Joining the 21st century- must-have apps?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

My job provided me a nextel / phone for the last 10+ years, and it was so limited I couldn't even text with it. But hey, free is free. Long story short, they're now paying for data service on a shiny new iphone 4s 64gb. Now that I've gotten over the lack of a retractable antenna, I've started downloading some apps. I've got Navioncs to cover tides, currents, etc, and some of the basics like a barcode reader, flashlight, and a Nike running app. Any other suggestions- dive related or not?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I really like the Kindle app, if I'm stuck waiting I always have something to read.
NWBoiler
Frequent Bubbler

Post by NWBoiler »

I am w/ Val 100% on the kindle app! It's a must have!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers....
Does all black gear really provide a more streamlined dive rig?...... I Think Not!!! Go DiiR (Do it in Red)!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Joining the 21st century- must-have apps?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Zen Diver wrote:I really like the Kindle app, if I'm stuck waiting I always have something to read.
Yep. I didn't think I would enjoy reading books on my cellphone, but....I do.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Are you looking for iPhone or Android apps?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

OK, educate me please.

I've downloaded and tried a couple of "apps". Frankly, I didn't see their value. They seemed to be a hokey way to do what I was already doing with Bookmarks/Favorites. Mostly they were slower and clunkier than just going direct from the browser. So, why put this extra thingy in the chain? Pretty?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

A couple of my friends have Starmap or Starmap Pro. Both are great fun. You can hold the phone up to the sky and it gives you a labeled version of the stars in the night sky. Like a digital planisphere is how I would describe it. As you turn, the screen moves to match the sky. I could spend hours playing with that app, and so far, everyone I know has loved it.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

ArcticDiver wrote:OK, educate me please.

I've downloaded and tried a couple of "apps". Frankly, I didn't see their value. They seemed to be a hokey way to do what I was already doing with Bookmarks/Favorites. Mostly they were slower and clunkier than just going direct from the browser. So, why put this extra thingy in the chain? Pretty?
Depends on the app. Some are little more than a bookmark, others are tools in and of themselves. For instance, I have a great app I use at work called Neuro Toolkit. It's contains all kinds of neurology assessment scales, trackers etc. There are gas/mix calculators out there, tide apps, knot apps etc that are scuba related as well. Search around, see if anything suits your fancy.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

What is a good tide table for diving app on the iPhone?
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Good question on the tide app. I've just used Navionics, but it only lets you look a few days out. If I'm planning further out than that I'm on my laptop so it hasn't been a problem.

Speaking of Navionics, I used it over the weekend to pick out a dive site offshore out of Newport. Pretty slick- found some interesting topography and drove the boat right to it. The indicated depths were within a foot of our fishfinder, which was reassuring. For other apps, I followed the advice above and got Kindle as well as another e-reader that my local library uses to check out e-books. I also got iDiveplanner but haven't used it much.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

Tapatalk for NW Dive Club Boards is a good one.
Mortplayer for audio books is a recent discovery of mine, good for long solo drives.
There's a dive log app that interfaces with the Divelog software.
I like Cool Reader for books. Kindle only uses books from amazon (afaik), but cool reader is free, and can show most types of ebook formats.

Although most of the above is for android - just saw that you have an iPhone. Some might be available for both, I know Tapatalk is.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2