New Challenges

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

New Challenges

Post by ArcticDiver »

In my prior posts I've talked about my fall early last May and the consequences. Now I'm in my next chapter. I went to Denver for surgery by a well recommended neurosugeon. He did spinal decompression by putting four spacers between vertebrae in my back. Surgery was Tuesday and I was released from hospital yesterday afternoon.

I still have many of the tingling, numbness and other symptoms I had prior to surgery and for the most part am still on crutches. But, today I walked unaided around the living area of the apartment where we are staying. A major improvement. Of course there are still side effects from the surgery itself and the pain medications. Those I will have to learn to deal with.

The surgery was not a guarantee. Even with minimally invasive techniques back surgery is not a high percentage of success procedure. It was a chance to see how much recovery I can obtain. Over the next months to a year I will find out just how much recovery this body is capable of.

So, it looks like the fall was indeed a life changing event, like many accidents. But, I am optimistic that the future will be livable.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Challenges

Post by Penopolypants »

Congratulations on walking around today! Progress is good!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

You have a good attitude, I am sure you will find the best life has to offer, given the injury to your body. You live in an area that truly has a lot of attractive options. I hope you recover most of your ability, and the changes to your life are minimal. Work hard at your recovery, you will be rewarded.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Keep plugging away at the therapy and exercises and all that fun stuff. Took me several months before I felt even halfway back to "normal" from the surgery on my neck. Be patient while being persistent. :-) Sounds like good progress so far, we'll keep fingers crossed it continues!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Great news on the progress! I had 2 surgeries on my spine, one lower back and one neck. it's a long road but it can be done, with outstanding results. Sending healing vibes your way.
Chris.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks everyone for your supporting comments. You may not know how much they mean. But, I tell you they mean a lot.

I'm just back from my first excursion since getting out of the hospital from the L2-S1 decompression surgery. I went to a local mall and walked using my crutches for stability only, not weight carrying. Walked a lot further than I thought I could. Now I'm tired by happy. If this progress keeps up I'm going to come out of this a year from now, that is how long the doc says recovery will take, in good shape.

But I suspect it will be some steps forward followed by some back, I can only hope the number forward is the biggest.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Yesterday I walked three times around the perimeter of a Super Target using a shopping cart for stability support. I also successfully climbed and descended three flights of stairs. Walking unaided and with minor wobble in the apartment. Today I was Tired so just walked enough in the grocery, using a shopping cart, to get supper. Again the stairs. One side is progressing a bit faster than the other. But, either will support most of my weight.

I may be fooling myself but considering that before surgery 12 days ago I could not stand erect without support I'm doing very well. My reality test will be tomorrow when I have my first follow up medical appointment. My hope is that I'll get turned loose to do a bit more aggressive things than walking. Like biking and maybe some weights that will help rebuild strength and muscle mass faster.

What happened to me can happen to nearly anyone. Some a lot worse off than me I have discovered. Maybe my tales will help someone else cope, eh?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

good work, Keep at it and you will see results. The nerves are the slowest to heal and unfortunately exercise won't do much for them so don't push to hard. Try to listen honestly to what your body is saying and working with it not against it. Don't set unreal goals and try to push through the pain. You will only set yourself back if do. I went through 3 back surgeries and a couple of years of recovery so I know what it's like. People kept saying this is what you will have to live with and for a time I thought maybe they were right but I kept going and slowly things began to fall into place. Some of the nerve damage is still there but I am relatively pain free and can pretty much do what anyone else my age can within reason so I feel very lucky when I read all the info on how bad the odds are and such.

It is life changing. There is little doubt about that but it can be handled. You need to live a bit smarter and do things a bit different than you used to but as long as you keep a positive attitude and take your time there is life after the fall. It will be different than it was but change is not always bad.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for the encouragement and the perspective. I'm one of the blessed ones in that although I've had a fair amount of trauma over the years from the things I do this is the first where healing has an unknown definition. I may not get it all back with a lot of work. Your perspective is Very Helpful.

Based on your experience how does this sound? Assuming I get clearance this afternoon, start some weights and biking to build strength and muscle mass. No big numbers, just enough to feel it. Keep on walking. The idea is to improve blood flow, to improve the body's stability, to maybe get off crutches before I travel next. I have no intent to push it any harder than mild athletic muscle pain. The goal is to be as far as I can be when the three month checkup comes without causing new problems, especially since this was done due to my fitness and good health to avoid spine fusion.

Keep up the good advise.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Water aerobics is great! builds muscle and endurance without impact. Exercise bike is good but not so regular biking due to hi impact and poor posture on a real bike. Walking is good, no running. Stair climbers are very good and low impact. Since the back is simply adjusted and not reinforced it is important at least for awhile to make sure your exercise is low impact and doesn't jar or over extend the vertebra and cause more trauma. I think canoeing, kayaking (not white water), or rowing machine would be good. You would need to be very careful with weights and chose your program very carefully as free weights can do allot of harm if not done properly. I would advise consulting a physical therapist or personal trainer experienced in back injuries if you feel you need to do weights. The machines in clubs are good for building strength but free weights are not good. Check with your insurance provider. Medicare provides low cost memberships at allot of clubs like YMCA and others.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Wow. Dusty were you reading from the PA's script. I just left his office a couple hours ago. He laid out the parameters I needed to follow until 8-12 weeks post-surgery. I pick 12 weeks which will put me at mid-October.

The keys to the parameters are: No flexing greater than 45 degrees. Minimize stress on the spine by no squats, only upright bikes, keep the weight down and for upper body isolate using a preacher bench, etc. Certainly no carrying heavy dive gear. But, I do need to exercise vigorously to rebuild muscle and strength after the atrophy from the past months. And try to avoid accidents.

Starting the first of next week I'll have a pool available and a decent selection of exercise machines. I plan to take full advantage of them.

When I get home I'll have access to both PT and a Master's degree level personal trainer. They will keep me on the straight and narrow.

Information from folks like you is invaluable in a time like this.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Sounds like great progress, A.D. :partydance:

Dusty, a question for you since you mentioned back problems... And it may turn out useful for ArcticDiver too, if it's not stuff he already knows... How do you end up dealing with the weight of the dive gear? ? After every dive session I have done (with one exception), a few hours after getting out of the water my right shoulder and neck are just throbbing and remain sore for 4-5 days. It's very similar to the pain I was getting last fall, that forced me into surgery to relieve pressure on the nerves feeding that arm. It's bad enough that I'm looking at a choice of finding someway to avoid the pain-causing weight, or having to give up on the diving I just got hooked on... Because I *really really really* want to avoid getting sharp objects near my spinal cord again...

The one dive I did not get this pain was the club dive down at Redondo Beach. There are two factors I think were responsible, but I don't have a clue which is more of a contributor... First is, I only ended up doing one dive that day, so less time bearing weight back & forth. Second is, instead of a vest/jacket style BCD with the integrated weights, I dove with one of LCF's stainless backplate/wing rigs she let me try out. The web harnessing on that rig was sized for one of their youth students, and just barely had enough length to get onto my (definitely not youthful!) body... The weight of tanks and BP ended up being supported mostly on the hips, along with a weight belt. The amount of weight on the shoulders was quite a bit less than with other BCDs I had tried out.

So, I am curious what kinds of things you do to take care of your back with all this "stuff" we have to get down to the water? Harnesses, BCs, sidemounts? Getting a servant to lug your stuff down to the beach? Inquiring minds want to know! :smt064

Jim
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The servant is a great idea! Scuba Sherpa!!! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

OK, I do go through the neck and shoulder pain you mention and some days it can be more than I can bear. In my case it is due to arthritis in my neck. That one is aleve and thermalcare hot packs.

I think getting a properly fitted back pack/wing should be #1 in your case and getting it adjusted so that the weight is on your hips not your shoulders and so your back is supported well. This is why a large portion of the folks up here use them instead of the jacket BC's. Along with this gear up as close to entry as possible and avoid entries with poor footing like the plague. Also try to get your setup for gearing up at hip height so you don't have to pull yourself up with all that weight The side mount rig might be just the ticket because you don't have to bear the weight of the tank at all if you put it on in the water. Also footwear should support your ankles to help stabilize you. I advise rock boots rather than the slip-ons.

I usually only do one dive. The more tired you get the higher the risk of trauma which you will pay for later. Of course all the things that they teach you in back class should be adhered to religiously. Lift with your legs not your back don't bend over when picking things up, don't twist your torso when under load ect. You really have to make it a full time life style. Do back and core strengthening exercise regularly and always think before you do anything that might put a strain on your back. All of this is good advise for everyone not just someone experiencing symptoms. Look online, I'm sure there should be some of those training films available. Just lift smart. Use your brain not your brawn.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for the insights Dusty. I was wondering how I was going to dive when my rehab is complete. I'm hopeful I will get to dive again, at least in warm water. Both of your comments(Dusty & RoxnDox) give me hope even though my surgery was radically different than yours.

Side note: Not to get too giddy about my progress; I graduated from crutches to a hiking staff(substitute for a cane) today, Post Surgery Day 15.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:supz:

Actually you had pretty much the same thing as my first 2 surgeries, L4/5 S1 sad to say that they just didn't do the trick and I ended up having fusion surgery but it worked like a champ. It took a couple of years for the nerves to recover as much as they have but it has done well since. Just remember you need to adjust your way of life to care for your back. It may be improved but it will never be as good as new.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Thanks Dusty, appreciate it... AD great news!

Jim
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Yeah, pretty similar I guess. Mine is L2-S1 so a couple more vertebrae involved. I'm told if the plastic fails I get a lot of rods and screws. With that number of vertebrae I bet that would be a major stiff back, eh?

Just was out doing some business using only a hiking staff as a cane. Legs are tired but getting along.

You guys diving makes my day. At the same time I need to make a note to ask what kind of weights I can handle now that the spinous processes are weight bearing. I suspect I will have permanent weight limits. That is fine as long as I know what the limits are. As far as flexibility and neurological precautions are concerned, I'm told that once healed there are no limits.

But...knowiing you and others have coped before me makes me a lot more comfortable with my challenges.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

My back is paying the penalty for my spec ops days. I've been lucky to avoid the knife, but religious use of a Peak Pilates Program, following the exercises by Robin McKenzie, active hydration, and an inversion table. Oh, also a very good deep tissue massage therapist. I mean DEEP, like you'll cry Momma!

3 years ago, was losing the use of my left leg, tried a cortisone injection, helped for about 6 months, tried another, was good for a week.

Thats when I took it upon myself, and I've been good ever since. I do wear a back brace 24x7 (Saunders Work S'Port) and found this nice Maxar neoprene back support for diving..

If you cant do inversion, there is a nice system called "NuBax" that stretches the lower back without the inversion.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.