Anybody here good at physics?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Anybody here good at physics?

Post by LCF »

I have encountered a rather embarrassing confusion about a physics question, and I'd like to talk it through with somebody who's good with mechanics. Math, I know; physics . . . well, I still remember sweating bullets over trying to analyze the forces in a cross-braced gate on a final exam in college.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Anybody here good at physics?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Now I'm curious. I can explain the compression, tension, load lines, and shear forces in a cross braced gate, but didn't go to collage to study no fisicks. Is it something mechanical, or are you pondering covalent bonds and the like?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

With trepidation, I will say I know something about physics (being an engineer). Even better, my daughter is a third year engineering student at UW, and she just finished her physics and calculus. Between the two of us we should be able to figure it out.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Lynne, I betcha AirSix (Ben Messenger) would be a logical person to approach too :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's a fluid dynamics problem.

I thought about asking Ben, because Ben seems to understand everything :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Fluid dynamics - in a pipe or external flow? Gas or liquid?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

In the ocean . . . I really hate to confess what the question is, because I feel stupid that I can't answer it.

Is the speed at which a diver is moved by current affected by the mass or the profile of the diver? In other words, if you present a smaller cross-sectional area to the current, will you be moved slower? If you have more mass, will you be moved slower? I keep trying to think this through, and it seems to me that profile ought to have an effect, but I just can't sort out all the considerations. Just physics-challenged, as always.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

The answer is both affect the speed you will travel due to current, at least until you reach terminal velocity. In general, the greater the mass, the acceleration created by the current will be slower, due to inertia. The more streamlined the cross section exposed to the direction of the current, the less drag will be created, reducing the acceleration created by the current. These issues are only relevant if you are moving at a speed lower than the current. Once you are moving with the current (at the same speed) neither mass nor profile has any effect - you are simply drifting at the speed (and direction) of the current. If you try to change your speed (or direction) relative to the current. profile is more important than mass, but both have an effect: the greater your mass, the more effort it will take to change direction. The more streamlined you are, the less effort it will take to oppose the current or to change direction.

If this does not answer your question, let me know. I got my daughter to by into the above.

And now, I have only one more post to get to 100 and change my byline.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

"First, consider a spherical diver..."

Force on the diver is proportional to the velocity squared and the surface area of the diver (assuming density and drag held constant).

Power to overcome the force is proportional to the velocity cubed and the surface area of the diver (density and drag again constant). Mass does not appear so the power required to fight a current is the same if the cross sectional area of the diver is constant. That is an interesting result because it means that loading up a diver with scooters and stages must be changing surface area or the drag on the diver, top speed on a scooter won't depend on mass.

F = ma, so the acceleration on the diver will be lower if the divers mass is higher. If two divers who have the same profile (area and drag) are kicking into a current and stop kicking at the same time, then the lighter diver will be accelerated away faster by the force from the current. Of course in reality the lighter diver usually has less surface area so feels less force.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

So where is the " X " in this equation?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

BASSMAN wrote:So where is the " X " in this equation?
eXam airsiX eXpose....those are the ones I found, and I am really not that good at physics...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

lamont wrote:"First, consider a spherical diver..."
Would a spherical chicken be any different?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

renoun wrote:
Would a spherical chicken be any different?
With or without feathers?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Great responses by Magoi and Lamont - better than I could have articulated. I will add one thought that I hope will help make these concepts seem more logical if they don't already.

When you are immersed in any fluid which itself is not accelerating (be it air, water, etc.) your felt-velocity, if any, is only in relation to the fluid. Here's an example: If you hold a goldish in a bowl on your lap while riding in a car, what is the velocity of the fish? Relative to the fluid, the fish has no velocity. The fish is unaware it is traveling 60mph relative to the surface of the earth just as you are unaware the earth you stand on is traveling through space at 18 miles per second (and change). Likewise, a diver drifting with the current has no velocity with relation to the surrounding water. Size, mass, and profile only affect acceleration as Magoi and Lamont stated. So, if the boat is anchored in current and you jump in the water, your size/mass/profile only matters for the moment it takes the current to catch you and get you up to speed. Relative to the fluid, you only had velocity when you thought you were stationary. Once you are moving with the current you are, relative to your environment, stationary once again.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

"and, neglecting friction, we find..."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Brings back memories of some of my last dive trips. All but a couple would come close to fitting this description "spherical diver". :)

I'm glad you included drag in the equation. Whenever, a diver, or any other body, is moving at a different velocity or direction than the prevailing current(wind or water or ?) drag is an important component.

Actually if a person wants some really simplified and easily understood instruction in this area pick up a book on navigation, either airplane or boat. This is a fairly routine calculation for either. Of course now the installed computer does it for the crew. But, I think crew still is taught the Hows and Whys.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.