tank valve adapter

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

tank valve adapter

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey everyone. I have a condemned hp 100 that I want to make into a holding tank for my compressor. I have a large Emglo contractors compressor I use for construction. When not in use I have it hooked up to my air lines in my garage.

My problem is finding a male adapter for the neck so I can put a water drain in it. I am going to mount the tank on my wall upside down, use the neck for the water drain, inlet 1/3 up and the outlet at the top. I would work as a really good water trap and give me more storage for spraying. The plumbing shops say that it is not a standard thread. Where would I get an adapter so I could do this?

Thanks
Charles
sitkadiver
Submariner

Re: tank valve adapter

Post by sitkadiver »

I'm guessing something like they have in the grainger catalog might help, but you'll have to browse to find your specific size. this link takes you to 3/4 to 1/2 in reducers.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se ... sst=subset
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I am not sure it they will work. I have thought of getting a tank shipping plug and then drilling/tapping it for a pipe but most are plastic now. The tank will only hold 150 lbs pressure though. I guess I just need to drag the tank around to plumbing places till I find the right adapter.
Charles
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Hey everyone. I have a condemned hp 100 that I want to make into a holding tank for my compressor. I have a large Emglo contractors compressor I use for construction. When not in use I have it hooked up to my air lines in my garage.

My problem is finding a male adapter for the neck so I can put a water drain in it. I am going to mount the tank on my wall upside down, use the neck for the water drain, inlet 1/3 up and the outlet at the top. I would work as a really good water trap and give me more storage for spraying. The plumbing shops say that it is not a standard thread. Where would I get an adapter so I could do this?

Thanks
There are two different threads used in hp 100's. Most current tanks have 3/4" NPS (National Pipe Straight) threads. These are similar to your standard NPT (National Pipe Tapered), but rely on an o-ring rather than tapered threads to seal. You may be able to find some NPS fittings at McMaster-Carr or similar, they are very uncommon, but that is where I was able to get a 3/4" NPS tap.

The older PST and Genesis tanks have a 7/8-14 2A UNF thread that is much less common.

Good Luck,
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Why not go to a dive shop and get one of the valves they have laying around, cut it off and tap it for 1/2" NPT?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

If your only going to be using it at 150 PSI why not just weld a pipe coupling the size of your choice to the neck? I have welded plenty of hydraulic lines used at 2500 psi. If you don't weld I am sure you have a friend that does. Just make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing. Grind all the galvanizing off the neck first and use a black steel fitting instead of galvanized.

Just my 2 psi.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I found out that the tank has the 7/8" straight thread.

nwbobber wrote:Why not go to a dive shop and get one of the valves they have laying around, cut it off and tap it for 1/2" NPT?
I thought of that in fact I have the din valve that was on the tank. I just had a problem destoying a good din valve.
Mateo1147 wrote:If your only going to be using it at 150 PSI why not just weld a pipe coupling the size of your choice to the neck? I have welded plenty of hydraulic lines used at 2500 psi. If you don't weld I am sure you have a friend that does. Just make sure who ever does it knows what they are doing. Grind all the galvanizing off the neck first and use a black steel fitting instead of galvanized.

Just my 2 psi.
I like that idea. I have a gas set and could easilly weld a bushing or adapter onto the neck.

Keep the ideas coming.
Charles
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I have a tank sitting in my garage that could work for you too. It has an old (not working) gast compressor on it, I think it is 40 gal., already has drain etc. If you have the room.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Drill and tap the burst disk port for a drain?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

nwbobber wrote:I have a tank sitting in my garage that could work for you too. It has an old (not working) gast compressor on it, I think it is 40 gal., already has drain etc. If you have the room.
Tempting but that may be too big. What are it's dimensions?
Charles
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I get the novelty factor here but the reality is that doing this isn't going to gain you much as far as storage goes and the time and effort is more than just buying something like this which will hold more air:

Dave Mitchell
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I probably agree with you Dave but I have everything in my spare plumbing box to do this. I love making things out of things that are no longer usable. I have already sold two Garden Gongs made out of old scuba tanks and wanted to try something else. There also happens to be a perfect space above my compressor manifold for the tank.
Charles
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Figured as much, Like I said, I get the Novelty part of the project. Have fun!
Dave Mitchell
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

A standard 3/4" pipe adapter and a brazing rod and some flux and wala! you be done.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I liked Dusty's idea so much went with it. Had everything I needed in the plumbing repair box. I found a couple of old steel tank bands to mount it to the wall. I now have over 60% more tanked air and with the gas valve I can disonnect the compressor to use elsewhere and still have air in the garage.
Attachments
DSC02770.JPG.jpg
Charles
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Chuck do you have a parts list? Did you braze the side ports in?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

It was pretty easy. First I drilled two 13/16" holes for the in and out ports. I wanted the tank to act as a water seperator so the in port is at the bottom and the out port is at the top. I had a real old drain valve that I installed after brazing the bottom adaptor. I used a 3/4" to 3/8" male/female for all ports. After drilling the two ports I had to grind the threads a little on the adapter to get them in the holes then I brazed all connections. I had some used brass fittings so I cleaned them up and sprayed them with a can of clear coat I had. After pressure testing the tank I painted with some extra old oil paint and was done. If I had another tank and more room I would do another but my new home only has a two car garage and I park my cars in it. It was a fun project.
Charles
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Looks great, Chuck, good work!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I wish I had a way to braze. I have an old epoxy lined lp72 which I cannot tumble the liner out of completely. It would be perfect. Thanks for the step by step tho!

Does anyone here in the Seattle/Tacoma/Bremerton triangle have a brazing setup I could borrow for an hour or 2? I did it yrs ago in college so probably wouldn't burn any garages down.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

CaptnJack wrote:I wish I had a way to braze. I have an old epoxy lined lp72 which I cannot tumble the liner out of completely. It would be perfect. Thanks for the step by step tho!

Does anyone here in the Seattle/Tacoma/Bremerton triangle have a brazing setup I could borrow for an hour or 2? I did it yrs ago in college so probably wouldn't burn any garages down.

I almost tried some JB Weld on the adapters. You might try that if you do not have a gas set.
Charles