9mm composite?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: 9mm composite?

Post by Marc »

Anyone that doesn't follow basic safety rules around firearms deserves a visit from Darwin.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Blitz wrote:Anyone that doesn't follow basic safety rules around firearms deserves a visit from Darwin.
Very unfortunately more often than not that person gets to carry on with their lifer.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 41 22cal target pistol. It's fun and cheap to shoot and extremely accurate. It shoots tighter than any pistol I have ever shot and fits my hand like it was custom made. Not composite but for plinking and steel targets it is awesome. :joshsmith:

Ruger also makes an awesome 22 target auto. The Ruger Mark 3 but neither of these are what I would call budget models
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Blitz wrote:Anyone that doesn't follow basic safety rules around firearms deserves a visit from Darwin.
Agreed, but unfortunately, many of those who think they've got the most experience with firearms tend to have the most negligent discharges. There are many videos like this one, He says something to the effect of "I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock .40....."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU[/youtube]
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

there is a range in Bellevue..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Dusty2 wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson Model 41 22cal target pistol. It's fun and cheap to shoot and extremely accurate. It shoots tighter than any pistol I have ever shot and fits my hand like it was custom made. Not composite but for plinking and steel targets it is awesome. :joshsmith:

Ruger also makes an awesome 22 target auto. The Ruger Mark 3 but neither of these are what I would call budget models
A S&W 41 is on my short list. Cash and opportunity have never met.

Just picked up another Buckmark on Friday. I like them as well.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Dusty2 wrote:I have a Smith & Wesson Model 41 22cal target pistol. It's fun and cheap to shoot and extremely accurate. It shoots tighter than any pistol I have ever shot and fits my hand like it was custom made. Not composite but for plinking and steel targets it is awesome. :joshsmith:

My wife has a ruger mk lll hunter model, great gun and accurate. And the thing is really heavy, over a pound more then my .357
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Just curious, why composite? I've had both, and I like them all, but I think there may be an accuracy advantage with an all steel pistol. The Sig Sauers are very nice, I had a beretta that I really liked, and shot well.
I have a USP40 that I would be happy to let you give a go. I can't squeeze the accuracy out of it that I could with other pistols, but I can put any kind of ammo through it without a jam, which is a good thing.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

nwbobber wrote:Just curious, why composite? I've had both, and I like them all, but...
I think that's a legitimate question. If I try to list off all the advantages of a polymer frame they all seem to be related to ease of carry, extreme conditions, and rough handling. Target/plinking pistols on the other hand tend to lead a privileged existence where they are carried to and fro in a padded velvet case, cleaned regularly, never dropped in the mud/sand, and never pressed against a sweaty hip for days at a time. I can't really think of any reasons poly would be a stand-out for a target gun. I wouldn't disqualify it, but I wouldn't make it a selection requirement. Poly frame pistols do have their downsides. Lighter = more felt recoil. That would be a pretty good reason to NOT consider it for a target pistol.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

We use Bullseye in Tacoma and they have a very good selection of rentals. But if you bring your own ammo, you have to pay an extra $5 for the range fee. My wife loves her 9mm Springfield XD and it groups very well. However, because of the light weight of the composite, it kicks like my 45.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: 9mm composite?

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:pressed against a sweaty hip for days at a time.
Am I the only one getting turned on by this? I wouldn't mind being carried to and fro in a velvet lined case or being cleaned regularly, either......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Am I the only one getting turned on by this?
Yes.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Am I the only one getting turned on by this?
Yes.

No.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
Agreed, but unfortunately, many of those who think they've got the most experience with firearms tend to have the most negligent discharges. There are many videos like this one, He says something to the effect of "I'm the only one in this room professional enough that I know of to carry this Glock .40....."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU[/youtube]
I was going to post this video too! One of the worst misconceptions about gun handling is that law enforcement officers are firearms experts... there are exceptions to the rule, but generally most cops only fire the 25-50 rounds per year necessary to qualify.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Sounder wrote: I was going to post this video too! One of the worst misconceptions about gun handling is that law enforcement officers are firearms experts... there are exceptions to the rule, but generally most cops only fire the 25-50 rounds per year necessary to qualify.
That tells you just how low the bar is set. ;)
Purveyor of crack ;)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
nwbobber wrote:Target/plinking pistols on the other hand tend to lead a privileged existence where they are carried to and fro in a padded velvet case, cleaned regularly, never dropped in the mud/sand, and never pressed against a sweaty hip for days at a time.
Have you ever seen me clean & baby my dive gear?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.