Break in!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Break in!

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:I hear the trumpet for big callbers. When I was required to fire at least a box a week and often shot every day I could handle the big guns. But, less than that and it is indeed a rare person who can handle anything larger than a 357 or 45ACP. Most can't even handle that.

In a self-defense surprise situation I believe the odds are overwhelming the first shot with a handgun loaded with single projectile ammo will be a miss. So, regaining control and getting that second shot on target Quickly is very important. That takes practice and a low enough recoil weapon not to take the weapon very far off target. That is one of the reasons many people have gone to .40 cal or even 9mm. Or, to the shotgun pistols like the Judge.

The miss is also another reason for shot shells. Single projectiles that miss the target, including shotgun slugs, have a terrible habit of going way downrange and creating friendly fire caualties. Not a good thing to maintain good relations with the neighbors.

All true. I was referring to the 454, the S&W 50, and the legions of other ridiculous chamberings that followed. I just don't get it. The best rationale I've heard is that folks in bear country might need the firepower. But I'd still prefer a.rifle or shotgun in that situation.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

When we backpacked in Alaska, our kodiac round was a 44mag, 240gr jhp, with as much powder as you could stuff in the case.

All the guides carried them as well.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:When we backpacked in Alaska, our kodiac round was a 44mag, 240gr jhp, with as much powder as you could stuff in the case.

All the guides carried them as well.

Which is about 60% of the stopping power of a 30/30, I believe. And nobody would select a 30/30 as a bear gun. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably want a 44 in bear country myself, but its far from optimal. Rather carry a .45/.70 or a 12 ga with slugs.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Bears?

First, don't use Guides as a guide for much. Lots of what they do is marketing and helping perpetuate the myths, which also is good for business.

Fact is a well placed round of whatever calibre will take down most any animal. Amazing how many animals are taken down by .243, 30-06, etc. Lots of calibre choice is driven by fashion and the belief that a big gun will make up for lack of practice.

The bears I've killed were all one shot with a 30-06. None made it any more than 50' without going down so I am positive they were clean kills.

Back to the OP. He had a break in. That is an unsettling thing. In my opinion, not having been there, that scaring the bad guy off and fixing the door, making it stronger in the process was the "right" thing to do. Once you get to the shooting a whole new can of worms is dropped on the floor. In the process a person can never tell where their squirming will take them, and you, especially if a stray round goes down the street and hurts someone else.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Are we talking about guns on a scuba website? Is this heaven? :taco:

I have to say that I agree with Articdiver. Most gun owners, IMHO, don't shoot enough. I know many a gun owner who dust the rifle off for hunting season. Shoot 3 or 4 deer and put the rifle away until next year. That always amazes me. If soemone is going to buya gun for home protection, I say get something you're comfortable shooting and shoot it as often as you can. It will not do you any good to blow big holes in the walls, especially if the rounds are hitting your loved ones in the next room.

On the topic of bears. I used to work at a remote fishing buying station on the Tsiu River( pronounced sigh you). It's located about half way between Yakutat and Cordova. Although there is a logging camp at Icy Bay(12 miles East), that was the only civilization for 90 miles. In late august and into September the river would fill up with spawning Coho, which is why it was fished. It was also fished by bears, and lots of them. My choice of weapon was a 12 ga. with Sabot slugs. (But I also hunt with a .30/06 here in Sitka just in case I run into Bruno while I've got a deer on my back.)

While at the Tsiu I conducted an experiment: Sabot rounds vs. standard 1oz. slugs. I fired them at a metal pole that was once used for the UHF antenna. The non saboted round would penetrate the 3 in diameter pole and jingle around inside, it sounded like a pebble going through a drain pipe. The sabot round went through both sides of the pole, not really sure where they ended up.... I never saw the round impact the sand dunes beyond...

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Sabots were mostly designed as a barricade penetration round, or for taking out engine blocks as I recall.

As for back country weapons, our guides stated they'd rather lug a 4in 44mag around than a rifle.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

sitkadiver wrote:Are we talking about guns on a scuba website? Is this heaven? :taco:
Yes! I always love it when these discussions turn to penises guns, because I learn so much about what our member's members chosen firearms are like. Which ones are just for fun, just for looks, for hiding away, or for maximum impact. Carry on! :luv:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:
sitkadiver wrote:Are we talking about guns on a scuba website? Is this heaven? :taco:
Yes! I always love it when these discussions turn to penises guns, because I learn so much about what our member's members chosen firearms are like. Which ones are just for fun, just for looks, for hiding away, or for maximum impact. Carry on! :luv:
LMAO Fascinating isn't it?

When I was in the high north, the gun of choice for polar bears was a 30-06. I suspect one reason was they couldn't afford a half dozen different guns/calibers/rounds. They used what they could get and were proficient with (since the primary purpose was seals and cariboo). None of them even had handguns, they are highly restricted in Canada. And they didn't lose people to bears, or to each other for that matter.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Penopolypants wrote:
Normally I would find your sort of innuendo offensive and vulgar!!! However, you pretty much got it right.... ha ha :rofl:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Penopolypants wrote:
Yes! I always love it when these discussions turn to penises guns, because I learn so much about what our member's members chosen firearms are like.

You are funny smart. Do some more.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Penopolypants wrote:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well played Penelope
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Oh, pshaw. Y'all have been walking into that one for days! :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:Oh, pshaw. Y'all have been walking into that one for days! :)
They're practiced, they've been comparing calibers since high school :penelope:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Oh, pshaw. Y'all have been walking into that one for days! :)
They're practiced, they've been comparing calibers since high school :penelope:
:rofl:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Penopolypants wrote:
Leave it to a female to turn to an anotomical/sexual reference. :stir: I love the "just for looks" reference and the image of you walking down the street "looking". I will never go out in public witout an apron again. :angelblue:

Then I took a look at your avatar in the context of your posts and even through the leg pain today had a good laugh. Thanks.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.