A Sassy subject

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

A Sassy subject

Post by pogiguy05 »

We had been thinking of getting a dog for some time. This past Sunday we went to visit the Seattle Humane Society and adopted a cute little girl 2 months old. She is a CHI MIX and they say with a larger unknown breed. She already weighs 8lbs at 2 months which is an adult size Chihuahua, so who knows how big she will be.

Well I guess I should have said that her name is SASSY...... :rofl: stupid human :nutty:
Attachments
DSC02913(1).JPG
DSC02898.JPG
Jeff Castor
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Re: A Sassy subject

Post by Fishstiq »

Awesome!! Congrats on the new member of the family!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

When are you going to teach Sassy how to boogie board or surf? It's about time!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

That's a cute puppy! I've always had this morbid curiosity about seeing an 8 lb dog get it on with an 80 lb dog. There are a lot of Chihuahua mixes out there!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Unfortunately our little Sassy has some bad luck and she got sick on day 2 with us. She is staying over night at the VET to get IV antibiotics and they will also do some tests to see what the infection might be. Tuesday she had a temp of 105, a cough,eye discharge. Today we went in to follow up and she had a temp of 104 and was coughing and they wanted to keep her. She had not been eating or drinking well the last two days so I am sure a very good idea.

IT is amazing how fast they can grow on you in a short time.We are hoping it is not distemper but we will know more tomorrow. :nervous:
Jeff Castor
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

any word?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

kat wrote:any word?
Yeh she definitely has a little pneumonia in her left lung. She is on a couple antibiotics and rest, that is if a 2 month old puppy can rest. Vet said even if I have to put her in a crate so she rests. They still not sure about canine distemper since she was picked up as a stray in Yakima. Only time will tell as she has only had the first distemper vaccination on the 28th of sept. She spent the past 24 hours at the vets on IV fluids. She is not to interested in eating or drinking right now but with some advice from the vet I got some low sodium chicken broth and diluted it and also some pediasure to try and get her to drink somthing. Vet said she is a little dog so she willnot drink as much as a LAB would. I can get her to drink a little out of my hand for now and she eats just a little of her canned dog food.

Thanks you for showing your concern as this is our (MY) first puppy and I am your kinda big softy guy worried.

Funny thing is the wife thought it would be great to get our son a dog he is 10yo. I was really not to interested cause I do know it takes alot to care for them. However, as I figured I am Sassy's main caregiver and go out in the night to go potty with her. She has definitely grown on me in a short time and I look forward to many years of her being part of our family.

I am still curious as to how big she will get when all I know is she is a chihuaha/mix with a larger breed. 8lbs already a 2 months so we will see how big she gets. :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Kudos to you and your family for taking a dog from a shelter! Something I believe strongly in! Hopefully she gets all better soon.
Dave Mitchell
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I find myself surpisingly attached to this story now. Please update us.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I hope she is doing better. Sick puppies are so heart-breaking. One of our new pups got a urinary tract infection a few weeks ago and went from a whirling dervish to a lump for a couple of days. It was so hard to watch.
As far as size goes, when they hit 4 months, they are about half the size they'll end up as adults. Our pups just hit 20 lbs at almost 4 months so I'm hoping for at least a 40 lb dog.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy too. It's so heartbreaking to see when they're so little and don't know what's going on.

Baby food (especially ham in gravy, beef in gravy, etc.) as well as canned salmon are also tasty temptations to dogs with a low appetite.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sorry things aren't going so well with your new friend. Going to the shelter is something I could never do. I would want to take them all home. I hope that the little guy gets better real quick. Nothing is worse than seeing them sick and not being able to do anything about it.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. To be honest at first my wife said she wanted to get a dog and I was against it knowing how much time and commitment you need to have for them. Less then one week and this little girl has got me all soft and mushy inside. :luv: She is doing better as her eyes and nose do not have any discharge, so the antibiotics are doing there thing. She still has a dry hacking cough but try to keep her calm and resting for now.

Thanks also for the suggestions as I have never had a dog and not sure what you could give them. Funny thing is i was at the store and thought to myself when passing by the baby food that if it is good enough for human babies it should be fine for puppies. I can get her to eat some of her canned food but only about 4-5 pieces, but she does seem to like the gravy alot. Anything to get liquids in her as she does not seem to want the diluted chicken broth either.
Jeff Castor
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

After having 8 dogs over the last 30 yrs. (6 at one point, 2 currently) all of whom died of old age I feel your anxiety... I will safely say anything you can eat they can eat (except chocolate) although one ate a whole batch of brownies with no ill effects, I like the baby food idea and gravy too... Peanut butter toast is a favorite of the 2 I have now, lots of protein and fun to watch... Good luck and keep the updates coming...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Cute puppy--congrats! And I'm glad to hear she's doing better. LOVE the name.
Kelly
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

if memory serves, onions should be avoided as well.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yes No unjuns :tomnic:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Please continue to keep us updated with her condition. She looks like a fine pup and I hope that all will be well!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dmitchell wrote:Kudos to you and your family for taking a dog from a shelter! Something I believe strongly in! Hopefully she gets all better soon.

me2.

We've adopted 2 animals from the shelters over the years.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well today is 1 week and Sassy still has some cough but I will assume it takes time to clear up completely. They said she had pneumonia so anyone know how long it takes for a small dog to recover fully? We still have antibiotics to take for probably 1 more week.
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well today is 1 week and Sassy still has some cough but I will assume it takes time to clear up completely. They said she had pneumonia so anyone know how long it takes for a small dog to recover fully? We still have antibiotics to take for probably 1 more week.
A 2 week course of antibiotics is normal. As for the cough it may take a while depending on her overall condition. If she is still coughing after that you should have her reexamined.

How is she doing otherwise? Is she getting more active? Hope things work out for the best. I know by now she has worked her way into everyone's heart.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Dusty2 wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:Well today is 1 week and Sassy still has some cough but I will assume it takes time to clear up completely. They said she had pneumonia so anyone know how long it takes for a small dog to recover fully? We still have antibiotics to take for probably 1 more week.
A 2 week course of antibiotics is normal. As for the cough it may take a while depending on her overall condition. If she is still coughing after that you should have her reexamined.

How is she doing otherwise? Is she getting more active? Hope things work out for the best. I know by now she has worked her way into everyone's heart.
Yes she is doing very well for energy and I am not sure how much a small puppy eats and drinks but some days she does good and other I wonder how to get her to eat better. They say boiled chicken and rice is good but she is like me and does not like the rice. :neener: She eats the chicken and leaves the rice. I am sure she gets good fluids even from eating canned foods as well.

Yes she has grown on us already especially me. I made a joke and told my wife i have a new black girl friend. :rofl: She also gets jealous when I am trying to hug and kiss my wife and son. She tries to get between us. :boxer: She also has her second vaccine for distemper on the 19th so I am sure they will check her out again.
Jeff Castor