Westport Surfing

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Westport Surfing

Post by Scubie Doo »

I know that many folks on this board love the water. Therefore, I thought it would be appropriate to post some info on PNW surfing. My sons and I hit Westport a couple times a month. In fact, we are heading to WP this Saturday. If anyone wants to give it a try, rentals at Steepwater are $40 for board, wetsuit, and booties. And 'no' you cannot surf in your 7mm farmer john :neener: If anyone is interested in giving surfing a try hit me up with a PM and I will fill you in on all the details. I will also meet you in Westport and show you the ropes. I have taken 10-12 people out there at a time, so don't be shy. Take care and have a nice week!

Here are some photos from our most recent trip on 7/22. Nick and Nate are my boys.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Westport Surfing

Post by Tom Nic »

SHARK!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Scubie Doo wrote:I know that many folks on this board love the water. Therefore, I thought it would be appropriate to post some info on PNW surfing. My sons and I hit Westport a couple times a month. In fact, we are heading to WP this Saturday. If anyone wants to give it a try, rentals at Steepwater are $40 for board, wetsuit, and booties. And 'no' you cannot surf in your 7mm farmer john :neener: If anyone is interested in giving surfing a try hit me up with a PM and I will fill you in on all the details. I will also meet you in Westport and show you the ropes. I have taken 10-12 people out there at a time, so don't be shy. Take care and have a nice week!

Here are some photos from our most recent trip on 7/22. Nick and Nate are my boys.
Hi Scubie Doo, I have not surfed before, but have also wanted to give it a try. This Sat wouldn't work, but perhaps in the very near future I can make it.

What exactly would be the best type of suit and what not for it? How much do boards normally cost.

How about my dry suit :pirate:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

The best wetsuit for surfing in Washington is a 5/4/3. This means it is 5mm at the core and 4/3mm at the extremeties. This allows for free range during your paddle and transition. A full 7mm would be to stiff. You will also want some 3 or 5mm surf booties. Short boards are less expensive, harder to learn on but easier to turn, carry, and handle in the water. They run about $200-$300 used. A longboard 8'+ is easier to ride but more difficult to handle. They run about $300-$800 used. If you are just starting I would rent. Steepwater has all sizes of boards and you can try them out to find your ideal board. Personally I like long boarding. It is more casual a ride and washington surf is finicky. When the waves are small, I can still catch them. If I was on my short board I would be floating out there for hours, waiting for a wave. Hope that helps. I will post my trips to WP here and maybe we will see you out there :)
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

My wife is from there, and we go to see her family all the time. If one our trips meshes with one of yours I'll definitely hit you up for lessons. At the very least it'll give her something to laugh at on the shore.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ive been in grayland all my life with family, and used to have a cabin there, westport is one of the only places to surf , other than la push .. I even rock a surf shop sticker on my truck..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Scubie Doo wrote:The best wetsuit for surfing in Washington is a 5/4/3. This means it is 5mm at the core and 4/3mm at the extremeties. This allows for free range during your paddle and transition. A full 7mm would be to stiff. You will also want some 3 or 5mm surf booties. Short boards are less expensive, harder to learn on but easier to turn, carry, and handle in the water. They run about $200-$300 used. A longboard 8'+ is easier to ride but more difficult to handle. They run about $300-$800 used. If you are just starting I would rent. Steepwater has all sizes of boards and you can try them out to find your ideal board. Personally I like long boarding. It is more casual a ride and washington surf is finicky. When the waves are small, I can still catch them. If I was on my short board I would be floating out there for hours, waiting for a wave. Hope that helps. I will post my trips to WP here and maybe we will see you out there :)

If you're surfing and staying on the surface, would a thin tri-lam drysuit be better. You could even cut down on the amount of fleece you wear underneath right? Are you going for range of motion when paddling and then standing/jumping up?
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Is there any diving out near Westport? I get out there a couple times a year, but am not much of a surfer.
-J.W.