New URL, New Look

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

New URL, New Look

Post by dwashbur »

I've completely revamped the site of my Internet shows. With the visual change came a change of address. It's now

http://www.irvingszoo.com

There's game reviews, classic song reviews, and my daughter has a show on there as well. Take a look. I'm interested in all feedback.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New URL, New Look

Post by Norris »

The videos pan by too fast to read.
If you click a video a commercial plays, yet scrolls by so eventually when your video plays the commercial is playing in the background and very distracting.

Thats a quick look
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Norris wrote:The videos pan by too fast to read.
If you click a video a commercial plays, yet scrolls by so eventually when your video plays the commercial is playing in the background and very distracting.

Thats a quick look
If you full-screen the video it stops scrolling.
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

What is F.E.A.R. ?

Once the request to use Flash is displayed the videos are non-responsive. No sound no nothing.

Same speed comment.

Looks like a good start. When you get it tweaked it looks like it will be good.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

That must be a problem with your browser's Flash plugin, because I haven't heard from anyone else having a no-response problem.

F.E.A.R. is a game series built around a sort of SWAT team that's specially trained to deal with paranormal phenomena. It stands for First Encounter Assault Recon. It's a fantastic game series with a compelling story, assuming you like first-person shooters.

Any website is a work in progress; I'll see what I can do about the scrolling speed.
Dave

--
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I slowed the scrolling down considerably. Better?
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for the definition.

Nope, no problem with my Adobe Flash. Occasionally a site isn't properly rendered and it only accepts permission to store info for a second or so then freezes. If a person hasn't set it up to require permission, i.e. not taking advantage of security provisions they'd never know.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I'm not sure what to tell you. Of several thousand viewers, many of them repeat viewers who have been coming back for over a year, you're the only one who has voiced this particular problem. I find it hard to believe it's something on my (or blip's) end. But whatever.
Dave

--
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

dwashbur wrote:I'm interested in all feedback.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ArcticDiver wrote:Occasionally a site isn't properly rendered and it only accepts permission to store info for a second or so then freezes. If a person hasn't set it up to require permission, i.e. not taking advantage of security provisions they'd never know.
I've set up many flash sites and embedded flash in countless other sites. I have no idea what you're saying here. Could you clarify?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Tom has it right. The OP asked for feedback. I gave it. I wasn't and am not trying to diagnose a problem. I'm just providing what was asked, my experience with the material presented. What the OP does with it is the OP's thing.

Spatman:

The Adobe Flash on this machine is set up to give users the option of allowing the site to buffer on the hard disk or not. When the video is displayed a splash screen that is large enough to block most of the video is displayed asking the user to either Accept or Deny use of the hard disk to store content.

In this case the splash screen is displayed but clicking on either choice has no effect. I clicked on Accept, nothing happened. I clicked on Deny and, again, nothing happened. The splash screen was still displayed blocking the video. That has happened other times but is relatively rare. I'm told by the "experts" when this happens it means the programmer didn't do it right.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

ArcticDiver wrote:Tom has it right. The OP asked for feedback. I gave it. I wasn't and am not trying to diagnose a problem. I'm just providing what was asked, my experience with the material presented. What the OP does with it is the OP's thing.
Where exactly did I not say it's feedback, or where did I indicate any dissatisfaction with it? I asked a couple of questions and explained that I haven't heard this particular problem before. That's all. Frankly, Tom's snippet didn't make any sense to me, that's why I didn't respond.

I have no doubt this happened when you tried to access the pages. I'm trying to figure out why, because what you're describing is not something that anyone else has reported.
Spatman:

The Adobe Flash on this machine is set up to give users the option of allowing the site to buffer on the hard disk or not. When the video is displayed a splash screen that is large enough to block most of the video is displayed asking the user to either Accept or Deny use of the hard disk to store content.

In this case the splash screen is displayed but clicking on either choice has no effect. I clicked on Accept, nothing happened. I clicked on Deny and, again, nothing happened. The splash screen was still displayed blocking the video. That has happened other times but is relatively rare. I'm told by the "experts" when this happens it means the programmer didn't do it right.
When you say "this site," do you mean my page or the site that the videos actually come from? My pages do nothing but embed; they don't do anything with this accept/deny stuff. I haven't seen the buttons you describe, and to my knowledge neither have any of my other viewers. Hence, my confusion and request for more information.
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

dwashbur wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:Tom has it right. The OP asked for feedback. I gave it. I wasn't and am not trying to diagnose a problem. I'm just providing what was asked, my experience with the material presented. What the OP does with it is the OP's thing.
Where exactly did I not say it's feedback, or where did I indicate any dissatisfaction with it? I asked a couple of questions and explained that I haven't heard this particular problem before. That's all. Frankly, Tom's snippet didn't make any sense to me, that's why I didn't respond.

I have no doubt this happened when you tried to access the pages. I'm trying to figure out why, because what you're describing is not something that anyone else has reported.
Spatman:

When you say "this site," do you mean my page or the site that the videos actually come from? My pages do nothing but embed; they don't do anything with this accept/deny stuff. I haven't seen the buttons you describe, and to my knowledge neither have any of my other viewers. Hence, my confusion and request for more information.
No clue. I click on the link, the videos appear, the splash screen appears, I click on the splash screen selections and nothing happens. Usually when I click on the Flash Player splash screen selection the screen goes away and the video is visible. How fast/slow it displays depends on my selection and how fast the internet connection is that day, or hour.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Are you on the main page with the scrolling images, or one of the other pages with the links laid out in rows?

If you could snag me a couple of screen shots I might be able to sort out what's going on.

Also, each thumbnail should have some video controls underneath with the word "blip" to the right of them. Do you have that?
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

On the initial scrolling page. As the small 'thumbnail" appears the Adobe Flash splash screen is displayed in the image. Clicking on the storage selection seems to do nothing. Well, it blinks indicating the Accept or Deny command was received and that the button is hot. But, that is all.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ArcticDiver wrote: The Adobe Flash on this machine is set up to give users the option of allowing the site to buffer on the hard disk or not.
Unless Dave has other users reporting this same issue, I would guess the problem is on the user end.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

ArcticDiver wrote:On the initial scrolling page. As the small 'thumbnail" appears the Adobe Flash splash screen is displayed in the image. Clicking on the storage selection seems to do nothing. Well, it blinks indicating the Accept or Deny command was received and that the button is hot. But, that is all.
I have never seen that Flash splash screen. I asked a few other viewers and none of them has ever seen it, either.

If you have time, please do me a favor and click on the "classic song reviews" link above the scrolling area and tell me if you get the same thing with the thumbnail images there.
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

You mean just below the "Zoo..." heading? It showed an Olympics powered by youtube just now. No splash screen.

None of your folks see the splash screen allowing the user to select whether or not to allow content to be stored on the user's hard drive? Unbelieveable! That is one of the install options when Flash Player is downloaded and installed. Has been for years as far as I know. Most of the people I know select the option although, as I posted earlier, they can just select always accept storage on their hard drives. If they do that there is no splash screen because they have already made their selection. Some years ago that option was put in to alleviate one of the security concerns with the application, or so they said at the time.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

???? There's a menu bar right below the "Irving's Zoo" image. It includes No Life with Irving, Classic Song Reviews, Namio's Corner, Home, About Us, and Contact Us. If you're not getting the menu bar between the logo and the ad banner, there's definitely something wrong.
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

dwashbur wrote:???? There's a menu bar right below the "Irving's Zoo" image. It includes No Life with Irving, Classic Song Reviews, Namio's Corner, Home, About Us, and Contact Us. If you're not getting the menu bar between the logo and the ad banner, there's definitely something wrong.

Oh, that is there. I thought you were talking about the next item down.

In my breaks since we last swapped posts I went to a pretty wide variety of sites. Without exception the user choice splash screen displayed. When I clicked on my choice the screen disappeared and the video did what I had chosen. So, that leaves your's as one of only a few, none today, that has not responded as expected.

As I said before I'm not a Flash expert so I can only report, not diagnose or suggest trouble shooting procedures. Good luck.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

OK, thanks for the info.
Anybody else?
Dave

--
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I was thinking of you today when I encountered similar performance from another site. After some playing a bit it seemed that timing was the problem. In that case it was internet speed. Maybe in your case it is the loop speed? Someone else commented the images were presenting and moving on a bit fast.

Maybe no help at all. But......
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

Arctic diver, are you still on dial up, and using plugins to sort things out? might be that you are now one of the few with slow connection, and your circumstances are more unique these days.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

When experiencing a problem with a website, it's extremely useful to know which browser and version as well as operation system and version. And as Kat pointed out, any other odd variables such as old school dial up connection speeds.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Folks you are barking up the wrong tree. Problem is with your delivery, not my reception. I tried to tell you that by citing that your site is among the few, the rare with which my system has a problem. During my rehab time I've had an unusual amount of time to spend playing computer. Believe me if in those hours it was in my connection, or my computer, or my browser it would show in many sites. It doesn't.

Yes, for most trouble shooting it does help to know some technical things. Win7, IE9, DSL 1M, Adobe Flash 11.300.271, MS Security Essentials. All report they are up to date.

Have fun.