Really bad news for Seattle divers

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by Grateful Diver »

Considering all the spam I've been getting from Amazon lately, those MoveOn messages didn't even register in the noise level. My Delete key's getting a real workout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

ljjames wrote:my apologies for the inconvenience... I promise you that the petition meant so much to the folks at ACF...
Not that big of a deal, worth it to support AFC.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:Considering all the spam I've been getting from Amazon lately, those MoveOn messages didn't even register in the noise level. My Delete key's getting a real workout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
HA! You should see what happens when you order something from Toys-R-Us!!!!! An hour doesn't go by now when I don't get an e-mail from them or their (many) affiliates! :eek:

The petition to save the Alki Crab and Fish company was worth it, though. I'd sign it again in a heartbeat and I thank Laura for setting it up. She had no way of knowing what would result from it. Now, let's just see if it will do some good...

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I'm going to be down at ACF over the next several days shooting for a 2-3 min video for City Council showing the community hub that they have built. I'd love to get some short diver interviews (also interviewing some of the fishermen who participate in the Derby etc...). Eric the owner is getting me some pictures of the building and premises when they took over the property so it should be a neat video to edit :) At very least, it will be a nice tribute. If other local video/photogs would like to participate, please let me know!

oh, and fwiw, online sigs just clicked over to 1100!!!!! (and another 4 or 500 pen and ink...)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Considering all the spam I've been getting from Amazon lately, those MoveOn messages didn't even register in the noise level. My Delete key's getting a real workout ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
HA! You should see what happens when you order something from Toys-R-Us!!!!! An hour doesn't go by now when I don't get an e-mail from them or their (many) affiliates! :eek:

The petition to save the Alki Crab and Fish company was worth it, though. I'd sign it again in a heartbeat and I thank Laura for setting it up. She had no way of knowing what would result from it. Now, let's just see if it will do some good...

- John
The day before Thanksgiving I got over 60 spam emails from various online vendors hawking their "Black Friday" sales. As Christmas approaches, that number's creeping back up again. I do a lot of purchasing through Amazon ... and I'd say I'm getting spams from them about every half-hour or so lately.

Once Christmas has passed, I'm sure it'll tail off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Everything in life is a trade-off. The question we always have to ask is, "is this trade-off worth it?"

Spam is a fact of modern life, unfortunately. A few mouse clicks to opt out, so I could show my support for ACF, is easily a trade-off that was worth it.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

If you use Outlook, set an email inbox rule to dump it into a spam folder.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by kdupreez »

looks like the bad news is starting :(

Were at cove2 today and Seattle Police chalked our tires.. I spoke with the gal and she explicitly said their enforcing the 2hr parking for taxi people and also divers who are mis-using the parking lot for their recreational activities..

never in the past 4 years have I ever seen them enforce it, so I'm not sure why now? or maybe I've just never been there during the right times..

Parks and rec were also in n out if the lot randomly without it really looking like they are parking and getting out for official business..

:(
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I've seen them chalk tires there before, but not very often. Probably not related to ACF leaving at this point, but you never know.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

i suspect it does have to do with the ACF lease. The parks and recreation are under the gun with this a bit, the hearing for the owners protest of the decision is believed to be happening next week, but they are keeping the actual time/date very quiet. I suspect they are 'checking out the situation' more closely. If the decision is not overturned, then it goes to city council vote in January from what Yvonne has heard.

The time to chalk tires is in the summer, when it would matter. (I chatted briefly with the parking lady as well) They were chalking tires on a friday afternoon, in 'almost' winter, when half the lot was empty. I mean really?

Leading up to this about a month or a month and a half ago, there was a gentleman out taking down numbers as well to look at use. All of this has been playing out since the lease was coming up and the proposals were submitted.

Even if ACF keeps the lease, i am a bit worried that P&R is going to be watching the lot and goings on closer.
----
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

i seem to recall bob posting something about enforcement of the 2 hour limit once or twice back like 2004/2005?

very odd that it would happen again right now... in the middle of winter...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

lamont wrote:i seem to recall bob posting something about enforcement of the 2 hour limit once or twice back like 2004/2005?

very odd that it would happen again right now... in the middle of winter...
hmmm... that might have been last time the lease was up for renewal....
----
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The lease is for 10 years ... I doubt very much the parking issue has anything to do with that.

The guy with the clipboard checking parking patterns has been doing so since late spring/early summer ... I chatted with him back in June or July about it and asked him why he was doing so and he said it was a traffic study due to recent and anticipated changes in the water taxi schedule ... remember that they just started running the thing year-round last spring. I asked him if this means they're going to start enforcing the 2-hour limit and he said he didn't know ... that he was contracted by the P&R department to do this study. But that was months before the lease expired ... I don't see how P&R could have anticipated any changes at that time.

Crackdowns have occurred in the past ... but as Laura pointed out, they usually happen in the summer, and usually the result of someone complaining. If any of you went to the public hearing a couple years ago about the dock improvements and proposed year-round taxi schedule, you'll recall that parking was probably the most talked-about issue at that meeting ... and divers were not portrayed favorably as people who obey the existing parking laws. There is a small, but very vocal group of people out there who believe that we monopolize the available ... and very limited ... parking spots in the lot ... and frankly, their complaints are not unwarranted.

I suspect the current chalking has more to do with either a recent complaint(s) from someone about parking, or a general crackdown on parking enforcement throughout the City ... coincidentally, there was an article in yesterday's Seattle Times about parking "scofflaws" getting booted. I suspect it's more a matter of the City's need for funds, and that the lot at Seacrest Park is just a minor part of a larger effort.

At any rate, I suspect that whatever the cause, things will return to "normal" in a few weeks. In the meantime, why not just either respect the time limit or park on the street? Last thing we need as a community is for divers to be portrayed in a negative light as scofflaws ... or to give those vocal few I mentioned earlier another excuse to point to us as a part of the problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

The parking crackdown is a city-wide thing. In the 11 years I lived and worked in Capitol Hill, I got maybe five or six parking tickets, but three of those were in the last few months. All were from two-hour spots that I once could park in for much longer without fear. It's a pretty big source of cash for the city.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

A VIOLATION IS A VIOLATION, NO MATTER WHAT.

We may have gotten away with it for quite some time, but unless, the city pulls the signs out, or changes the allowed time, it is what it is. We (divers), as well as other people doing their own business in that area have been complacent and have been violating it for so long. If the city has more parking enforcement people assigned in that area, believe me, a lot of us would have gotten tickets.

I have a story to tell which goes along the same lines with my previous statement. My last speeding ticket in California was in 1992. I asked the CHP officer why she pulled me as opposed to the stream of cars I was following with the same speed. Her answer was, " Well, what do you expect? I'm the only one in this 10 mile stretch, and I chose your car to pull over". Now, if there would be more Washington State Troopers, local police officers, and/or Parking Enforcement Officers patrolling our streets, there would be justification to keep their jobs (aside from the other real "policing") they do. Therefore, more tickets have to be written.

I do believe that they are starting to crack down on areas which the public has been complaining/violating a lot. Is this a precedent to more tickets in the future? No one knows.

Bottom line is, if the sign says so, follow and obey it. We really have nothing to complain when we get a ticket. Just because we have gotten away with it for so long, doesn't mean that the sign is no longer enforced. Cause if I were the Parking Enforcement Officer writing you a ticket for staying over the time limit, and you come approach me and complain in my face, I would tell you the same response that CHP officer gave me back in California in 1992. Now, that doesn't mean, I won't give everybody down the line tickets too. I probably will. But on the same token, it doesn't mean, I'll be there every damn day to patrol that place.

It is a too bad, so sad situation. We have gotten away with it not because we have special privileges as divers, but because just a pure stroke of 'luck" for a very long time.

Just giving my 2 cents. I'm with you guys on this. But if it happens, that it's your turn to get the ticket, please don't give the officer a hard time. They're just doing their jobs.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Grateful Diver wrote:There is a small, but very vocal group of people out there who believe that we monopolize the available ... and very limited ... parking spots in the lot ... and frankly, their complaints are not unwarranted.
All too true. It would be nice if the parking time limits were longer, and/or there were a way to have more parking spots. I've noticed that parking in general is a problem throughout the greater Seattle area, but I have no idea what to do about it. Apparently, neither does the city. I really can't fault them for that. It is what it is, and if we have to adapt to protect the good name of the diving community, so be it. That's my 2 psi worth.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

coulterboy wrote:A VIOLATION IS A VIOLATION, NO MATTER WHAT.
and everyone posting in this thread does understand that. thanks.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

lamont wrote:
coulterboy wrote:A VIOLATION IS A VIOLATION, NO MATTER WHAT.
and everyone posting in this thread does understand that. thanks.
We're on the same page.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

So round up a group and go to the city council. Explain that the primary activity at Seacrest is diving. Explain that a 2 hour limit makes it very difficult to comply. Ask for it to be extended to 4 hours, which would be a favorable compromise. Bring supporting evidence. Explain why 2hrs just doesn't work in this situation. Explain how and why Seacrest is unique and irreplaceable as a dive resource. Non-divers don't know it takes 3 hours from arrival to departure in certain situations. They don't know Seacrest is often the only appropriate venue. Without this information they are left to assume we only need an hour and could just as easily go somewhere else.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

sounds like a project for after the ACF stuff is all done one way or another :)

I assume it would start with a request to P&R though, and then depending on what they said, would go to city council (but i'm only just learning about the proper channels so if other have more info on how to go about it, i'm all ears)
airsix wrote:So round up a group and go to the city council. Explain that the primary activity at Seacrest is diving. Explain that a 2 hour limit makes it very difficult to comply. Ask for it to be extended to 4 hours, which would be a favorable compromise. Bring supporting evidence. Explain why 2hrs just doesn't work in this situation. Explain how and why Seacrest is unique and irreplaceable as a dive resource. Non-divers don't know it takes 3 hours from arrival to departure in certain situations. They don't know Seacrest is often the only appropriate venue. Without this information they are left to assume we only need an hour and could just as easily go somewhere else.
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

[sarcasm]I'm so surprised[/sarcasm]

I feel so relieved to know they fairly evaluated it yet a second time and came up with the same result.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Hawaiian-Korean food ? Ugh, much as I like Korean food (sometimes) and don't usually like Hawaiian food, I'd far rather the current food sold there to warm me up after a chilly dive.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

limeyx wrote:
Hawaiian-Korean food ? Ugh, much as I like Korean food (sometimes) and don't usually like Hawaiian food, I'd far rather the current food sold there to warm me up after a chilly dive.
What's not to like about Korean or Hawaiian food? But then again, I eat roasted or fried crickets and grasshoppers.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

We need a showing at the Seattle City Council meeting in sup

Post by ljjames »

I realize this is likely just me continuing to tilt at windmills... but.

I heard a story from a dear friend today how their group got a whole block rezoning on broadway reversed, and essentially saved their investment, by showing up at the city council and packing the room, and pleading their case on the day it was to go to a vote.

The Crab and Fish Co. concessionaire decision has to go to a vote with City Council, because it is a 'change'.

We have >1600 signatures, and with help from a few folks am editing an 'ACF, Community Hub' 3 min video. I plan on attending the Meeting and will post here as soon as i know the date.

We have a diver friend on the 'inside' who is helping draft a letter using all the proper terminology and 'coaching'.

So what ACF, what Yvonne et al, what we need is ...You.

I know it's a lot to ask to get folks to show up on a rainy weekend afternoon for a rally, and i know it will be even harder to get folks to take some time off work or out of their busy day for this cause, but it is a worthy one.

Divers banded together and pulled it off at Mukilteo.... As a community, a tribe, we can do so much when we work together...
----