Birthday gift for my 21 year old son

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I'm probably going to get a lot of flack, more so than supporters on this. But what the hell, I just need opinions.

My son just turned 21 and I plan to buy him a handgun tomorrow. He knows this already so it's not a surprise. I don't need any suggestions in what kind of gun, caliber, etc. cause I'm very well versed on this. I just want to know if I share the same sentiment (within reason) giving him a gun as his 21st B-day gift as a "right of passage" being a man.

Brief intro of my son: He is a very responsible person. Started hunting with me when he was 7 years old. Very much exposed to guns and rifles all his life. Good circle of friends. Very even keeled temperament. Finishing up his associates degree this semester. 3rd degree black belt in Shimpu-Ren Karate (this alone, in the eyes of a judge, constitutes as a deadly weapon), I know that, cause I'm a 4th degree black belt myself in Shimpu-Ren Karate. He just started Jiu-Jitsu and has been in many tournaments in karate and grappling. Goes to church.

Are there any parents that would do the same thing I'm about to do tomorrow?

Your thoughts. This wouldn't change my mind cause I'm 100% dedicated in buying him one. Just wanna know if I'm an exception (as a father) or not.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Birthday gift for my 21 year old son

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, I'd do it. That's a very cool birthday gift.

(Disclaimer- I'm also not famous for my good judgement or making sound decisions. As evidenced by my "career" and my favorite diving equipment, not to mention my prefered dive profiles and buddies. Nor am I a parent.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sounds like a awesome gift, what are you going to get him?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

I think it is great I would do the same thing.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

Great gift Coulterboy. Have you thought about including a professional course of instruction to go along with it? There are several well-respected ones available in the local area; if he is an out-of-towner, there are most likely courses available in his area. I intend to "gift" the same to my daughters.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I would do this ( and have done it). I think we are exceptions, or maybe exceptional. What a clear way of saying to your son that you think he has become a responsible adult. I think that it is a smaller portion of the population that enjoys the shooting sports, though, and that puts us in a minority of folks who would think of this for a coming of age gift.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Burntchef wrote:sounds like a awesome gift, what are you going to get him?
I was going to get him an HK USP 40 (i have one and he has shot hundreds of round with it), but he has a friend that has a Ruger SR40 and he really likes how it shoots and the grip. Ultimately, it's his gun and I want to get one that fits him and shoots well for him, and one he likes of his choosing. We also looked at SW, Glocks, XD's, etc. But he seems to be sticking to what he likes. I kinda like his idea cause it's cheap. Hahaha! No joke here. It's a gun. But from my recommendation with HK down to Ruger SR40, that's a big difference in $$$$.

Thanks for all your comments. Though, there's probably more that would chime in on this. I appreciate everybody's .02 cents.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

kagey747 wrote:Great gift Coulterboy. Have you thought about including a professional course of instruction to go along with it? There are several well-respected ones available in the local area; if he is an out-of-towner, there are most likely courses available in his area. I intend to "gift" the same to my daughters.
He lives in Olympia, and yes, he will be getting a course. He knows the 4 Golden Rules of handling a gun. He has taken Hunter's Safety Course (an extensive one in California), and has hunted with me countless times. The kid doesn't even flinch shooting a 300 WM.

Anyway, there's never a harm in taking more safety courses that would enhance skills.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Being old and an ex army vet I think it's an awesome gift. Sure you'll probably ruffle some feathers with the new gen types but from what I know about the members of this board you won't get much flack from here.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Great gift, but we got both our boys there first tattoo when they turned 18.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

My folks did exactly that for both my brother and I. When my brother turned 21, my wife and I got him the "General Defensive Handgun" course through Insights (http://insightstraining.com/view_course ... urseID=146). He also went to the courthouse on his 21st birthday and applied for his CPL that day.

For the right person, I think it's a wonderful gift... and now you can give the gift of ammo so he keeps fresh and current with it.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Are you getting him a lockbox too?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great gift!

But what makes it most meaningful is the shared connection between the two of you. Everything about the gift and the process that enhances that process is where I would put the focus and emphasis.

My .02 psi's worth.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Linedog wrote:Great gift, but we got both our boys there first tattoo when they turned 18.
My son got it when he was 16. In the tattoo artist's house. Cause I think, you gotta be 18 to go to a tattoo parlor to get a tattoo. Another memorable moment for him and I, cause I was beside him and the artist from start to finish. He got a "Life" tattoo on his left chest.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

renoun wrote:Are you getting him a lockbox too?
Yes, that will have to be purchased too.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

All 3 of us have the same tattoo, we were with them start to finish also.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Sounder wrote:.... He also went...and applied for his CPL...
+1 for this.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I don't have kids, but you know your son and if he's a responsible man, it sounds like a great gift.

I have the USP 9mm, and it is a great piece. I'm sure the .40 is even better, especially one that's a decade more modern than my old nine!

Getting SERVICE for HKs is a pain in the butt though, at least it used to be... If you can find a domestic that you like as well, you're saving yourself some potential trouble down the road.

That all said, I've never cared for Ruger semiautos but their wheelguns are great. :)
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

I’ve given several firearms to both my kids for various birthdays and have bought and built guitars for them too. Point is – you’re sharing a common interest with them and building a bond. IMHO, it’s a good idea regardless whether it’s a gun or a guitar.
Cheers!

Ron
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

My father gave me my first firearm on my 10th birthday. In turn I gave my son his first firearm but a bit later in his life.

Neither where we live nor where our son lived required any special permit to carry concealed so that wasn't an issue. But, both my father and I were positive the recipient was fully familiar with all aspects of firearms responsibility.

Bottom line to me is that firearms and their responsible use is an integral part of our lives. Passing on that heritage is a responsibility of each parent. That heritage of responsibility and realistic appraisal of life, to me, is essential in creating good citizens who can wisely deal with the future.

I guess that tells you what I think about what you are doing.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Mission Accomplished! Went to the store and bought the gun today (under his name and everything). I just had to pay for it. He was so happy and almost in tears for the gesture. He will pick it up in about 5 days.

Thank you all so much for the positive comments about this thread. I never doubted myself that I was doing the wrong thing.

Now let's go diving! Actually, I was at EUP this morning for one dive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good On You!

And, yes, I'm working on that.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Awesome!
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Great present.

I've got several guns that my dad have me while growing up. I think I was 12 when I got my 20ga single shot, 15-16 when I graduated to a 12ga pump, and a .22 pistol at 18.

While I treasure the guns, I value the memories more. And look forward to passing the tradition on to my girls.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Raydar wrote: While I treasure the guns, I value the memories more. And look forward to passing the tradition on to my girls.
Well said!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman