Stolen Photo

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Stolen Photo

Post by Tangfish »

I just found one of my photos being used on this site:

http://www.divebuddy.com/divesite.aspx?DiveSiteID=2807

It was taken from this article:

http://www.calvintang.com/blog/2006/11/ ... ing-review

I am asking the site admin to remove it. You PNW photogs might want to take a look at the dive site listings and make sure that none of your images are being used inappropriately:

http://www.divebuddy.com/divesites.aspx
:pirate:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Stolen Photo

Post by kdupreez »

[edit - wasnt the same guy that ripped off other pics in the past.. ]

Either way, its a great photo from your equipment review web site, BUT, it has no clear indication that the photo is copyright.. its labeled as "sample photos".. but now watermark.

I know your web site says copyright etc.. but the actual photo is labeled as a sample and in this case it was used to highlight a dive site location, so nobody is gaining any financial benefit from the perceived "copyright infringement"

just sayin - your photo is publicly available as a "sample" picture and without any copyright implied on the image itself, its a tough call..

but I agree, the guy who supplied it implied it as his own is a douche.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Stolen Photo

Post by Tangfish »

Sorry, but "© Copyright 2005-2011 CalvinTang.com. All rights reserved." legally means that the content is not available for repurposing.

Copyright law on the web is pretty clear cut these days and notices like this are internationally recognized and have been for some time now, despite the fact that it's generally "polite" to ask for permission to use someone else's intellectual property - and in doing so content creators are typically generous with their work.

Furthermore, as you pointed out, the person who submitted it to that site has implied that it's his photo, which beyond theft makes it a case of plagiarism.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

kdupreez wrote: BUT, it has no clear indication that the photo is copyright.. its labeled as "sample photos".. but now watermark.

I know your web site says copyright etc.. but the actual photo is labeled as a sample and in this case it was used to highlight a dive site location, so nobody is gaining any financial benefit from the perceived "copyright infringement"

just sayin - your photo is publicly available as a "sample" picture and without any copyright implied on the image itself, its a tough call.
I could NOT disagree with you more! Knock it off with the "copyright must be implied by a watermark" nonsense! Too many people use that to justify blatant theft in their own minds. The moment that a photograph is taken it becomes the sole property of the photographer, (or the person/company that has hired that photographer). There is no ambiguity in this. The fact that something is easy to steal, as in this case, does not in any way, manner, shape or form take away from the fact that the photo was stolen.

Considering the link from which the photo was stolen, it would have been easy for the thief to have contacted Calvin and asked permission to use the photo. Instead, he/she just took it. Those people that somehow justify theft by the fact that the stolen item wasn't "adequately protected" in some manner that you feel is necessary are simply barking up the wrong tree.

Flat out - THIS WAS WRONG.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:so nobody is gaining any financial benefit from the perceived "copyright infringement"
there are ad banners on the website. making the website more attractive garners more pageviews. pageviews and possible banner clicks result in revenue for the site owner.

so yes, the person who is using calvin's photo is making money off of it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Yeah you guys for sure have good points and I totally agree this dude was a douche to steal the photo..

All I'm saying from what I've experienced before with working with Getty Images here in seattle on a project for specifically auto searching, tagging and identifying and going after "stolen images", is that trying to prove you own copyright on a "sample" digital picture without any watermarkings and that's hosted on a public web site, is next to impossible..

They watermark everything digitally.

but again, the dude's a douche, I agree..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Thanks Calvin,

I found a bunch of my photos on the same web site. Most still watermarked.

kdupreez,

All of my photos (and hopefully Calvins) have a copyright notice embedded in them by the camera as they are taken. I have had to use this data to prove ownership of photos before that had the visible watermark cropped out (or once covered with some else's copyright). This happened at a couple of large University web sites (one here in Seattle) where I actually had to get the University IT staff to look at the EXIF information embedded in the images that were hosted on their own sites.

When they see the Copyright @ 2011 Scott Boyd embedded in the image, it usually (but not always) stops the denial. I'm glad that I don't have Getty's problems with stolen images. Tracking them down could be a full time job.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I'm an outside observer, but my take is watermarking is like marking your dive gear or any other property. You own it whether or not you've marked it, but marking is both a theft deterent and an easy way to prove ownership. If I am going to place my personal property on the web I'm going to assume there will be some who will try to steal it if it is of any value. In the case of John and Calvin's photography there is definitely value. Unless you secure it in some way someone is going to walk off with that property. The honor system won't be enough deterrent IMHO. Why not watermark everything as a precaution?
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

boydski wrote:All of my photos (and hopefully Calvins) have a copyright notice embedded in them by the camera as they are taken
EXIF metadata not a tamper proof system either, its collection of text tags that are in the header of the image file with the intent to help image companies like Getty, Reuters, etc. identify things like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, source camera, photographer, etc. But can be easily stripped (as easy as cropping). Also, Not all image types support EXIF and lots of apps will strip EXIF when you crop or re-save a pic.. lots of online image galleries also strip EXIF when you upload the pic.. (which is actually a very good thing for privacy reasons!)

but yeah, nothing like pointing a dumb-ass-image-cropping thief that thought he "got away" to the EXIF :)

In this case, Calvin had no copyright in a watermark or in the EXIF :(

AND the thief (or online gallery he uploaded it to) stripped all exif...

BTW - Very interesting case we had was that iPhone images and most location tagging cameras now record the GPS coordinates of where the pciture was taken in the EXIF.. Imagine.. Your daughter and friends takes pictures of themselves hanging out by the pool everyday during a summer vacation, uploads them to a social media site and next think you know, some a-hole has their GPS coordinates with like a 2ft accuracy!! After this, it made me think twice on when and where I upload pics and when I even include EXIF at all...
Last edited by kdupreez on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

airsix wrote: Why not watermark everything as a precaution?
Both Calvin and I are heavily involved in ventures commonly described as "Web-Based Magazines". Placing a visible watermark across the face of a photo would render it FAR less attractive to a reader of the magazine. In that case we would be protecting our photos from thieves, but making our publications less attractive to our legitimate readers. Our goal is to make our readers happy, and increase their number. Unfortunately, just like any other type of business, that leaves us open to those that do not have our best interests in mind.

The point here is that we are well aware that our photos are subject to theft....this is no surprise to us. That does NOT mean, however, that we should feel all warm and fuzzy about the thieves whenever we discover them.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:EXIF metadata not a tamper proof system either
there's no such thing as a tamper-proof system for online imagery. if it's posted on a public website, it can be repurposed, often with no way to trace it back to the original photographer or artist, other than someone recognizing and reporting it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

From their own TOS... :boxer: http://www.divebuddy.com/terms.aspx
8. Content/Activity Prohibited.
8.8 constitutes or promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacturer-installed copy-protect devices, or providing pirated music or links to pirated music files;

8.16 violates the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark rights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.
They do have a complaint proceedure:
9. Protecting Copyrights and Other Intellectual Property. DiveBuddy respects the intellectual property of others, and requires that our users do the same. You may not upload, embed, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that infringes any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights of any person or entity. DiveBuddy has the right to terminate the Membership of infringers.

If you believe your work has been copied and posted on or through the DiveBuddy Services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please send DiveBuddy a notification of claimed infringement with all of the following information: (a) identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works; (b) identification of the claimed infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on the DiveBuddy Services (providing the URL(s) of the claimed infringing material satisfies this requirement); (c) information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an email address; (d) a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; (e) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or a uthorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf; and (f) your physical or electronic signature. DiveBuddy for notification of claimed infringement can be reached as follows: Davis Companies, Inc., P.O. Box 150, Dodge, TX 77334, Attn: Copyright; or by email: copyright@divebuddy.com
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

John Rawlings wrote:Both Calvin and I are heavily involved in ventures commonly described as "Web-Based Magazines". Placing a visible watermark across the face of a photo would render it FAR less attractive to a reader of the magazine. In that case we would be protecting our photos from thieves, but making our publications less attractive to our legitimate readers. Our goal is to make our readers happy, and increase their number. Unfortunately, just like any other type of business, that leaves us open to those that do not have our best interests in mind.
Those are very good points, John. Thank you for that follow-up.

What surprises me is that site publishing tools aren't automating some basic theft prevention measures like carving up the image and presenting it as a mosaic (undetectable to the viewer) or masking it with a separate transparent image. (I've done both by hand many years ago, but I'd assume modern site tools would make it an automated process by now) Both of those examples can be overcome by a determined thief, but I think 99.9% of thieves are lazy and easily deterred with some simple obstacles.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just to clear a couple things up (sorry, was out diving all day during this conversation - and yes, I did wake up at 6:30AM!):

- The owner/admin of the site did not post the image, a user did.

- I submitted a DMCA Copyright Notice and the owner/admin of the site took it down straight away :partydance: (thank you)

I concur with what John said; it's a balance that each artist has to decide upon for themselves - do you do as many things as possible to deter the would-be thieves - or do you publish in a way that is most convenient and enjoyable for your intended audience? I used to lean toward the former - but the more I do this photography thing the more I have shifted my priority towards making it the best possible experience for the legit reader, which is why the images in the AtlasOmega gallery are all very large. They do show a watermark, but at that size many of them could be cropped out. I feel that having watermarks on all the images within stories would be too distracting, so I leave them out. I may change my mind on some of this later, but right now this is how I'm approaching it.

Also, I'd rather spend more time capturing and publishing photos than trying to hunt people down who've used them inappropriately. So, most of the time that I discover one used improperly, it's by accident. Also, I do get a steady stream of requests to use my photos, and my general rule of thumb is that if they're making money then I charge them a reasonable fee. If it's for an educational or non-profit purpose, I just ask that they provide proper attribution and a link.

When you think about how much time, energy, money, creativity and love we put into our craft as photographers - it's really darn insulting for someone to steal an image and republish it as their own. :angry:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

this photographer, thomas hawk, has used his non-watermarked freely distributed images as a way to get himself known.
You make so much of your work available for free, using a Creative Commons license. Why do it this way?

It just feels right to me for some reason. I’m not depending on this work to put food on my table right now. I have the job for that. By licensing things this way my work gets more exposure I think. I also sell a lot of photos without doing any marketing at all just because they are seen on the web. I largely don’t worry about personal or unauthorized use that is not likely to generate meaningful money at this point anyways.

I like sharing. I like the idea that my work can be more accessible and meaningful for other people with these licenses as well.

What has been the greatest or most interesting return on that generosity?

Definitely the people. I’ve met such amazing people through my photography. Other artists, other photographers, models, subjects. Many of these people have found my work because it’s popular and I think CC licensing helps with popularity, as does large-sized images, no watermarks, etc. So people have found me that I’ve been fortunate to meet. People that have been very generous with me. People that work on the tools side of digital imaging. People that are doing cutting edge things with art today.
read the whole interview here:
http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/the-ques ... omas-hawk/

http://www.flickr.com/people/thomashawk/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great find. If you keep reading though he says this:
I do make some money though. The license I use for the vast majority of my image is Creative Commons Non-Commercial. Meaning that anyone can use them for personal or non-profit use, but if a company wants to use one they would need to contact me and buy it. So I’m only partially giving them away.
In other words, he would still not have liked that guy plagiarizing his work on a commercial site with ads! :smt064
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I keep it safe. Nobody ever stole off-axis lighting. :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tangfish wrote:In other words, he would still not have liked that guy plagiarizing his work on a commercial site with ads! :smt064
not disputing you on that one, buddy.