Help

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Help

Post by Dusty2 »

My funds are really scraping bottom guys so if anyone is getting close to ready to buy a light now would be a good time. I'll make you a good deal if it's soon.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Help

Post by LCF »

Dusty, what would you charge just to make up a canister with an E/O cord, and a 9ah battery?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LCF wrote:Dusty, what would you charge just to make up a canister with an E/O cord, and a 9ah battery?
I'd need a bit more info than that. How many volts, what are you planning to hook it to? What's an E/O cord? To get 9aH your talking a pretty good sized battery pack.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

E/O cords are the ones that come apart in the middle.. Like on the night Rider HID , and edge tech video lights, Heater vests , etc..etc..
l_img_1800_600px1.jpg
l_img_1800_600px1.jpg (6.17 KiB) Viewed 3408 times
https://www.tecdivegear.com/dive-light- ... -thin.html

dive extras also sells them
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I can affirm that the lights Dusty makes are fantastic. I got one a month or so ago and wonder why I waited so long. And the price is pretty well unbeatable. So get yourself an amazing light and help our friend out at the same time.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

You can build/buy a lithium 11.4v 9ah pack that's under 2" in diameter and about 9 inches long. Not big at all.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:You can build/buy a lithium 11.4v 9ah pack that's under 2" in diameter and about 9 inches long. Not big at all.
That would be perfect size to fit my can. supplier?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:
airsix wrote:You can build/buy a lithium 11.4v 9ah pack that's under 2" in diameter and about 9 inches long. Not big at all.
http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion18650 ... light.aspx
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion18650 ... light.aspx
Wow, Pricey little buggers! By the time you get the wet connectors and the can that would be a real pricey unit.

Also My experience with the E/O connectors is that they don't hold up well in salt water. The pins tend to corrode through over time and they are expensive to repair.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Dusty2 wrote:Also My experience with the E/O connectors is that they don't hold up well in salt water. The pins tend to corrode through over time and they are expensive to repair.
You definitely don't want to turn it on if the connectors aren't mated. I also sand the connectors a bit with fine sand paper or a little file (for the female end) every couple of months. I've got a few hundred dives on my current e/o cord.

It does take a little bit of extra care, but the versatility is very nice.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Just a bump to sing the praises of the Z-Light! Amazing value and a darned good light even in our cold, dark waters! (And awesome in the tropics on night dives and deep.day dives looking in holes on the reef. Being Led they are instant on and off so no problems with warm up, etc that I've run into with other lights.)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
HaleyH20
Just Settling In

Post by HaleyH20 »

Hi Dusty2!

I am in the market for one, possibly two, canister lights. How much for a LED light that is 1800 lumens with run time of about 5 hours, Goodman handle, ability to thread onto 2" webbing, and a charger? Can you possibly attach a picture of one or two of your lights so I can get a feel for the size?

Thanks!

HH
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I can also recommend Rich's lights. My wife has used hers for over 6 months now. Works better than my can light that cost almost twice the price. He can provide webbing for connect to a belt or to a BP. Battery is a standard you can get from a hobby shop. Charger included. There are a bunch of photos for them here:

http://underthesound.smugmug.com/Underw ... &k=4C7RNZ3

Rich also has a bunch of beautiful UW photos on his site.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I have nothing but greatness to say about his lights and customer service is second to none.I bought a dusty light a couple of months ago till some how i managed to make a small hole in the cord. I found a little water in the canister but didnt think anything of it. Next day dove the light and about 30 minutes into the dive it started blinking and then shut off. :angry: I sent dusty a pm that night about 600pm explained what the light did and the water in the tube and asked if there was anyway he could look at it i as i was diving the next day. He told me to come over. So I met up with Dusty at about 0930 in morning he swapped out the light and I was on my merry way. He fixed my screw up in almost 12 hours. I didn't have to send it in to the factory or turn it into a dealer. I didnt have to wait a year, six months, a week nothing. :taco: The next day the problem was fixed.That is customer service you cant beat.I highly reccomend these lights. Cant beat the price or the customer service. Matt :supz:
Last edited by bucknaked on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Hey Dusty, if you can hang on I have a kidney for sale on E-Bay. . . .
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Man, I dove with nwcid, with his Dusty light today, and I thought somebody was behind me with VIDEO lights!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

WOW! I'm impressed and a bit overwhelmed by all these responses. :grouphug:

I can see some long hours ahead in the shop. :thankyouyellow:

For those that are unaware I am in PT for the next few days so I won't be able to start any new lights till I get back but I promise I will put my back into it as soon as I do.
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

:supz: ... :supz: ... :supz:... BUMP ... :supz: ... :supz: ... :supz:

I too am a PROUD owner of the ZLIGHT from Dusty. And think of him every time I dropped down and illuminate the bottom as I decend into the darkness. People I have dove with prefer me in the front and they shut their lights off and follow me !!!

AWESOME LIGHT :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Something that you might consider offering is just the light head. I don't need to replace the my entire light I just want to replace the light head I have a cannister that I want to use already. If that was available at a reasonable price I would buy one.

Just my $0.02.

Mike
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Rockfish wrote:Something that you might consider offering is just the light head. I don't need to replace the my entire light I just want to replace the light head I have a cannister that I want to use already. If that was available at a reasonable price I would buy one.
It is as long as you old settup is usable and the switch is in the can I can do that for you. It runs about $150 installed
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Dusty2 wrote:My funds are really scraping bottom guys so if anyone is getting close to ready to buy a light now would be a good time. I'll make you a good deal if it's soon.
Hello Dusty2, just wondering what that price would be for a complete light.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Linedog wrote:Hey Dusty, if you can hang on I have a kidney for sale on E-Bay. . . .
LOL! :rofl:
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

i been doing some reading on lithium battery packs they need a battery protection circuit that prevents you from over-discharging the battery. Over-discharging will damage the battery and render it use the first time you do it and most lithium battery pack don’t have this circuit on the battery pack this normally on the device you plug it into

not to mention that short circuiting them can cause them to explode and they need special charger
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

squid509 wrote:
i been doing some reading on lithium battery packs they need a battery protection circuit that prevents you from over-discharging the battery. Over-discharging will damage the battery and render it use the first time you do it and most lithium battery pack don’t have this circuit on the battery pack this normally on the device you plug it into

not to mention that short circuiting them can cause them to explode and they need special charger
All true. If you dig around on the link I posted above, you can buy chargers as well as protection circuits for various battery types. These are the same protection circuits that at least one major light manufacturer uses in their lights. Lithium batteries do require some extra caution and care, but it's not all that big of an issue. Your laptop is full of them.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lithium's are also about 3 times the cost of nimh packs The 11.4 volt 9.5 ahr battery is $200. and they have a finite life cycle.