Gear Stolen, South Everett

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Gear Stolen, South Everett

Post by trevorrowe »

Sorry for this being light on details. I just got home, it's late and I'm peeved. My truck was broken into sometime today (they went through the back window) and they took a bunch of stuff. I should have unloaded everything from diving last night, but I only unloaded what was in the bed of the truck and I left some stuff in the cab when I went to work today.

Car stereo, jack and unimportant stuff aside, here is a list of some things to keep an eye out for. I'll try to post a more specific list tomorrow after work:

- 50 Watt Salvo Dive light (Anderson connectors, large battery)
- 2x 119cf Worthington Steel tanks
- size large weezle extreme plus undergarment (dark/navy blue)
- Olympus Fe 12MP camera plus underwater housing (clear with red)
- transfill whip, with metal-looking short braided hose, plastic spg (not liquid filled)
- HOG D1 cold water regulator set for singles (1 first stage, 2 second stages, SPG, hoses)
- save-a-dive toolbox (clear/light blue) with tools, bolt snaps, regulator port plus, din valve inserts, cave line, shock cord, spring straps, etc, lots of other miscellany

Except for the toolbox, which I'm sure will get pitched, if you see any of this very easy to identify dive gear on craigslist or elesewhere, please let me know.

Thanks.

EDIT: I've updated the list of gear that was taken.
Last edited by trevorrowe on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Gear Stolen, South Everett

Post by H20doctor »

Ohhhhh man.. I'm so sorry trever
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Thanks Chris. I'm just glad I got my scooter, drysuit, dive computer, and everything else in. I feel so stupid for leaving those things my truck cab. I could just kick myself. Then I remind myself, I wasn't the creep that broken into the truck to STEAL things. I can't imagine what they will do with my weezle. They even took the cover off my radio?!?! who does that, it doesn't work without the actual radio!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm SO sorry to hear of this! Thieves deserve whatever happens to them....and may it happen soon! :angry:

Maybe it just seems like it because it involves people that I know, but it seems like there is a rash of thefts happening over the past couple of months.

I hope that your gear is recovered soon...

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

That really sucks! I cant even remember all the equipment I have had stolen ( really miss my compressor ) I would set up an aleart on craigslistnotify.com on all the surrounding counties and you will get an email if anything matching your keywords gets posted. make the keywords as general as possible, you will get more emails and if the crooks dont know what they have precicely it will come up. instead of "Salvo HID Dive light" it may be listed as "underwater flashlight" that sort of thing.
Also keep the search active, often criminals store stolen goods for several months before trying to hawk them.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware there was a website / service that did this. I'll keep my eyes open.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That really sucks! You would think someone would have seen this going on since it involved a bit of time and probably more than one person to pull off. Sounds like to me you were targeted. Thats allot of heavy gear for a random smash and run. Your average thief wouldn't grab a 100 lbs of steel tanks and haul them off.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

I'm with Dusty, looks like it was planned. Check with your neighbors, maybe some one have seen or heard something. It seems we are getting more cases like this lately, this is really sad.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

That is just such a rotten deal. What in hell can thieves be doing with dive gear? Not the easiest stuff to fence.

We had a set of Halcyon pockets with lead taken out of the yard. Huh? What do you do with Pockets and 20# of lead? Hard to think it was targeted, we don't have any other divers in the neighborhood we know of.

EDIT - by targeted I was referring to our particular lead/pocket theft.

This theft looks really odd to me.
Last edited by fmerkel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

wth. another set of doubles... just like mine.... when you talk to the cops, mention that doubles are a really odd thing to be stolen and that at least one other set was taken in similar fashion in seattle in past few months... you can even give them my police report. i agree that there may be some targeting going on. where had you dove most recently?
Last edited by ljjames on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

oh man, that SUCKS, trevor! so sorry to hear that!

with all these thefts lately, i find it hard to believe it's random.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

another thing that might be of note to the cops... in my case there was a checkbook that had fallen out of my coat pocket when i was taking my soft-goods out of truck. (ya, stupid me for not checking that it was there till the morning) Luckily I closed the account immediately just in case. Anyhow the thieves used some of the checks actually up in the north seattle, edmonds, south everett area.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Trevor, Im SO sorry to hear this man! Will your auto or homeowners/renters insurance cover any of it? I'll be keeping an eye out for your gear and until you get your stuff replaced you're welcome to any of mine!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I actually wasn't my doubles, I unloaded those from the truck bed. I keep my single 119s in the cab as loaners and for topping off my doubles. Either way it stinks.

I filled a police report over the web with the Everett Police. I except to hear from them soon. I am calling my renters insurance provider today as well. As far as I can tell from my policy it *should* cover it. I don't have the money to replace this gear myself right now.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

this may help am in south everett and around sept i got my gear stolen out of my car to but they find most of my gear and got the girl who did it her name is (SIOBHAN MARIE HARRIS-JONES case # 10-1-01017-2) and she tryed to pawn ever thing in skagit county she still free and awaiting trail but let the cop know when ther call you she may be at it again
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Nooooo!!!!!! That really sucks.... I'm bringing my gear in from my car right now (just in case any thieves are reading)...
April
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

I have a set of lp85 dubs, a single hp100, a spare undergarment, pistol grip light, extra 1st and 2nd stages (hog), and a camera with housing you are welcome to use for however long you need them dude. Sorry this happened to you, or that it happens to anyone.
:angry:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I just got off the phone with my insurance provider. Fortunately I've never filled a claim before and they seem to be treating me very respectfully. They will probably (after I prove I owned all of this stuff) cut me a check for the used/depreciated value of each item. Then they *should* cut me a check for the difference of replacement costs (thats what the claims person said on the phone today).

I wonder what this will do to my deductible/premiums...
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

trevorrowe wrote:I just got off the phone with my insurance provider. Fortunately I've never filled a claim before and they seem to be treating me very respectfully. They will probably (after I prove I owned all of this stuff) cut me a check for the used/depreciated value of each item. Then they *should* cut me a check for the difference of replacement costs (thats what the claims person said on the phone today).

If its like it was with me they will drop you as soon as you cash their measly excuse for a payout.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

trevorrowe wrote:I just got off the phone with my insurance provider. Fortunately I've never filled a claim before and they seem to be treating me very respectfully. They will probably (after I prove I owned all of this stuff) cut me a check for the used/depreciated value of each item. Then they *should* cut me a check for the difference of replacement costs (thats what the claims person said on the phone today).

Stolen gear sucks. Sorry to hear about it. I'm glad your insurance coverage is going to play ball with you on that.

I've said this in prior posts about stolen gear, but it bears repeating... most insurance companies allow for riders or special allocation insurance that lets you put a blanket $$ amount for particular types of "high value" items on car, home, and renter's policies. Most non-divers use that kind of rider for jewelry or silver, but it applies for dive gear too. The premium is nominal given the blanket coverage you get in the event of a total loss (not just from theft, but from fire or natural disaster as well). I would encourage you and any other diver to pursue that kind of coverage for your vehicle and your home. Anyways, in your case, if they're talking about a premium increase, it might be worth it to try and negotiate a policy change in there too.

South Everett... incorporated or unincorporated Everett? I used to work in that area and have a good relationship with several Snohomish Sheriff's officers. Let me know if making a connection with them would be helpful to you.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

i would just like to point out that DAN has Equipment Insurance to https://www.h2oinsurance.com/ i dont know much about and i know or hop most of already have DAN maybe we all need to look in to ther Equipment insurance too
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

ahh man, trev I heard about this on another thread this sucks. and Laura too that is no fun.

as for your rates they shouldn't be terrible I claimed a lot more once and it wasnt bad, I was also a long time customer before so they did make good cash on me. similar incident car, was back when I was dumb about car stereo and put too much stereo in the car ..it was gutted.

I use enumclaw insurance they are local and very good people its a crap shoot with any insurance but just saying.. they are better then safeco.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I would also send Discount Divers a message letting them know to keep a look out. If I was a thief who suddenly got a bunch of gear I need to fence I would google used dive gear dealers or something. When I did that just now,l the first two were:

Discount Divers Supply -
7 reviews - Place page
discountdivers.com - 2520 Westlake Avenue North, Seattle - (206) 298-6998
Dive Commercial International - 1 review - Place page
divecommercial.com - 7058 15th Avenue Northwest, Seattle - (206) 784-5050

Just a thought...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Are there identifying marks on your tanks? This sounds legit, but you might e-mail and ask for a picture.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2313000773.html
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I have my name written on them in black marker (very small) in a certain place. The description given is close but not perfect. My tanks are two years old (almost exactly). I'll contact ask for pictures. Thanks!