Many shipwrecks in the columbia river

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Many shipwrecks in the columbia river

Post by CaptnJack »

Gonna dig for them in the sands of the Columbia bar?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I found a nice book in the everett lib.. And it had lots of good wreck info.. The Benson wreck was a big one..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Diving anywhere around the mouth is dangerous with the potential of farm animal stupid.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:I found a nice book in the everett lib.. And it had lots of good wreck info.. The Benson wreck was a big one..
I have a fairly old shipwreck book but its all about where you might see the bones in the sand at the beach.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Blitz wrote:Diving anywhere around the mouth is dangerous with the potential of farm animal stupid.

What, the graveyard of the Pacific? Doesn't SOUND dangerous or anything. And it happens to be right by the Coast Guard rough water rescue school. They could just come get you if there was a problem, I'm sure.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Blitz wrote:Diving anywhere around the mouth is dangerous with the potential of farm animal stupid.
lessons born in sand?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
lessons born in sand?
:rofl:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Nope. I just figure that if the ADV. Rescue Swimmer school for the USCG is there, it may not be the best place to dive...
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
lessons born in sand?
ROFL!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
lessons born in sand?
ROFL!
+1. Good one.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
lessons born in sand?
ROFL!
+1. Good one.
Perfect!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I was with a small navy command which put divers in the water there near Astoria. We anchored tethered objects, similar to mines, and watched them from day to day. Some days they would be covered by 10 feet of sand just to be uncovered the next day. I envisioned huges waves of sand, essentially underwater dunes, moving along the bottom. Wrecks would emerge and disappear. As much as wrecks fascinate me, I have not been tempted to dive there.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

For everyone interested in wrecks and maritime history in the PNW area I would highly recommend a visit to the Maritime museum in Astoria. It's AMAZING!

http://www.crmm.org/
Cheers!

Ron
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

guitarmaker wrote:For everyone interested in wrecks and maritime history in the PNW area I would highly recommend a visit to the Maritime museum in Astoria. It's AMAZING!

http://www.crmm.org/
+1 on the museum, and just down the shoreline on pier 39 is the dive shop and the Rogue Ale Public House (Just in case the diver shop is closed.).
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Having grown up in the area, it's always been in the back of my mind to spend a little time with a sidescan out there. The Drexel Victory could be a potential dive. The Camden is a maybe, but it likely too deep, even if the conditions were right.
Purveyor of crack ;)
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

The summer before last I spend just over three months out on the peninsula diving just about everything that could be dove. I spent one month just doing wrecks off Grays Harbor. My mothers side of the family are from that neck of the woods and most of them have been in the fishing industry to some aspect. Their are tons of wrecks out there but it is hit or miss if you can find them literately from day to day with all the sand that moves around. Some wrecks have been known to disappear for several years then show up as much as a mile away from its old location. :nutty:

It was easier in the old days when the charter industry was at its peak compared to today. With all those boats keeping track of all the targets on a daily basis. Were today with the few boats still working out there things are not as well known anymore. I was hoping to put together a good set of data but it is literally impossible out there with the sand moving as much as it is. we would dive a target then come back the following week and it would not be there or it was mostly buried. Each time the winds would blow things would change.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Raydar wrote:Having grown up in the area, it's always been in the back of my mind to spend a little time with a sidescan out there. The Drexel Victory could be a potential dive. The Camden is a maybe, but it likely too deep, even if the conditions were right.
The Drexel seems to be right in the middle of the channel? What about some of those north of the north jetty but beyond the dredge spoils area? And/or deeper beyond the depth where storms have so much influence on the bottom. Like the Rosecrans or the Iowa?
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Here's a link to some of the wrecks http://www.fluxstories.com/2011/06/brav ... pwrecks-2/

The difficult with diving the bar is 1) Marine Traffic 2) 4-8 knot current 3) Sea State

When I went to NMLB School we did our surf days off Clatsop Spit (the south one) as it was "safer". We were not allowed to operated in the area immediately to the north of Peacock Spit as it was too dangerous. I went to NMLB School in 1991, shortly after Charles Sexton drowned while the 52 was towing the M/V Sea King across the bar.

Personally I think the bar would be a great place not to dive.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Another interactive link which also shows the shifting water/sand/land through time.
http://neochronography.com/shipwrecks/index.html
Lonestar wrote: Personally I think the bar would be a great place not to dive.
Cherry picker :angelblue:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

FYI, if you go 250 miles upstream the water is nice and calm. Well, there's current but no surf. Consequently the wrecks there are very well preserved. Sorry, that was a typo. I mean the rocks are well preserved. :angryblue:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

airsix wrote:FYI, if you go 250 miles upstream the water is nice and calm. Well, there's current but no surf. Consequently the wrecks there are very well preserved. Sorry, that was a typo. I mean the rocks are well preserved. :angryblue:

So are all the skeletons off the park ;-)
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Cherry Picker? Yessir!

But thinking more about it, it would be a great dive to do for the challenge of it. I'm thinking a trip out to Carter Lift Bags in Enumclaw to pick up one of their 12 foot SMBs, wait for a quiet day on the bar, stay close(r) to one of the spits so as to be out of the VTS lanes, make a couple runs to see what you can find on sonar, run up current a bit, shoot a bearing and then it's yippy-skippy time!

I never thought Duncan and Duntze Rocks were dive-able and I was certainly proven wrong on that (as is often the case!). Still want to dive those!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

loanwolf wrote:
airsix wrote:FYI, if you go 250 miles upstream the water is nice and calm. Well, there's current but no surf. Consequently the wrecks there are very well preserved. Sorry, that was a typo. I mean the rocks are well preserved. :angryblue:

So are all the skeletons off the park ;-)
I dive right there!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lonestar wrote:Cherry Picker? Yessir!

But thinking more about it, it would be a great dive to do for the challenge of it. I'm thinking a trip out to Carter Lift Bags in Enumclaw to pick up one of their 12 foot SMBs, wait for a quiet day on the bar, stay close(r) to one of the spits so as to be out of the VTS lanes, make a couple runs to see what you can find on sonar, run up current a bit, shoot a bearing and then it's yippy-skippy time!

I never thought Duncan and Duntze Rocks were dive-able and I was certainly proven wrong on that (as is often the case!). Still want to dive those!
The VTS area extends all the way north from Peacock Spit quite a ways but there are a few wrecks in 60fsw out of the way they might be do-able...