Who else has seen them?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Who else has seen them?

Post by oldsalt »

While diving the Mukilteo fuel pier yesterday, I was hanging about 10 ft off the bottom observing a school of tubesnouts swimming below me when a larger shape darted below me startling me and scattering the fish. After a "What the..." moment, I realized it was a cormorant doing what cormorants do. The tubesnouts spread in a pattern reminding me of the vector diagrams of force fields in physics books. On my swim back to the T-dock, I saw another diving bird underwater - a goldeneye. I seldom see birds underwater and wonder who else sees them. I have seen murres feeding on sandlance and "flying" underwater since they swim with their wings. My "oldest" dive buddy, Dale Pratt, saw a kingfisher at 60' and I heard a radio show this week that said the longtail duck can dive to 200 ft. Are their any other underwater birdwatchers out there? Any have pictures to post? Let's hear your stories.
-Curt
Last edited by oldsalt on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be alive.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Who else has seen them?

Post by cardiver »

oldsalt wrote:While diving the Mukilteo fuel pier yesterday, I was hanging about 10 ft off the bottom observing a school of tubesnouts swimming below me when a larger shape darted below me startling me and scattering the fish. After a "What the..." moment, I realized it was a cormorant doing what cormorants do. The tubesnouts spread in a pattern reminding me of the vector diagrams of force fields in physics books. On my swim back to the T-dock, I saw a another diving bird underwater - a goldeneye. I seldom see birds underwater and wonder who else sees them. I have seen murres feeding on sandlance and "flying" underwater since they swim with their wings. My "oldest" dive buddy, Dale Pratt, saw a kingfisher at 60' and I heard a radio show this week that said the longtail duck can dive to 200 ft. Are their any other underwater birdwatchers out there? Any have pictures to post? Let's hear your stories.
-Curt
I'm not sure on the type of bird, but I saw a few dive bombing the 60-70' range at Redondo a couple of weeks ago.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Who else has seen them?

Post by Rockfish »

I've seen birds diving on Possession Ferry some even as deep as the deck.

Mike
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I had a cormorant swim past me at around 60' at the old Edmonds oil dock a few years ago. That was pretty cool.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I saw several birds"fly" past me in the shallows at Harper Ferry a few years back.

Seen them a few times at Edmonds Underwater Park ... don't know what kind they were.

Even saw one at the I-beams once ... I think it was probably a cormorant.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Who else has seen them?

Post by Jeremy »

I've seen them a few times at the dry dock and the pontoon at Edmonds
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I saw a bird 40 FSW at Redondo. Freaked me out at first.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Saw a Cormorant at 90' at the N. side of the old Edmonds Oil dock. My wife and I looked at each other as it swam by (flapped it's wings)and you could see we both were wondering what THAT was! Then it came back for another pass giving us a good look and seemed to be checking us out. That confirmed we weren't terminally narc'ed.
Prior to that I had only had seen some unidentified birds doing quick dives in fairly shallow water a couple of times. Never seen another deep diving bird. One diver I know has seen birds at 160' in CA diving.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've seen cormorants at Edmonds, and Peter took some nice photos of a diving duck at Edmonds one day.

But the most amazing experience I've had was on the oil rigs in Southern California, where we were swimming around at 77 feet when a large, black object went whizzing by . . . it was a cormorant, and it was in no hurry to get back to the surface!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

100' rock, too... they'd follow the divers bubbles down...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I've seen twice now merganser ducks diving pretty deep at Clear Lake. One time, they were quite close to me- it was very cool to see their bright colors as they tried to catch a snack.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

I've seen Goldeneyes in Clear Lake (OR) and a watched a Cormorant terrorize a herd of juvie rockfish in Monterey- both experiences were pretty neat.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Furnari wrote:I've seen Goldeneyes in Clear Lake (OR) and a watched a Cormorant terrorize a herd of juvie rockfish in Monterey- both experiences were pretty neat.
I call shenanigans, I hear that he can only dive 5-10 feet tops

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**