The Bottle Thread

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Re: The Bottle Thread

Post by ohopdiver »

Today near Denny Blaine Park, L Washington. Can anyone add any info?
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9312.JPG
JG FOX & Co.JPG
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Very cool soda bottle! Now I'll be looking for those in PT...
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Picked this nice semi-round bottomed bottle out in Cove 2 at about 130'. From the lip, it appears to be about 1870ish, but I can't find any info on the marks yet.Image
Attachments
IMG_0637[1].JPG
IMG_0638[1].JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

RVbldr wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:25 pm Picked this nice semi-round bottomed bottle out in Cove 2 at about 130'. From the lip, it appears to be about 1870ish, but I can't find any info on the marks yet.Image
That's a torpedo bottle .. they were used for pop and Soda.. Nice Find there not a common bottle
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

So, anyone have any good methods for removing barnacle remnants on bottles/glass/china without damage? They can be scraped off after soaking but that risks scratching the bottle. Thoughts?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well I usually use a diluted solution of water and muriatic acid... Find a bucket or whatever you have around the house fill it up with water and add a couple of cups of muriatic acid to it let it sit for a couple of days..
The other thing you do is buy a gallon of white vinegar and it's use like a diluted solution same method
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

I was wondering about white vinegar! Sounds like a good plan to try.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

RVbldr wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:53 am So, anyone have any good methods for removing barnacle remnants on bottles/glass/china without damage? They can be scraped off after soaking but that risks scratching the bottle. Thoughts?
Muriatic acid. Be careful, wear gloves and goggles! Does a great job. You can buy it in 1 gallon containers. I put some (1/2 diluted) in a bucket and use it over and over again for cleaning bottles. I keep a lid on the bucket at all times to keep critters (frogs, pets, etc) from getting in.

Tried white vinegar, was disappointed with the results.
Last edited by 60south on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

A patent medicine bottle this past week from Port Townsend (come bottle dive with me!)...

Ca. 1880's "Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root" (really??) "Kidney Liver and Bladder Cure, Binghamton N.Y. USA". Wow, gotta get me some of that!
kilmers swamp root bottle.jpg
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

that is a seriously kewl bottle
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Not as old but kinda fun-- found nothing but golf balls and cell phones while diving in PT the other day, and picked up this Coke bottle on a whim.

Turns out it's about circa 1942, with patent marks and says Seattle WASH on the bottom.
coke bottle1.jpg
bottle2.jpg
bottle2.jpg (78.81 KiB) Viewed 11881 times
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

That's awesome!!! Did you clean up the golf balls too? :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

ScubaJess wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 pm That's awesome!!! Did you clean up the golf balls too? :)
Of course!

The phones were mostly flip-phone burners with the batteries and sim cards removed (gosh, someone is paranoid). I did have high hopes for the super nice iPhone that looked like it was recently dropped by accident, but the battery blew up when I dried it out. Disappointing, that.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

OK, this one has me perplexed. Looks like a shot glass, maybe candle votiv?

Image,

60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Oi! This was kind of a crazy dive day in Port Townsend. Our afternoon slack (Dive title: "Slack? What slack??") dive turned out to be amazing. Clear, aquarium diving with tubesnouts and all kinds of goofy things.

-- A ceramic Chinese Tiger Whiskey bottle. The lip is chipped but this one is going on the oddities shelf anyway. ca. 1890's
-- Several medicine bottles
-- Old plate
-- Ford model-T (?) hub cap.
-- iPhone with credit cards and driver's license, to be turned in to the police as soon as it dries out and gets stinky.
-- A corked vial with some sort of silvery substance inside. At first I thought it might be mercury but it flows more like paint or a metallic coating.
-- Lots and lots of WWI vintage 30-06 ammunition (mfgr 1918). Holy smokes, we hit the ammo depo dump. I didn't bring up any of the 'live' unused cartridges but did bag a stripper clip and a few used casings.

glenn

17-oct-bottles.jpg
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

From Fort Flagler the other day... Claussen Brewing Association, Seattle Wash. blob-top beer bottle, ca. 1901. A bit sand-blasted after being underwater for 120 years, but otherwise in great shape.

An excellent history of the Claussen Brewing Association can be found here.

(Edit: Holy smokes! I just saw that JimbobAK found an identical bottle recently, and his is in much better condition. Cool beans!)
claussen_brewing.jpg
JimbobAK wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:19 pmJimbobAK
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

And now for something completely different...

A full bottle. Of whiskey? Moonshine? Kerosene?

We've found corked bottles before -- ink, rotten beer, hair tonic, clove extract -- but this is the first time we've found a booze bottle full of clear whatever. Just a little sediment, hardly any floaties. The bottle is molded but with an apparent applied lip, and bubbles in the glass, which suggests it's maybe from 1890-1900's, but the fact that's it was discarded full and corked into the ocean makes us suspect it was prohibition moonshine. The only writing on the bottle is "Imperial Quart".

I have it sitting in a bucket full of water to keep the cork from drying out. These sealed bottles often accumulate pressure over the years, and when the cork dries out they may un-cork themselves, and usually it's vile. But this one stands a chance of still being good -- or so I imagine, ha. If I had a hypodermic I'd try to sample it without uncorking.

Any suggestions what to do here? Could be fun. Or toxic. Or both. :)

bottle1.jpg
bottle2.jpg
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

60south wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 pm
Any suggestions what to do here? Could be fun. Or toxic. Or both. :)
That's got Scubie Doo written all over it.
Scubie Doo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:41 pm
I'm Jesse Miller and I have entertaining tales about drinking barnacle encrusted bottles of Corona that I've found while diving.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders, that was dive 1,000. I had to take a swig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 pm Penders, that was dive 1,000. I had to take a swig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best additions to the bottle thread ever!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Found a couple good ones lately in Port Townsend, both in perfect condition.

The larger bottle is from Glasgow, England, and the smaller one is an ink bottle from "Near Derby" England. The stopper is still rolling around inside it. Both late 1800's.
bottles_2.jpg
pjarnold.png
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

One of the nicest I’ve pulled out at Cove 2 and didn’t require much cleanup.
Attachments
274A6A9E-CD4A-4C27-B5FB-5743E12D70A9.jpeg
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

RVbldr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:02 pm One of the nicest I’ve pulled out at Cove 2 and didn’t require much cleanup.
Nice. That's in great shape!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Nice find!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

No idea what this one is. There's a manufacturer's mark of 3-0-5151, but other than that, no markings. Seams go all the way to the top and there's no lip markings. It's not quite a common milk bottle shape, so thinking maybe condiment jar from '30's-40's?
Clean Bottle.jpg