Really bad news for Seattle divers

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:I don't know if it will help, but i made this, there were a handful of different online petition sites out there so i did the best i could without much info (i asked around heard sketchy things about a few of them) but this one seemed ok. if you know of a better one, please let me know... I'm happy to do the work to get it up and running...

http://signon.org/sign/save-alki-fish-a ... by=1751332

West Seattle Blog is going to promote it as well, and send it out to their network. If we can get boatloads of signatures she will take it all the way to city hall, the news stations, etc...

So, sign away!
Signed. Thanks, Laura!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Signed, and posted to my Facebook wall. Here's hoping...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Just signed as well.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Signed
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Done. Things like this always leave me with a bad taste for city government...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:Done. Things like this always leave me with a bad taste for city government...
Man they can't win for losing. The city is obligated to put the lease out for bid and get as much for the city as possible out of the leasee. Maybe the Korean women agreed to put completely redo the disgusting bathrooms and given otherwise comparable dollar value that's why tipped the scales in their favor?

I don't really know what the justification was, its possible its crap and and its also possible the city got a steal of a deal for the broader citizenry.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Done. Things like this always leave me with a bad taste for city government...
Man they can't win for losing. The city is obligated to put the lease out for bid and get as much for the city as possible out of the leasee. Maybe the Korean women agreed to put completely redo the disgusting bathrooms and given otherwise comparable dollar value that's why tipped the scales in their favor?

I don't really know what the justification was, its possible its crap and and its also possible the city got a steal of a deal for the broader citizenry.

All right, I'll retract my comment about the city government until more details emerge about the conditions surrounding the bidding process emerge.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Fwiw, I'm forwarding this to non diving friends as well. I think I still have a few of them.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Signed, and posted to Facebook and Twitter, too.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

All of us should email Ms. Hollomon, stating our support for Yvonne and objection toward finding a new tenant.

DecidedlyOdd wrote: The listed contact in the document is:

Rita Hollomon, Parks Concession Coordinator at (206) 684-8008 or email her at rita.hollomon@seattle.gov
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I signed the petition and am glad it was started, but it's not enough. Petitions are passive and easily ignored. A win would require bothering decision-makers directly or via the media.

I called the shop to express support and ask how THEY would like us to help. They are aware of and grateful for our support.

The answer I got was that Christopher Williams, Parks acting Superintendent is the final word on the lease decision. It was suggested that we focus energies toward him and any city council member we have connection to. Tom Rasmussen was mentioned specifically.

Seattle Parks dept. (206) 684-4075
City council directory. LINK
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Signed the peittion and agree with Ben, we need to do more to bother these guys and make it known that the community is NOT happy about this!

Ben, should we call that number and complain to Tom Rasmussen?

Should we coordinate a demonstration of some sorts.. Gather in our drysuits in the parking lot and if we get enough divers in drysuits in the parking lot, I bet you it will get media attention!

when was the last time 100+ divers in drysuits had a demonstration :p
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

did you find out if the deadline is indeed today at 4pm? I'm stuck at work in federal way until 3:20, so if it is indeed today I need someones help to get this to christopher Williams, etc... by then. so we need someone to print it out as close to then as possible to get maximum signatures and I guess hand it to the people in charge. if I get off early, or there is still leeway time wise, I have tomorrow off and will put on my best suit and we'll take it to the mattresses ;) (said with a scicillian accent)

thoughts?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

if we can get a demonstration together of tons of divers in drysuits, I can for sure get us media coverage.
----
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I'd be happy to do that..

I am on vacation for the next 3 weeks and would be more than happy to sign, seal and deliver this!

what physical address does this need to be delivered to?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:if we can get a demonstration together of tons of divers in drysuits, I can for sure get us media coverage.
I'm in! It was fun invading the Mukilteo city council meeting when they decided to close the lighthouse park to diving. And we sure got results that time.

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Joshua Smith wrote:
ljjames wrote:if we can get a demonstration together of tons of divers in drysuits, I can for sure get us media coverage.
I'm in! It was fun invading the Mukilteo city council meeting when they decided to close the lighthouse park to diving. And we sure got results that time.

+1 here!!

What date/time do we want to do this? This weekend would work nicely :)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Sent out the online petition to all my staff, fellow instructors and past/present students and the NWUE and "dive group" facebook pages. that should get a decent hundred or so bump in sigs! :D
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

keep signing folks... My contact at west Seattle blog says that a hoard of divers would make some impact with regards to media coverage so we need to figure out how soon we can rally as many divers as possible and make this happen.
----
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I cannot make it up there this afternoon. I did sign the petition ... I also wrote the following in the comments section, and would suggest that those of you signing the petition express your comments as well ...

Losing Yvonne would be a serious blow to everyone who frequents Seacrest Park. She isn't just a merchant ... she's a part of the waterfront experience, and a friend to those of us who use the park regularly ... whether we are divers, fishermen, roller bladers, or just people who live nearby and use the facility for daily walks. Yvonne has been a positive influence among all of the various park users who sometimes "compete" for resources, actively bringing the various user interests together.

This is about way more than a business relationship ... Yvonne is a unifying force among a sometimes contentious group down there ... everyone loves and respects her ...

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

kdupreez wrote:Ben, should we call that number and complain to Tom Rasmussen?
Well Tom is on the city council and the number is for the Parks Dept., so I don't think that would work... :smt064
I wouldn't use the word "complain". I recommend sticking to NWDC rules (i.e., don't be a dick*). Nobody likes to deal with angry mobs, but polite and civilized expressions of concern can get you a long way in my experience.

Ben

*Not implying you would ever be impolite. You're extremely good natured in my experience.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I would be available for a "demonstration" this weekend. I don't think Peter would be, though.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I heard back from a Charles Ng, in response to my letter to Ms. Hollomon. Here's what he said:

On Dec 5, 2011, at 3:02 PM, Hollomon, Rita wrote:

Thank you for your email.

As you may know, the lease for the concession at Seacrest Park, like those at other parks, are finite. In the case of Seacrest the lease expired on June 30, 2011 and Parks extended it through September 30, 2012 or until a new lease is signed, whichever occurs first. The lease had already been extended for three years in 2008, per Ordinance #120748. As is customary and required by law (the City is required to advertise publicly for any contract with a term of more than one year), Parks and Recreation issued a Request for Proposals that you can find here on our website: http://www.seattle.gov/parks/partnerships/rfp.htm (scroll down to the entry entitled "Operation of a Restaurant/Food Service Facility at the Seacrest Boathouse (including bicycle and boat rentals)."

In the RFP, Parks articulated its objectives and requirements on page two. Parks received three responses to the RFP and an objective team of Parks staff evaluated them. The selected proposer, Marination, outscored Alki Crab and Fish, by some 45 points. In order to be as fair as possible, Parks staff held in-person interviews with both of the top scorers, Marination and Alki Crab and Fish. The interviews did not change the outcome.

There is a protest procedure (please see section 5 of the RFP), and Parks anticipates receiving a protest today.

Sincerely,

Charles
It does seem that today is some sort of deadline. I say that we all email the heck out of these people so that they'll at least consider postponing the decision until we have had enough time to organize and deliver them the petition. Here are the email addresses I have so far, feel free to add to this list:

Hollomon, Rita <Rita.Hollomon@seattle.gov>, Ng, Charles <Charles.Ng@seattle.gov>, Potter, Dewey <Dewey.Potter@seattle.gov>, Salinas, Rebecca <Rebecca.Salinas@seattle.gov>
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

done..
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

the competing offer was from Marination Station / Marination Mobile.

there's a competing petition up, but a comparison of the petitions is that its going 351 to 9 in favor of Yvonne+Co.