Help

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Help

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:Lithium's are also about 3 times the cost of nimh packs The 11.4 volt 9.5 ahr battery is $200. and they have a finite life cycle.

The cost difference is basically a wash when you look at the quality NI-mh cells -http://www.batteryspace.com/Custom-NiMH ... erson.aspx

All batteries have a finite life cycle. A well cared for lithium pack will last just as long as a Ni-mh pack.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Nwbrewer wrote:
squid509 wrote:
airsix wrote:You can build/buy a lithium 11.4v 9ah pack that's under 2" in diameter and about 9 inches long. Not big at all.
i been doing some reading on lithium battery packs they need a battery protection circuit that prevents you from over-discharging the battery. Over-discharging will damage the battery and render it use the first time you do it and most lithium battery pack don’t have this circuit on the battery pack this normally on the device you plug it into

not to mention that short circuiting them can cause them to explode and they need special charger
All true. If you dig around on the link I posted above, you can buy chargers as well as protection circuits for various battery types. These are the same protection circuits that at least one major light manufacturer uses in their lights. Lithium batteries do require some extra caution and care, but it's not all that big of an issue. Your laptop is full of them.
Frankly, after my recent research I think all the fuss about lithium batteries is vastly over done. If you buy a device use it. If you build a battery pack put a protective circuit in it. There are millions, if not billions, of lithium batteries in use in a wide variety of devices with no problems. It is a waste of precious cerebral cells to worry about them.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

squid509 wrote:
airsix wrote:You can build/buy a lithium 11.4v 9ah pack that's under 2" in diameter and about 9 inches long. Not big at all.
i been doing some reading on lithium battery packs they need a battery protection circuit that prevents you from over-discharging the battery. Over-discharging will damage the battery and render it use the first time you do it and most lithium battery pack don’t have this circuit on the battery pack this normally on the device you plug it into

not to mention that short circuiting them can cause them to explode and they need special charger
My lithium packs all have protection circuits. Any high-amp battery can combust if shorted, and every battery type requires a special charger for that type and pack arrangement.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Dang Dusty!!!!

Post by coach_izzy »

I took my new "Dusty" light for a dive on Monday. All I can say is:

"Dang, man!"

The light exceeded my expectations and I could not be happier. Bob "Grateful Diver" Bailey was impressed with the output and I'm sure he's seen many lights in his diving career. I'm amazed at how much better my trim feels with this light, now replacing my formerly dangling UK Light Cannon.

Thank you, Rich, for putting together such an awesome light at such an amazing price. What a bargain!

Good thing I caught this thread!

Best!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

i rushed one out to a diver in spokane a couple of weeks ago because he was doing a silo dive that weekend. Funny part was he said that 4 out of the 7 divers on the dive where using my lights! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Must be doin something right. :angelblue:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Dusty2 wrote:i rushed one out to a diver in spokane a couple of weeks ago because he was doing a silo dive that weekend. Funny part was he said that 4 out of the 7 divers on the dive where using my lights! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

Must be doin something right. :angelblue:
I would buy a light from you again with absolutely no hesitation. Make great lights and customer service far exceeds expectations. :notworthy:
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Dusty2 wrote:Must be doin something right. :angelblue:
No doubt about it! That's a lot of bang for the buck you are putting there and divers know how to snag a good deal. If you don't have an Ebay store or Craig's List ad, you should.

Thank you again for putting out such an awesome product. It's always a pleasure doing business with an honest and hard working entrepreneur. :supz:
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?