Port Townsed still holds treasure!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Port Townsed still holds treasure!

Post by Dusty2 »

While I critter hunt my dive buddy looks for old bottles and yes still finds them. Here is a recent treasure pulled from the depths.
It is a mid 1800's gin bottle from AvanHoboken & co. Rotterdam. It is a large size about 4 1/2" square at the top and about 12" tall. It is an unusual design with it's short neck and hand applied lip and recessed bottom. Other than the normal sandblasting it is perfect.
1870 Hoboken Gin1.JPG
1870 Hoboken Gin2.JPG
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Port Townsed still holds treasure!

Post by Joshua Smith »

That is an extremely cool bottle. Very nice find.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

woah, thats a very cool find!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Yes nice. Now what does the bottle tell us about where it was found, the other artifacts around it and who deposited it? Oh that's right we will never know because it has been removed and disassociated from the context in which it was deposited. Thank you for taking our collective history home.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

selkie wrote:Yes nice. Now what does the bottle tell us about where it was found, the other artifacts around it and who deposited it? Oh that's right we will never know because it has been removed and disassociated from the context in which it was deposited. Thank you for taking our collective history home.
:police:

:popcorn:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

selkie wrote:Yes nice. Now what does the bottle tell us about where it was found, the other artifacts around it and who deposited it? Oh that's right we will never know because it has been removed and disassociated from the context in which it was deposited. Thank you for taking our collective history home.
Huh?

It's a bottle, not a shipwreck that is being looted.

He should have laid out a grid, called the archaeological society, and commenced vacuuming sand?

I'm all about archaeology, preserving sites, etc. but this doesn't seem to be an applicable case.

I think your post is a bit of an overreaction.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Tom Nic wrote:
Huh?

He should have laid out a grid, called the archaeological society, and commenced vacuuming sand?

I'm all about archaeology, preserving sites, etc. but this doesn't seem to be an applicable case.

My apologies Tom I did not mean to over react. However a bottle can be much more that a bottle. of course now it is just a bottle.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I can tell you all you need to know about that bottle ...

About 150 years ago, some fur trapper dude got drunk and tossed the empty bottle over the side of his canoe. It's been laying there ever since.

The end ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:
selkie wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:
Huh?

My apologies Tom I did not mean to over react. However a bottle can be much more that a bottle. of course now it is just a bottle.
No apology necessary, your post was expressed appropriately - it wasn't out of line from my standpoint as a mod. I just don't get the concern with picking up a bottle in a current swept area known for bottles - this is not an actual or potential archaeological site.

This isn't picking artifacts off a known wreck or site.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

If you have a story to tell or other concerns, please tell the story - it is welcome. This just doesn't seem to be a looting situation.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Unfortunately in those days our waters especially near towns were considered prime dumping sites, not that some people don't still feel the same today. There are hundreds of thousands of these pieces of our past on the bottom of every body of water in the known world. They were trash then and they still are. There is no historical significance in these castaways. Bottles many times this old are commonly found on the east coast every day. Just look on ebay. As stated if they were part of a wreck site or historical site that might be different but I hardly consider the bottom of Townsend bay a site of historical significance.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Maybe we should be calling the Historical Society every time someone sees something interesting on the bottom. Then they can close the site to diving until they send an archeological team out to investigate ... possibly find an old bone and declare it a First Nations gravesite and make the site permanently off-limits.

First off ... how would you even know what you've found until you bring it up, clean it, and identify it? Just because a bottle looks interesting doesn't mean it has any historical value.

I'm just not seeing the reason for an objection here ... it ain't like they looted a wreck or grave or something.

What's next ... a "Save the Crabs" campaign?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Methinks it was likely donated to Townsend Bay by a drunken sailor on one of these ships...

We have yet to find a shipwreck from that era in Townsend Bay -- but we'll keep looking. Come with us!

Until then, we love finding these kind of things and sharing them with everyone. It enriches our knowledge and appreciation of the local history, as well as making the diving fun.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Grateful Diver wrote:
What's next ... a "Save the Crabs" campaign?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Shhhh! lets not give anyone ideas. :eek:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I love bottle hunting.. !! Its the shizzle.. Bassman got me hooked up in alaska.. Shaaaweet find there
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'm just sad there's no Gin left. :queenliz:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If there was it wouldn't have been on the bottom. :neener:
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

H20doctor wrote:I love bottle hunting.. !! Its the shizzle.. Bassman got me hooked up in alaska.. Shaaaweet find there
You need to stop cavorting with that Bassman character. He's been know to disturb other objects of historic significance. Image
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Seriously....it's a bottle. People in the past thought it was trash (as we can see by the fact it was tossed into the water) and most people today think it's trash. Your trained as Historical Archaeologist from what your profile says, you of all people should know that its not a shipwreck and it's obviously not of "historical significance" seeing that there have been no archaeological dives at this site the last time I looked. The only thing this bottle proves is that this spot was treated as a dumping ground and people in the past drank gin.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

No, it also proves that someone will object to anything.... No matter what it is.. I found an arrow head when I was a kid.. still have it if you want, I'll let you know what nation I robbed it from
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Port Townsed still holds treasure!

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:I can tell you all you need to know about that bottle ...

About 150 years ago, some fur trapper dude got drunk and tossed the empty bottle over the side of his canoe. It's been laying there ever since.

The end ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was picturing some bored sailor, stuck on watch while his buddies painted Port Townsend various colors with their body fluids. But either version works for me.

The insinuation that removing this bottle from the bottom is harmful in some way is ridiculous in the extreme, IMO. What could be gleaned from noting that it was near a dead crab, a Budweiser can, and an old car battery is beyond me. Of course, I never finished college.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:

The end ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was picturing some bored sailor, stuck on watch while his buddies painted Port Townsend various colors with their body fluids. But either version works for me.

The insinuation that removing this bottle from the bottom is ridiculous in the extreme, IMO. What could be gleaned from noting that it was near a dead crab, a Budweiser can, and an old car battery is beyond me. Of course, I never finished college.
I think that is much closer to the truth Josh. "What will we do with the drunken sailor?" HAR! :pirate:
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Dusty2 wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

The end ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The insinuation that removing this bottle from the bottom is ridiculous in the extreme, IMO. What could be gleaned from noting that it was near a dead crab, a Budweiser can, and an old car battery is beyond me. Of course, I never finished college.
I think that is much closer to the truth Josh. "What will we do with the drunken sailor?" HAR! :pirate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfEGFHs3UQ[/youtube]
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

As a practicing archaeologist with an interest in the maritime history of Townsend Bay and other coastal areas along Puget Sound I have been following this thread and I can honestly say that I've had serious reservations about posting a response. There are very few professional archaeologists or government officials in Washington State who are paying any attention to these resources, let alone treating them with the respect or consideration before proceeding with projects that have the potential to irreparably harm them, so I appreciate the interest that I'm seeing from people who have posted so far. There are two things that I would like add to this discussion:

1) While bottle scatters were considered trash when they were created, they can yield some very important information about associated features such as piers or wharves, or at a larger scale about a historical landscape (such as a harbor) and they are a finite resource - they're not making any more of them so when they're gone, they are gone.

2) When I find a diagnostic artifact, such as an intact bottle with a maker's mark in a submerged context, I prefer to photograph the features, record it's position and leave it where I found it. However, Bob makes a good point, sometimes you cannot tell how old something is without taking it to the surface, or the conditions do not permit full recording of an object. In that case, it is common practice to record enough information to be able to return the object to where it was located.

In general though I think Bob's fears are a little overblown; I do not agree that an archaeologist's involvement will mean banning diving at a site where significant resources are found and that this fear should be used as a justification for divers not sharing information about what they find and where they found it. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only submerged historical sites in Washington State that were accessible to divers that have been closed were done so in the interests of port security and not because divers were collecting bottles or other artifacts. I've consulted on several shoreline projects in Puget Sound where there were issues with submerged historical resources and often our best sources of firsthand information are the local divers. In the future, there will undoubtedly be projects along the Townsend Bay shoreline that will have the potential to impact submerged historical resources and the information that you obtain during your dives can be a significant contribution to preserving local maritime history. If you collect bottles or other historical objects, please keep a record of where you found them and ensure that this information is not lost when you pass on. In addition, I've read too many stories about divers finding historical objects that have been preserved at depth for tens or hundreds of years and bringing them to the surface only to watch them decompose or be destroyed through careless handling/shipping, so please take care of what you find. Your grandchildren and future generations may thank you for it.

If anyone would like to discuss this in person at a dive or over a beer, feel free to PM me. Thank you.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for adding to the discussion.