Gear Stolen, South Everett

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Gear Stolen, South Everett

Post by trevorrowe »

Not my tanks, just got photos, but they are nice looking, just got the photos. They have different valves/stickers on them.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Dude... That sucks!!! +1 on the alert to Craigslist and it wouldn't hurt to see if Ebay has a similar alert setup... Discount divers too... Good luck on recovery, I'm going to get my gear in from the van now...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Sorry to hear Trevor. Your the last person I expected this to happen to, your always locking up and removing your gear from your truck.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

This is why whenever anyone calls my shop to ask if I buy used gear I ask them to stop by with it ( even though I rairly buy used stuff ) to check it out against the stolen equipment lists I keep on hand. And God help the guy that stops in and trys to sell me my old portable compressor. :pirate:
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I wanted to post a status update about my stolen gear. I have not receive any of my gear back. That said I have had an excellent experience working with my insurance provider.

I have insurance through Geico for auto and renters insurance. The *actual* renters insurance provider is Travelers (I guess geico just bundles/sells their services).

Travelers took a phone statement (recorded) where I listed everything I could identify as stolen from my truck. This was easy as I had filled out a police report the night before over the web with the Everett PD (did I mention I do everything online?). I basically red off the list of items and a brief description of each. Once that was done my claims agent emailed me a spreadsheet to fill out.

I took about a week to fill the silly thing out. I was gathering proof/evidence about everything I had. This took the longest. I contacted manufacturers where I had gear serviced, collected old credit card statements, found photos of me in the gear, etc. As it turns out I did a much more complete of job of this than was needed, but it was my first experience making a claim.

Once I got the list to my claims agent she had it processed in 4 hours, called me back and let me know the amount they were going to cut a check for. At this point my next task was to collect receipts for everything purchased so I could get my second check.

The reimbursement worked off a scale. They provided funds for "fair used market value" for each item, based off its retail replacement cost and age of the item. This equated to 50-85% of the retail value for most of my gear (I've only been diving 3 years, and most of the gear was 1.5 years old or younger). Because I had an endorsement on my policy I was entitled to actual replacement value, up to retail (MSRP) for each item replaced with an equivalent item. The best part about this was it allowed me to upgrade or change manufactures. One example was my transfill whip had a much to short hose for my taste. This meant I could replace it with a different transfill whip. Had I decided to spend the funds instead on a home theatre system though (non-equivilent) I would have only received the used value (as if I had sold it on craigslist).

I have since replaced all my gear. I did a few upgrades (like my camera), the upgraded cost though came out of my pocket, but it was nice for the opportunity.

I'd like to give a few special thanks:

* Jennifer from Travelers, she is awesome in my book.
* Travelers for holding up their end of the insurance process with integrity
* Jeanna for digging out a high res photo of me wearing a lot of my gear
* John Rawlings for getting me back in a weezle so quickly and for such a great deal!
* Corey from Light Monkey for finding a year old service record for my 50 watt hid light and helping me choose my new light

So, I think this nightmare is basically over. I am out my deductible (-$500) but I have some new gear. I got my 2nd check from travelers yesterday, it goes into the bank today.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Nice. Only thing better would be that they catch the dirtbags.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

good to hear!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Wow Trevor, great to hear!

Want to tell us what you got? New light?
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Want to tell us what you got? New light?
I replaced most of the gear with the same stuff except for camera, transfill whip and the light.

The transfill whip I replaced with one of the nice xs scuba ones, same price as the one that was stolen. The camera I upgraded to a S95 with the Fix housing and the wet-mounted wide angle lens. :)

The light I opted for a 21-watt HID instead of the 50. I got the 10amp canister instead of the 20amp. Not as bright, but smaller canister and longer runtime. I also perfer light the color of the 21watt. The best part is with the price difference I got a 2nd 10amp canister with EO cords on the top. This gives me two canisters for the light, or I can run 1 for the light and the 2nd can drive active suit heat (once I get a vest). :extinguishflame: :)

I also forked over a few extra dollars to add a manifold and bands, so the 119s will be doubles now instead of singles. That leaves me with only 1 singles tank. :)
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

trevorrowe wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:Want to tell us what you got? New light?
I replaced most of the gear with the same stuff except for camera, transfill whip and the light.

The transfill whip I replaced with one of the nice xs scuba ones, same price as the one that was stolen. The camera I upgraded to a S95 with the Fix housing and the wet-mounted wide angle lens. :)

The light I opted for a 21-watt HID instead of the 50. I got the 10amp canister instead of the 20amp. Not as bright, but smaller canister and longer runtime. I also perfer light the color of the 21watt. The best part is with the price difference I got a 2nd 10amp canister with EO cords on the top. This gives me two canisters for the light, or I can run 1 for the light and the 2nd can drive active suit heat (once I get a vest). :extinguishflame: :)

I also forked over a few extra dollars to add a manifold and bands, so the 119s will be doubles now instead of singles. That leaves me with only 1 singles tank. :)

Seriously Mods: we need a crack smiley!

Congrats on the new gear Trevor
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

OK, I've been under a rock lately... #1 - Sorry about the theft!!! #2 - really happy that you're up and running now!

Lauri
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

VERY happy to hear this (especially since I have the same insurance).
Kelly
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Glad to here a good report on this. =D> \:D/ Now if only we could find out what sort of bad Ju-Ju, came to those who stole the gear in the first place. I'm sure God is faithful to punish those who do wrong to scuba divers!
:stick: :tappingfoot:
Those dogs will have their day handed to them with a fist full of, :blackblink: :evil4: "You Shouldn't have done that!" [-X
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Wohooo! Glad to hear they took good care of you! Let me know how you like the camera and housing!

(have fun in MAUI, jerk!)
April
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Gear Stolen, South Everett

Post by Rockfish »

Treverrowe,
I was contacted by a police detective friend of mine today because another police agency recovered some stolen scuba gear. I don't know any details. Please PM me your contact info and I will forward to him. It may or may not be yours.
If anyone else has had any gear stolen please PM me your contact info and I will pass it on. Who knows maybe you'll get lucky.

Mike