Time for a quick trip to Alaska!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Time for a quick trip to Alaska!

Post by diverden »

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Time for a quick trip to Alaska!

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell probably already dove it and has the gold buried in his back yard.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

If it was at 175' I would have been there done that. It's at 365' and in a 4-way channel that screams with current. Trust me, it's on the bucket list. Oh and yea, I'm sitting 10 miles from it right now.

According to someone that was on Jayne's previous failed expedition, the remaining section of the boat is buried under tons of barnacles and in the silt.

More of the story
http://www.nickmessinger.co.uk/islander.html
Dave Mitchell
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I thought that the basic rule of marine salvage was "finders keepers", or if the original owner wants the goods then they make a payment to the salvager comparable to the value recovered - how could a rival salvage company get a restraining order on a wreck containing items they haven't even seen, much less started to recover?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Because the boat is in State waters, not International waters and because I believe there was an insurance payout on this so the insurance company holds the rights to the boat even 100 years later.
Dave Mitchell
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell wrote:If it was at 175' I would have been there done that. It's at 365' and in a 4-way channel that screams with current. Trust me, it's on the bucket list. Oh and yea, I'm sitting 10 miles from it right now.
Sure. That's what he says to keep you from digging up his back yard. :smt064

:)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Great Read ....Thanks diverden for the info :)
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”