout mini, pink bling next to bolt snap (or adhesive where the were if picked off)
scout HP (pink bling next to bolt snap (or adhesive where picked off)
Two H75P first stage
Two halo 2nd stages
Doubles hose kit
Spg
Evolve 40
Pathfinder 400 Reel with LOTS of bling (pink on wheel, blue on handle)
Jetfins with SOLAS tape hearts and my initials, medium halcyon spring heels
small SMB
6cf Argon bottle (yellow)
Oxyspy O2 analyzer
Last edited by ljjames on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Maverick wrote:total BS, you think maybe it was one of your tweek newbies who knew where the divers den is, and what you had, and what you unloaded, new students are usually not ready to dump money into gear. Just a thought.

sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a set of LP 98's OMS tanks banded and manifolded i would sell to you if your interested. what size were they?

Nah, none of the tweek newbies would do this. its only the fundies students basically who know where i live (that i know of) and Lamont ;) They all have already spent the $$ on the gear.

I might be interested in those tanks mav...
----
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ljjames wrote: Nah, none of the tweek newbies would do this. its only the fundies students basically who know where i live (that i know of) and Lamont ;) They all have already spent the $$ on the gear.

I might be interested in those tanks mav...
I already have too much halcyon, I don't need the regulators.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What really sucks is it might be another diver. Most people don't know what that stuff is worth unless they dive. :angry:
Just a thought, You have been on TV a couple of times and that could have been the lead they needed to find you. Sad but true.

Glad you got all the putters and camera stuff out. That would have been a major bummer.
Dive_Girl
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Dive_Girl »

What a bummer! My mouth dropped when I read your post! I had always sort of hoped that a set of doubles would be too much trouble to steal and I am just shocked!

I recommend keeping an eye out in the Portland market too as we will do here at the shop for you. I hope for recovery of these items!
If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu.
http://www.pnwscuba.com
http://www.sevenseasscuba.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

yeah, divegirl, same here regarding the dubs.

all I can say is, I guess use my misfortune as a reminder to take ALL your kit out of rig, no matter how heavy or nice a neighborhood you think you live.

I doubt it had anything to do w/tv stuff, I do a couple odd things a year. more likely someone saw all the gear whilst doing something (lots of construction and such) on our dead end street, I actually think I saw the gentlemen who may have been casing it earlier in the day) since I am carrying the gear in and out a lot. ironically I had removed the whole kit the several nights before.

*sigh* it could have been worse.
----
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i'd kind of suspect that they didn't do too much research. probably they hit the block at 2AM and went looking for stuff in cars and found it there...

they should setup honeypots for thieves like this. car with a expensive-looking camera on the front seat, but the camera has got a GPS unit and broadcasts back its location over cell towers. cops get an alert that its on the move and they go follow the perp home, judge issues a warrant to arrest them and search the house once they get home -- probably lots of stolen property recovered...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Laura, I have a 6cf argon bottle I don't use any more. You're welcome to use it as long as you want to.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."