cleaning bottles

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
bucknaked
Submariner

cleaning bottles

Post by bucknaked »

What are some of the options for cleaning barnacles and other crud off bottles? Thanks for any insight .matt :pirate:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: cleaning bottles

Post by CaptnJack »

You need a weak acid to dissolve the calcium carbonate. A gallon jug of vinegar will help. It won't hurt glass.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Post by DontPokeTheBear »

I have had very good success with the various muriatic acid substitutes (acid magic, ect) available at most hardware stores.
A quick overnight soak with a mild solution, and the barnacles wipe off with a sponge. I havn't had any problem with glass etching either.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I use muriatic acid since I can get it in gallon jugs for relatively cheap. I mix it in a 7 gallon bucket with water and add the dishes. One bucket of mix will last me all year.

Before:

After:

I've never had an issue with glass or ceramic. Be sure not to breathe it though. Nasty fumes. You'll know when youy get a whiff of it. And you're probably aware that metal and organic material wil be gone if placed in an acid. If you have a bottle with a stopper still in it, I'd go with vinegar. It'll take more elbow grease, but the metal and cork will be intact when you're done.

BTW: What'd ya find? Has anyone over dove in front of the old steamship peir? Seems like there could be some cool stuff under the Red Robin restaurant.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Muratic Acid from Home Depot or Lowes. I use it full strength and it cleans nicely. I tried diluting it with water and it was too weak to get the bottles fully clean. Could be that the stuff I bought was already diluted.
Although if you have the time you can let them soak over night in vinegar.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Probably a dumb question, but does bleach hurt bottles?
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Found a old pepsi cola bottle 40s and a old beer bottle
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dive Monkey wrote:Probably a dumb question, but does bleach hurt bottles?
Actually I've used bleach, on most of my bottles, if for nothing else, it takes the "Stink" away and makes the barnicle shells very white. No, it won't hurt the glass, in any way.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Found an old buckeye spice bottle and a paradise club soda bottle that is pretty neat
Attachments
2012-04-28 06.28.01.jpg
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Old iv bottle?
Attachments
2012-04-28 06.28.54.jpg
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Bleach and most acids (other than hydrofluoric) will not hurt glass. Vinegar is a good, safe acid that you can pour down the drain when you are done with it. Muriatic acid is an impure grade of hydrochloric acid. It gives off vapor, which is what you smell. It should be used in a well ventilated place, best to use it outdoors. The vapors can cause corrosion in the room you are using it if you use it a lot.

One thing to note when working with these chemicals, do not mix them. If you mix bleach and acid you will wish you hadn't - it gives off chlorine gas which is very bad for you. And, it is always better to add acid to water when diluting, rather than adding water to acid.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

bucknaked wrote:Old iv bottle?
:pirate: Arrrg!!! I've created another Bottle Hunter! :evil4: :partydance:

Soon, many bottles, will you have! :thumb3d:

Nice Finds Matt! :highfive:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Yes yes you have. I will post some pics 0of the bottles when they r cleaned0 up.w