Truck advice

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Truck advice

Post by Scuba Scott »

Looking for advice on a truck. I'm in need of repairing my existing F-250 that needs a new head due to spark plug blowout or trade / sell as is and upgrade. Not sure if I lease a truck or buy one. Need full size bed and tow 8000 minimum.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Truck advice

Post by defied »

I have a Silverado 1500LT, and love the hell out of it. I'm on 146K miles, with no mechanical issues (knock on wood). I can tow 6600-68--, but the 2500 I believe can do well over 8. GM Vortec V8 give fuel economy comparable to a V6.

D
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Truck advice

Post by cardiver »

I can get you on to a new Tundra for under 30, Scott. The 4.6 tows 8 and the 5.7 over 10.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I used to have a company Silverado 2500... worked fine. I never really hauled or towed alot (weight wise) with it it. But at that weight, Dodge diesel all the way.

But it also depends how often you do plan to lug that much around. Did a toe to toe 'race' over Snoqualmie pass with chevy/dodge, both diesels, and very similar tongue weight and the dodge walked all over me.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

wrecking yards are great places if you can find a lower mileage head and rebuild it, or just plane it with existing components. Sounds like a head leak, and you hydraulic'd the cylinder. Luckily it blew the plug instead of the bottom end.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

KneeDeep wrote: But at that weight, Dodge diesel all the way. Did a toe to toe 'race' over Snoqualmie pass with chevy/dodge, both diesels, and very similar tongue weight and the dodge walked all over me.
+1 on the Dodge Cummins Diesel if you're towing that much weight. I tow 10,000 lbs routinely with mine and I barely notice it back there. MUCH better than when I towed about 7700 with my previous truck (Chevy). The springs tend to be too soft on the Chevy's and although the Dodge isn't really built as well as a Siverado, the Cummins engine makes up for it.

On my Silverado, the rear differential feel apart after only a couple of years of towing heavy.

YMMV,
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

The spark plug problem is fairly common on Fords. We can often repair them. There are kits that insert new threads.

Brian
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Thanks for the advice.

Brian,
The spark plug was fixed last season with the special insert and that blew out again pulling the new threads with it. Not sure if a new insert would work again. Open to all suggestions.

Scott
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Desert Diver wrote:The spark plug problem is fairly common on Fords. We can often repair them. There are kits that insert new threads.

Brian
Unless its blowing because of a head leak/crack into the cylinder and its being hydraulic'd.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

If you want a good towing truck, I can vouch for the 2010 Ford F-350 Super Duty. My dad has one and it has a towing capacity of 15,000+. It's a great truck.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Here's the question: Are you still satisfied and happy with your truck (other than what the current engine issue is)? Meaning, when you look at it from the outside, are you still satisfied with it? Are you still happy when you sit in bucket seat and drive it. Are you still happy with the upholstery? Are you still happy with the gauges functioning, or malfunctioning? Are you happy with the power when it runs great with no issues like you presently have right now?
What is your budget?

Cause, if you're still happy with your truck, then just fix it. If not, time to part ways with the truck and get another new one, or a good used one. Fixing it may just cost you $5,000.00 or less (just guessing), but buying another one, depending on your budget could cost you from the upper $10,000's to whatever "bad ass" truck you desire. So, go figure! Fix or get rid and get another one.

I myself had an F250 Power Stroke and a Ford Explore with a V8 engine, both diesel and gas hogs, respectively. So, I decided to downsize and traded both for an F150.

$5,000.00 (just a guess) or $30,000.00? Which way are you going?
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Very valid points and the ones I am pondering also. The truck is in good condition and is a good truck. The down side is it is a fuel guzzling beast. I have an older Ford Ranger I drive now while the big boy sits in a shop. It is nice to get 20 mpg in my ranger than the 8 - 10 in the big boy. A new engine will not change the fuel consumption much. I need a truck to tow only about six times a year right now. Hardly enough to justify a V-10 for daily use. I'm leaning towards a 1/2 ton mid size truck for everyday use. With the Big Boy truck, the engine swap is about 6K. I might just fix that for the big jobs and also upgrade for a daily drive truck that is easy at the fuel pump.

sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Scott,

Keep an eye on eastern Washington and Idaho. We just bought a 460 powered F-250 in the tri-cites and are having it shipped to Sitka for for less than your engine swap. If you're only looking to drive it a half dozen times a year, then an old farm truck could be the ticket.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

It is possible that the spark plug is being forced out by water but I doubt it. We have used the Time-sert system with good luck. The advice to keep it if you are happy with it and trade it if not is good advice. Get someone to pressurize the cooling system to see if you get water in the bad cylinder. If so change the head. Its probably the head gasket. If not it would be worth attempting a repair with a better insert. I've been doing this stuff since 1982.

Brian
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I'm with Brian. A properly installed time-sert is stronger than the original tapped hole. A good machinist ought to be able to TIG repair the hole if it's stripped out and re-drill/tap for the proper insert.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

I found a certified ford mechanic who can do it real cheap. Woot Woot :pirate: