Off topic - Everclear (not the band)

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Off topic - Everclear (not the band)

Post by Norris »

So I have a buddy in California that is really interested in High Proof Everclear. I did some reading and it seems that the lower proof might be legal in Washington and the higher proof might be available on reservations. I'm not a consumer of high octane drinks really so I wanted to cast a line here.
Does anyone know if Everclear is available here in Washington legally? If so where?

I tried calling Tualup liquor stores but all of their numbers are disconnected...sigh

Thanks
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Off topic - Everclear (not the band)

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:So I have a buddy in California that is really interested in High Proof Everclear. I did some reading and it seems that the lower proof might be legal in Washington and the higher proof might be available on reservations. I'm not a consumer of high octane drinks really so I wanted to cast a line here.
Does anyone know if Everclear is available here in Washington legally? If so where?

I tried calling Tualup liquor stores but all of their numbers are disconnected...sigh

Thanks
I've seen Bacardi 151 in liquor stores which is the same proof as the "low" stuff. I am not sure if I have ever seen Everclear either the 151 or the 190 proof variety. I don't think its actually illegal or anything, the market just may not support stocking it. Try a large state liquor store in Everett or someplace.

Not sure how you'll ship it though, as a flammable liquid its hazmat. UPS may take it ground for a premium. USPS won't allow it and it there are huge fines for non-disclosure of flammable liquids like this. The hazmat/shipping issue may be part of the reason stores find it unprofitable to stock.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I remember my wife telling me how in her younger days she and her friends would drink everclear and cool-aid. I will ask her where she got it at that time.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Understood on the shipping. He is driving up here in a couple weeks and I would get him a bottle as a gift.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

Most liquor stores in Oregon have the 190 proof variety. It's hard core down there.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

You know you can make fish drunk with it, right? Ever seen a drunk fish? They swim kinda sideways...

But I would never do that to a fish. :angelblue:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

My cousin buys it online to make his special "apple pie". Good stuff. This place has it listed http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm no shipments to CA, but WA seems to be OK. I have purchased it in OR so maybe he could get some on his way through.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

I think they sell it in OR. Im in portland right now. I could pick up a bottle for you if you want. Will be in Tacoma tomorrow.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

According to the Liquor Board, it's sold in Washington State in the 151 and 190 proof varieties.

http://liq.wa.gov/LCBhomenet/StoreInfor ... earch.aspx

Type in Everclear in the brand name keyword and click the button (don't hit enter).
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I would check that with a call before I made a trip. If you click industrial alcohol (available by permit only) the 190 proof stuff comes up. I think that's why my cousin gets it online.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

The 190 proof is 14.95 in oregon liquor stores for a 750 ml bottle. The online price is highway robbery.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

nwbobber wrote:My cousin buys it online to make his special "apple pie". Good stuff. This place has it listed http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm no shipments to CA, but WA seems to be OK. I have purchased it in OR so maybe he could get some on his way through.
"We cannot ship Grain Alcohol to California, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, or Washington."

190 proof in a 750ml bottle

sigh....
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Save a few bucks and just drink Sterno. Or the white gas that goes in camping stoves. Same effect for much cheaper. Come to think of it, hitting your head medium hard with a brick produces pretty much the same net results, and bricks are pretty much free. I have a few lying around I'd be happy to get rid of.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joshua Smith wrote:Save a few bucks and just drink Sterno. Or the white gas that goes in camping stoves. Same effect for much cheaper. Come to think of it, hitting your head medium hard with a brick produces pretty much the same net results, and bricks are pretty much free. I have a few lying around I'd be happy to get rid of.
I started out at medium hard, but as life progresses I have had to up the ante and switch to hard, and very hard on the weekends. The brick hangovers are not fun, and my wife has nicknamed me "Lumpy" but thanks for the suggestion.

-
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

don't be such a wuss, rick. portland is only a few hours away...

;)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

BRING ME A BOTTLE MATT!!!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Off topic - Everclear (not the band)

Post by Joshua Smith »

Norris wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Save a few bucks and just drink Sterno. Or the white gas that goes in camping stoves. Same effect for much cheaper. Come to think of it, hitting your head medium hard with a brick produces pretty much the same net results, and bricks are pretty much free. I have a few lying around I'd be happy to get rid of.
I started out at medium hard, but as life progresses I have had to up the ante and switch to hard, and very hard on the weekends. The brick hangovers are not fun, and my wife has nicknamed me "Lumpy" but thanks for the suggestion.

-
ROFL! Matt, please change Rick's screen name to "Lumpy" as soon as you can.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

$19.95 at the 12th and Pike store.
IMAG0501.jpg
(no bricks required)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

If they dont have it on the shelf Rick they can order it for you. I get Stroh Rum in a 160 here.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Penopolypants wrote:$19.95 at the 12th and Pike store.
IMAG0501.jpg
(no bricks required)
NICE thanks for that Penolope!!!!

Good to know
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I saw Everclear at a liquor store in Renton a few months ago. It was kept behind glass unlike most of the rest of the booze.

I actually realized I need some the other day so I will see if my local Kirkland store can order it. I'm trying to make a lavender flavored syrup from lavender flowers... Many of the flavor and odor components in plants are soluble in alcohol, not water, so I thought that an Everclear extraction might be a good step in the protocol.

(The lavender syrup will eventually be used in cocktails, of course.)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Yeah I am going to check some of the more local stores too. Thats what my buddy wants it for, some kind tincture or herbal deal.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Matt S. wrote:I saw Everclear at a liquor store in Renton a few months ago. It was kept behind glass unlike most of the rest of the booze.

I actually realized I need some the other day so I will see if my local Kirkland store can order it. I'm trying to make a lavender flavored syrup from lavender flowers... Many of the flavor and odor components in plants are soluble in alcohol, not water, so I thought that an Everclear extraction might be a good step in the protocol.

That sounds waaaay better than what we made with it in high school. We called it "purple jesus", and the only ingredients I really remember were everclear and frozen grape juice concentrate.

Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

You are lucky even to remember the name after what TEH PURPAL JEBUS would do to you!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Matt S. wrote:I saw Everclear at a liquor store in Renton a few months ago. It was kept behind glass unlike most of the rest of the booze.

That sounds waaaay better than what we made with it in high school. We called it "purple jesus", and the only ingredients I really remember were everclear and frozen grape juice concentrate.
You guys did not put fruit in it? The fruit was the best by the end of the night.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.