9mm composite?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: 9mm composite?

Post by Sounder »

Raydar wrote:If'n all you want to do is shoot, just get a .22. You can shoot all day for $20.

We put several hundred rounds though my Buckmark and .22 1911 last night.
Ray... you know better than to get a .22 instead of a 9mm. The proper thing to do is to GET BOTH!!! :partydance:

RJ - I think the G-19 is probably the best solution for you and Mel. I completely agree with Ben. You're welcome to try all three (17, 19, and 26) when we get together.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: 9mm composite?

Post by ktb »

scottsax wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Does anyone want to join me in Everett for a rent & shoot day in late August?
I'm in.
I'd be interested!
Kelly
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:I have modestly big hands for my weight/height, Melody has tiny hands.
You might want to look into the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. It has some good features such as a "Loaded Chamber Indicator" which allows you to see if the gun is loaded without looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger, and an "Interchangeable Grip Back Strap" which allows you to put different size grips on the Pistol for people with Large, Medium or Small hands.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Pez7378 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: "Interchangeable Grip Back Strap" which allows you to put different size grips on the Pistol for people with Large, Medium or Small hands.
I do like my friend's M&P in 9mm and the grip is very easy to change. That might be a good compromise if you are looking for something that you can both comfortably shoot.

Ammo costs can add up in a hurry so if your interest is really limited to pinking I would seriously consider pistols in .22 or with easy conversions to .22.

I didn't realize I had so many diving friends that enjoy things that go Bang! I haven't been shooting since my eye surgery but I would be in for a trip up to Sam's and can probably raid my friend's gun safe for a few pistols.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pez7378 wrote:It has some good features such as a "Loaded Chamber Indicator" which allows you to see if the gun is loaded without looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger

It's about freaking time! I'm so tired of sticking my eyeball up against the barrel and pulling the trigger every time I want to make sure my gun is safe! I kept thinking "there has GOT to be a better way to do this!" And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I am a big fan of HK's. Any caliber will work, if you have good shot placement. Practice with your weapon is your best bet no matter the caliber.

I have a 9mm USP 2000 compact. Excellent pistol, fully ambidextrous and it shoots well. I also have a .40 cal UPS full size that I carry in the woods when hiking or hunting. I have dragged that pistol (although in .45 cal) through surf sand and mud on several continents and never had an issue.

Glocks are wonderful pistols. I could hit the broad side of a barn with one, but that is because I am can't get used to the grip angle. Some of them have interchangeable barrels so you can bounce between 9 and 40.

My main carry pistol is a .45 caliber Springfield.

If all you are going to do is shoot, go with 9mm, its cheaper.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

If all you want to do is kill some paper at the range get a 9 and shoot it all day long. At $9.50 a box its cheap , especially compared to .45. When I want a bigger bang I love.my .357, also helps to be able to shoot .38s out of the same gun too.

Oh as far as the .45 vs blah blah blah , I would rather have shot placement, than a S&W 500 revolver.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Another 2 cents from me. Even if the gun/rifle has a "loaded gun window" feature, I still don't trust that feature. Just me. This I say, never will I peek through the barrel to see if the gun is loaded. Never done that and never will. With that said, for me, to satisfy my question whether the gun is loaded or not, I simply pull the slide less than half an inch (if it's a pistol) and see if there is "brass" loaded in the chamber. If it's a revolver, it's as simple as unlocking and checking the chambers. Even if the company claims it's "fool proof", I just don't trust that claim. There is no substitute for a manual eye check in the chamber itself, I repeat - not through the end of the barrel. Now, for a rifle, it's a long story and I won't even try to explain it here since we're only talking handguns.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I figured since every trigger happy diver is going to chime in on this thread, I'm looking for a hunting buddy come hunting season. My hunting buddies have grown old to hunt, and others relocated to California. My only remaining buddy is my 21 year old son, who unfortunately is also very busy with work and college.
Attachments
Nailed this beast in '03, opening day in the Olympic Peninsula, using a Winchester.300 WM
Nailed this beast in '03, opening day in the Olympic Peninsula, using a Winchester.300 WM
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Joshua Smith wrote:And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber!
Well, there's a new sig line!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

coulterboy wrote:I figured since every trigger happy diver is going to chime in on this thread, I'm looking for a hunting buddy come hunting season. My hunting buddies have grown old to hunt, and others relocated to California. My only remaining buddy is my 21 year old son, who unfortunately is also very busy with work and college.
I've never hunted, but I like learning and experiencing new stuff.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

coulterboy wrote:This I say, never will I peek through the barrel to see if the gun is loaded.
Just in case anyone was concerned, Pez was just kidding. In real life he's a professional combat pistol instructor. Seriously.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Blitz wrote:Glocks are wonderful pistols. I could hit the broad side of a barn with one, but that is because I am can't get used to the grip angle.
Have you tried a CZ-75 or variant? The ergonomics are better than anything else I've ever shot. The internals are a bit gritty out of the box, but with a bit of sweat equity it's as smooth as a High Power and a TRUE da/sa.

The only reason I didn't recommend them to Richard is they've had some issues with their polymer model (and I think the Glock has more robust internals).
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Sounder,

It would be my pleasure to take you to another adventure in the woods.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

coulterboy wrote:Sounder,

Que creepy banjo music . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

dsteding wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Hahaha! That's why I love this group!
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

coulterboy wrote:Another 2 cents from me. Even if the gun/rifle has a "loaded gun window" feature, I still don't trust that feature. Just me. This I say, never will I peek through the barrel to see if the gun is loaded. Never done that and never will. With that said, for me, to satisfy my question whether the gun is loaded or not, I simply pull the slide less than half an inch (if it's a pistol) and see if there is "brass" loaded in the chamber. If it's a revolver, it's as simple as unlocking and checking the chambers. Even if the company claims it's "fool proof", I just don't trust that claim. There is no substitute for a manual eye check in the chamber itself, I repeat - not through the end of the barrel. Now, for a rifle, it's a long story and I won't even try to explain it here since we're only talking handguns.
It's amazing how many unloaded guns shoot people. In fact, another one shot some guy in the groin yesterday in Kent.

Always remember the 4 rules.
Purveyor of crack ;)
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Ouch! He learned his lesson the hard way.

When you go to a gun store and ask the sales associate to see a gun/rifle, what do they do first? Duh! They check the chamber first (whatever gun it is) and make sure the gun isn't loaded, then they hand it to you. That's one part of the rule.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I'm still laughing at Josh! The mere thought of him fainting and wetting himself has me in hysterics!!
Raydar wrote:Always remember the 4 rules.
All guns are always loaded
Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to shoot or destroy (Especially your CROTCH!!)
Keep your finger off of the trigger INDEXED until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire
Know your target and backstop beyond

Although a Loaded Chamber Indicator is useful, and press checks work for skilled operators, nothing replaces this simple safety procedure: While pointing your gun at a clearing box or barrel, or other safe direction, keep your finger out of the trigger guard (INDEXED) and remove the magazine. Lock the slide to the rear. VISUALLY and PHYSICALLY inspect the chamber for ammunition.

Anyone wanna go CAMPING?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Chris,

It couldn't have been said and outlined any better than what you just pointed out.

Now, about camping. Hmmmmmm!!!!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Powder, Patch, Ball is how I roll... But I do kinda miss playin' with these new-fangled cartridge guns...

Now... Someone said "Campin'?" :eek:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:

We's huntin' buddies...
airsix wrote:
Blitz wrote:Glocks are wonderful pistols. I could hit the broad side of a barn with one, but that is because I am can't get used to the grip angle.
Have you tried a CZ-75 or variant? The ergonomics are better than anything else I've ever shot. The internals are a bit gritty out of the box, but with a bit of sweat equity it's as smooth as a High Power and a TRUE da/sa.

The only reason I didn't recommend them to Richard is they've had some issues with their polymer model (and I think the Glock has more robust internals).
[/quote]

HK P7M8... best shooting pistol I've never shot.
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Pez7378 wrote:I'm still laughing at Josh! The mere thought of him fainting and wetting himself has me in hysterics!!
Raydar wrote:Always remember the 4 rules.
All guns are always loaded
Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to shoot or destroy (Especially your CROTCH!!)
Keep your finger off of the trigger INDEXED until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire
Know your target and backstop beyond
Also once you pull the trigger you own that bullet until it comes to a full and complete stop. (#4.1)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I have a 5th rule: when your buddy, who you've known and trusted for years, hands you a gun and tells you its unloaded, remember rule #1 and check the Damn thing yourself.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."